New here? Come in and introduce yourself
VTRsquid

Perennial Squid. New to Vtr

Post by VTRsquid »

Just picked this beauty up.
40k km
Wilbers remote shock and fork springs
Yoshi pipes
Bunch of other stuff including lights and luggage and gizzmos and all the original parts
15521119626338568686418080079761.jpg
Goes good
Slightly alarmed at the rising temps on a 27c day in melbourne traffic.
Was staying at 100c, getting up to 104c
Going down to 90 ish at 80kmh.
Idle was hunting up and down a bit. Getting up to 1300 one minute and stalling the next.
AMCQ46

Re: Perennial Squid. New to Vtr

Post by AMCQ46 »

Nice looking bike

27c riding is not a problem
For us brits :D
AMcQ
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Haha. It regularly gets to 37 here so actually a bit concerned about the temps.
Ie, what's the thermostat opening temp, and what temp does the fan cut in?
Yes it is a nice bike, he's looked after it and spent mone y on it. Never dropped, got all the oe bits .
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along sir, and indeed a tidy bike :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Dork box fitted
Also have two boxes full of all the oe goodies, levers, lights, cans, winshield mudguard, shock, forksprings, new pads filters etc etc all unblemished.
Got an amazing price, much cheaper than any other examples with more kays and less stuff
Not too happy with the lights so think ill revert back to standard, hes got a chain oiler on it and i think a -1 +2 sprocket set up.
Chain is beautifully oiled and clean and no apparent wear until you get real close and give if a wiggle, it seems a the orings have shat but chain is unworn.
Brakes feel a bit squishier than what im used to. Rear disc shagged but fronts fine.
Rear tyre is brand new Roadsmart 3.
So future mods;
Fit oe lights, pillion pegs and widscreen.
Braided lines
New rear disc.
New roadsmart 3 front.
New chain and sprockets. Probably stock gearing. I dont mind riding the clutch in 1st if i have to. Apart from that how do you guys find stock gearing? Can you sit on 60mph in top?
Its already got a speedohealer
Very impressed with the bikes condition and handling. Very confidence inspiring with the good suspension. It just grips. Especially at the rear w the new tyre. Gonna have a lot of fun chucking it around!
Attachments
15522012334805332233743187543396.jpg
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

VTRsquid wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:51 am Haha. It regularly gets to 37 here so actually a bit concerned about the temps.
Yes it is a nice bike, he's looked after it and spent mone y on it. Never dropped, got all the oe bits .
Hotter than we're used to here in the UK - 90s (32) spells here for a week at most and best keeping a reasonable rate of knots getting airflow over the rads. Not surprised at 37 the bike gets hot esp in stop start city/town riding. Leaving Brum racetrack after GP one year on hottest day of the year via congested access road (even just with bikes) saw a few bikes by the roadside shitting their guts of coolant from overheating. IIRC had to switch bike off in jams and leave the fan to do its work till until I reached clear open roads.

Best make sure you use engine oil specced for your local temps, coolant system is in tip top condition as well as the charging sytem / battery and that fan is operating to spec.

Download the Honda VTR PDF service manual in the Workshop Knowledgebase.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

One option is to fit a four-row oil cooler from an SP1 or 2.
That helps to keep it from overheating.

It's not a straight bolt-on, you have to get lines made up utilising the fittings from the std one.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Yeah i was looking at pictures of them on ebay last night, was a bit dissapointed they dont bolt straight up. So you cannibalise the fittings off the vtrf cooler and do a bit of brazing, yeah? Are they copper?
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Wicky wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:50 am
VTRsquid wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:51 am Haha. It regularly gets to 37 here so actually a bit concerned about the temps.
Hotter than we're used to here in the UK - 90s (32) spells here for a week at most and best keeping a reasonable rate of knots getting airflow over the rads. Not surprised at 37 the bike gets hot esp in stop start city/town riding. Leaving Brum racetrack after GP one year on hottest day of the year via congested access road (even just with bikes) saw a few bikes by the roadside shitting their guts of coolant from overheating. IIRC had to switch bike off in jams and leave the fan to do its work till until I reached clear open roads.

Best make sure you use engine oil specced for your local temps, coolant system is in tip top condition as well as the charging sytem / battery and that fan is operating to spec.

Download the Honda VTR PDF service manual in the Workshop Knowledgebase.
Will do! :Beer1:
shoot

Post by shoot »

G'Day,

I had similar issues with mine idling poorly and cutting out. Check for vacuum leaks at the carbs and the PAIR system. I removed the PAIR system on mine and replaced a leaky pipe on the front carb and it runs great now

Regards Mark
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Cheers mate. It seems a bit better now after a couple tanks of 95ron but that said i havnt gotten it as hot since that 1st ride home either.
I'll probably get the local bike mechanic to do a carb sync when i take it in there for a RWC this week.
Will do some reading up on this PAIR system -
Havnt really touched the bike since i got it,, just ridden it
Did a bit of online shopping for goodies last night,, mostly stuff i envision will be needed for RWC, and a Haynes manual. (love the Haynes lol) will download the real manual soon too but i hate using them, finding files and flipping between sections stresses me out. Will probably get OfficeWorks to print it out and bind it so i can put lots of greasy thumprints on it the way nature intended.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard :thumbup:

A very nice looking bike 8)
And in the best colour too :wink: :D

Chris.
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Cheers chris! Yes, red paint is known to reduce drag coefficient and increase volumetric efficiency on any vehicle.
Having a little play, putting the pillion pegs back on so i can start up my taxi service, i reckon it actually looks better with the stock lowmount with these pipes. Dont get me wrong, highmounts like yours are AMAZING, but with mine it just made them sit on a silly angle,,,, anyway its more functional now.
Stock windscreen, indicators and taillight are next. Tailight is a smoke/led arrangement with a programable flasher module. I like the idea of a flashing brake light, but its just not very bright so will put the ie one in.
Indicators pulse more than flash, not sure whats going on there but they are naffy fake carbon which is a pet irk of mine.
Hes also got an HID on it that isnt that amazing so ill chuck an led in there ive got lying around.
Hes also got additional front parking lights leds in the rad vents and red leds in the rear mudguard that lights up the back tyre with the brake lights.
Might be deleting some of that even though its good for visibility, im not sure im a flamboyant enough character to quite pull it off lol. Ill see if i can remember to take a pic next time its dark. pic
15523497605753598554156423625652.jpg