New to Forum

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: New to Forum

Post by sirch345 »

davebrannigan wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:58 pm Hi Guys, sorry for delay. Been Megga busy sorting the rest of brother in laws estate out.

I'm going to try and attach a few photos of the pipes on the bike, the original cans and what I think are the original pipes. To the untrained eye the front pipes look the same to me but I could be wrong. Until you try and fit them I'll never be sure. Any advice gratefully received.

On a slightly different note, and I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules but I have an engine for a FJ1200 that I'm trying to shift - proceeds going to Cancer Research. Anyone know anyone who may be interested in that? As I said I've been away from bikes for nearly 10 years now so my contacts are few. Shame to put it for scrap when it looks like a runner. It has some clutch casing damage which was araldited but there's a brand new clutch cover to go on it too. He has stuffed rags in the inlet tracts and I doubt he'd have done that if it had other damage. Any interest please let me know.

Thanks,

Dave
Looking at your photo's, the headers in the very first photo I would say are standard Honda VTR1000 Firestorm pipes.
IMHO the headers fitted to your bike (although not the easiest to tell from the angle of the photo's) appear not to be standard OEM parts. To me they don't look like a fancy race brand, more like a home brewed set of headers, which there is nothing wrong with that if whoever did the job knew what they were doing.

Are the link pipes for the MIG cans welded onto the headers?

Chris.
davebrannigan

Post by davebrannigan »

Hi thanks for the info. No the mug cans are joined by a clamp - not welded which is partly why I thought they may also have been own.

Trouble is I got about 20 balls in the air just now and I’m struggling to focus on any one thing.

I’ll get my carbs back (hopefully), start the bike, ride it and see if I like it. If I do (which I suspect I might) I’ll look to get the original cans and rear pegs back on. I’m checking yhevjets on the carbs to see if they were ready jetted for the pipes whilst they are off.

Cheers

Dave
davebrannigan

Post by davebrannigan »

Note to self, proof read posts before submitting! Oem not own, Mig not mug etc, but you got the drift I’m sure...

Dave
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

davebrannigan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:52 pm Note to self, proof read posts before submitting! Oem not own, Mig not mug etc, but you got the drift I’m sure...

Dave
I thunk will nee wad you mean...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

MacV2 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:30 am
davebrannigan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:52 pm Note to self, proof read posts before submitting! Oem not own, Mig not mug etc, but you got the drift I’m sure...

Dave
I thunk will nee wad you mean...
Bloody Hell Mac 8O I didn't know you spoke fluent Geordie. I'm impressed :lol:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

for what its worth, I have the same cans in the shed, from previous bike, and whilst swapping over from Migs to standard ones there was no need to play around with the jets.
they realy are a nice set, very light and right up there sound wise.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
davebrannigan

Post by davebrannigan »

Useful info though the previous owner had a propensity to mess with things so I wouldn’t be surprised if he did re jet it whether it needed it or not! I’ll check them once I get them back from cleaning. Anyone any ideas of what markings OEM jets should have?

Cheers
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

davebrannigan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:08 pm Hi thanks for the info. No the mig cans are joined by a clamp - not welded which is partly why I thought they may also have been own.

Cheers

Dave
In that case may be some more photo's showing the clamped area's of the link pipes to the headers and where the front and rear header pipes join together the next time you have the bike out may give us more of a clue, although if it is hand built it may not.
davebrannigan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:04 pm Useful info though the previous owner had a propensity to mess with things so I wouldn’t be surprised if he did re jet it whether it needed it or not! I’ll check them once I get them back from cleaning. Anyone any ideas of what markings OEM jets should have?

Cheers
For UK bikes if standard,
Pilot jet's will either be 45 or 48.
Main jets will be 175 front cylinder and 178 rear cylinder,

Chris.
davebrannigan

Post by davebrannigan »

Hi Folks, got my carbs back from ultrasonic clean tonight and I'm pleased to have had a peek and can report the main Jets are indeed 175F and 178R. The concept of them being altered was a malicious rumour. Looking forward to reassembly now and getting her running with the new choke nuts!

I could well be after those rear footrests and exhaust hangers very shortly so if anyone has some spare please let me know.

Also, if anyone has a right side silencer I may be interested as the bike has been dropped on this one and it's a bit marked. May change it if the price is right.

Thanks all for your help thus far.

Dave
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

They come up cheap on ebay but shunting heavy raw steel across the country can be dear

Best put your location in your user profile secone and see if anyone local has an old can in the back of their shed.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
davebrannigan

Post by davebrannigan »

Good idea. Just updated profile. Thanks!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I've got Std cans & hangers...Happy to ship to south wales...Shouldnt be more that £20 for the shipping... + the cost of the goods of course... :lol: :lol:
davebrannigan

Post by davebrannigan »

Ok so what’s the condition and the cost of the parts. Maybe some piccies.

I Need to put it together ride it and see if I want to invest in it before committing but if I have an idea of prices it would help my decision process.

Thanks
Dave
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

davebrannigan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:45 pm Ok so what’s the condition and the cost of the parts. Maybe some piccies.

I Need to put it together ride it and see if I want to invest in it before committing but if I have an idea of prices it would help my decision process.

Thanks
Dave
I'll dig them out over the next couple of days & get back to you...

Hangers £25

Can £20

+ shipping...The size of the box will determine the shipping cost possibly getting on for £20...

So your looking £65 ish...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Ok so I had a dig...

Only have a right hand hanger, so you'd have to sorce a left hand one...If no one on here can help there are plenty on Face book... I should how ever have the bolts & happy to send 4...
hang1.jpg
£10 as its only one side...

The can is in fairly good order could do with a shine up few small scratches but nothing major...
ex1.jpg
ex2.jpg
Let me know if you want either or both...

I'll PM you so you can mail me with address...