North West newbie

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Bluetinfloor

North West newbie

Post by Bluetinfloor »

Hi all, serial Honda owner here but first time for a firestorm.

Bought a nice 2001 model in blue last week, very good condition but stood indoors for 6 years and only done 500 miles in the 3 years before that.

So, a little re-commissioning required over the winter, will do a check over and replace all fluids & filters

Do I ask my CCT question now or is it polite to wait a few days!
Bluetinfloor

Re: North West newbie

Post by Bluetinfloor »

Ha - noticed the above was my 4th post, how odd.

Then remembered I joined years ago when I had an SP2, which I binned shortly after joining
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome back to the forum :wave: Ask your questions and take a look at "read me for new members" there are comprehensive instructions for changing the cct's over plus other handy tips.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome back mate. Best colour bike as well :thumbup:

Whatever you do make sure you do something about the CCT’s. A bike that’s been standing that long is a prime candidate for a failure!!!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Bluetinfloor

Post by Bluetinfloor »

Kev L wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:23 pm Welcome back mate. Best colour bike as well :thumbup:

Whatever you do make sure you do something about the CCT’s. A bike that’s been standing that long is a prime candidate for a failure!!!
Cheers - Is it the up to 2001 bikes that have this trouble and it was fixed on the 2002 onwards with an upgraded CCT ? Is this an option to go for I.e replace with later CCTs and then forget about it?
Gravelrash

Post by Gravelrash »

Welcome back. I don't think Honda have ever updated the CCT's or admitted to it? Then again, if they admitted to it they would be open to claims, so who knows 8)
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

There hasn’t been any ‘fix’ put in place by Honda.
Your options are to replace the autos like service items, regularly, do the stopper mod or replace with manuals, I chose manuals for mine and haven’t had any issues at all.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

All vtr's had the same cct's fitted regardless of year.Change them or at least do the stopper mod.The stopper mod wont prevent failure,but you wont damage the engine.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Just backing up what has already been said really. I have never seen anything in writing to back up that Honda has ever revised the CCT's, but then as Gravelrash points out they most likely wouldn't admit it if they had :wink:

Welcome aboard :thumbup:

Chris.
Bluetinfloor

Post by Bluetinfloor »

I was ordering something from Padgetts today so whilst on the phone asked the question of the service desk who in turn asked one of the long serving mechanics who reckoned that over the years he had one bike that had lunched the top end due to CCT failure and 2 others that had "preventative" CCT replacement done on the owners request. The service desk guy then found the CCT on the Honda parts system and reckoned the CCT now provided for the firestorm is tagged as a revised part.

But....... I hear you all, will address it before getting roadworthy for the spring (no pun intended)
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

You can buy manual cct's on eBay or bazza on this forum converts honda cct's to manual.Compare the price of Honda's replacements and the around £50 for manuals.I changed mine at 5000 miles as the bike had been standing for more than 10 years.Personally I like many others would not take the chance of mincing the motor.Your choice.
Bluetinfloor

Post by Bluetinfloor »

Bluetinfloor wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:24 pm But....... I hear you all, will address it before getting roadworthy for the spring (no pun intended)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Yes the CCT part no was revised but they still grenade

dreaded cct after 48hr ownership :-(
The dreaded cct let go bending all 4 valves and bending 2 valve guides aswel as killing the piston .These were changed for oem honda auto tensioners only 4 months ago prior to ownership 800 miles ago .
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Bluetinfloor

Post by Bluetinfloor »

Getting there - all fluids changed, new battery and Reg/Rec, now getting towards valve clearance check and stopper mod, will balance carbs on way back up.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Bluetinfloor wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:09 am Getting there - all fluids changed, new battery and Reg/Rec, now getting towards valve clearance check and stopper mod, will balance carbs on way back up.

Good work :thumbup:

Chris.