Hi from Devon

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
acrmnsm

Hi from Devon

Post by acrmnsm »

Hi I have a red 1999 VTR, its got very low miles and was stored in a barn. I've wanted one since they first came out so I am over the moon to have this.
I actually got this bike last summer but I have been abroad for a year. I just got back and want to get started!
I'm thinking given the storage I should do the CCT's straight away?
MacV2

Re: Hi from Devon

Post by MacV2 »

acrmnsm wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:10 am Hi I have a red 1999 VTR, its got very low miles and was stored in a barn. I've wanted one since they first came out so I am over the moon to have this.
I actually got this bike last summer but I have been abroad for a year. I just got back and want to get started!
I'm thinking given the storage I should do the CCT's straight away?
Yep deff do it...

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28583

Stored for a long time ?

Change oil &fillter, all hydraulic fluids, prob worth changing the fork oil & flush the cooling system...

Check the tank isnt rusty inside, check the tyres for cracks but personaly I would change them if anything over 5 years old, rubber goes hard with age.

Check the hoses under the tank for cracks & perishing same with the rubber diaphragm in the petcock.

It will probably need a new battery as well.

Oh & check to see if the Reg Rec is the old std one & change that, best bet is a Mossfet but that requires some re wiring or plug & play any late modle Honda unit...

Then there is the shock linkage make sure that is all moving freely best strip & regrese anyway...

If you need a manual I happen to have one up for grabs.

As a new member you wont be able to access Sales & wants or the PM feture until you have racked up 50 posts... So get some pics up & start chating...

Da Rules.... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19054

Pic Posting... viewtopic.php?p=449062#p449062

OH & welcome in, dont forget the bins in the pics, bring the biscuits & happy Storming... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
acrmnsm

Post by acrmnsm »

Cheers, plenty to be getting on with then!
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Hi and welcome.

I've had Storms and sold them and keep coming back. No matter what bikes we have, or have had, there is just something intoxicating and addictive about these beasts. Once you're on the road, you'll understand exactly what I mean. :D
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum. :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
acrmnsm

Post by acrmnsm »

I haven't even ridden mine yet.. I heard it running when I bought it but since reading about the CCT issues I've resisted starting it until I fix them.

I need a left wing mirror and the left fairing has a small crack, the seat unit is damaged too, anyone got anything they want to sell me?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Maybe try fixing the crack and touching up the paint

Plastic repair & prep on fairings with pics > viewtopic.php?t=26537
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
acrmnsm

Post by acrmnsm »

That is an interesting thread. Cheers for the link.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Hi and enjoy. Get them ccts done. You can then ride without that little devil on your back 👍👍
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club. Where are you based in Devon?
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
acrmnsm

Post by acrmnsm »

Yeah near Exeter, we have some quality roads locally.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

I have a lot of relatives in Devon. Admittedly north Devon!!! But your right some lovely roads, also some nadgery little high banked lanes were you dread meeting the local yummy mummy late for the kids 😂
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Richard wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:04 pm I have a lot of relatives in Devon. . . also some nadgery little high banked lanes were you dread meeting the local yummy mummy late for the kids 😂
Yummy mummies?

I'm heading down there!! :cool2
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Lovely part of the world. My Mrs parents live in Shaldon and her sister and her husband live in Ringmore. He’s just bought a bike, well almost, it’s a BMW R80RT! I’m looking for a bike to leave down there giving us the option for a few rides into Devon/Cornwall.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard :thumbup:

Chris.