Greetings again!

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
BigVeeTwin

Greetings again!

Post by BigVeeTwin »

Hello all!

Just about to buy my second firestorm (about 15 years since selling the last!!) ! Going to look at one later today (Saturday) but got a warm fuzzy feeling it will be “the one!” Ha ha. So looking forward to the banter back on this forum!

Can anyone tell me , I’ve seen the post about certificate of conformity from Honda and getting a test for the ulez in London but couple of questions.... do you need to do both? Or is it one or the other?? Also anyone sure it will pass and be exempt of does it depend how lean you run the bike at test time?? Anyone done it and now exempt??

Thanks in advance!!
MacV2

Re: Greetings again!

Post by MacV2 »

Welcome back BVG...

Re ULEZ, Storms are not on the excempt list as far as I'm aware you would need to get it tested & would have to have it running as lean as poss...Even then I doubt it would pass...

Hooog carbs mean lots of fule passing through.

Recently whilst hooning around Wales Pete L commented to me that at one point when I was in front of him he could smell the petrol from my bike... :thumbup:

Good luck if you go for the test but I fear you will be £175 down with a negative result.

Might as well use £175 worth of fule riding but avoiding London... :lol: :lol:

I do commute on mine but only into SE28 which at the moment in not in the ULEZ zone but I understand they are planning on extending it out to the M25.

If & when that happens Custurd will have to retire... :(
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

This is an eye-opener for me in West Mids on hearing first hand what some of you guys have to go through, and spend, just to ride to work in London. :(
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yep, almost £30 a day with the congestion charge and ULEZ.
Plus you get charged to park outside your house in some boroughs.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

I have early and late model storms at present and neither one complies with ulez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Hey welcome back!!
Electric here you come!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Richard wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:52 pm Hey welcome back!!
OK confession time... The council I work for has jumped on the green bandwagon & is planning to go fully electric with it's whole fleet of vehicals, from the smallest road sweepers to the dust carts...

I have been given the use of a Nissan van fully electric & TBH I quite like it, pings off the line really quick with loads of instant torque... :lol:

Just like driving an auto, plug it in every day at end of shift & it has a range of 130miles + On a normal working day the most miles I'll do is 30ish so range is not an issue...

Of course these electric vehicals are not as green as people think they are, still have to mine the ore for the steel & refine it + all the plastics inside it & lets not get started on the lithium mines for the batteries... :lol: :lol:

& the fact that when in 5 maybe 10 years, if your lucky, the batts are shagged & replacement battery packs will cost more than the vehicals worth...
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

MacV2 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:42 pm
Richard wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:52 pm Hey welcome back!!
OK confession time... The council I work for has jumped on the green bandwagon & is planning to go fully electric with it's whole fleet of vehicals, from the smallest road sweepers to the dust carts...

I have been given the use of a Nissan van fully electric & TBH I quite like it, pings off the line really quick with loads of instant torque... :lol:

Just like driving an auto, plug it in every day at end of shift & it has a range of 130miles + On a normal working day the most miles I'll do is 30ish so range is not an issue...

Of course these electric vehicals are not as green as people think they are, still have to mine the ore for the steel & refine it + all the plastics inside it & lets not get started on the lithium mines for the batteries... :lol: :lol:

& the fact that when in 5 maybe 10 years, if your lucky, the batts are shagged & replacement battery packs will cost more than the vehicals worth...
😂 My other mate, yes I have two, has an electric KIA and loves it!
However you are so right loads of hidden issues as has been listed but, who knows at 60 plus all this shite is my kids problem. Just need the buggers to keep working long enough to pay my pension 🙊
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Will they let you take it home?
You could save them a fortune in sick pay!!!
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

I have so wanted to get an electric bike for the experience, but there's no such thing as 'cheapies' (yet) in electric motorcycles. :(
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome back bvt , could you not get Chris to re enable your old account?
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Richard wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:00 am Will they let you take it home?
Well, my commute is 36 miles each way so I would be able to go in, do a day & go home... but would then prob run out of charge on the way in next day...

So I could charge it at home, which would be cheaper than fule in the Storm or charge it up over lunch at work but that wouldnt give it full charge. At the moment there are no public charge point anywere near me...

At work we have dedicated chargers, which charge the vans but they suck all the charge out first to sell back to the grid & then recharge at a cheaper off peak rate...

No one in managment has yet explaind to me what happenss if the power goes out before they are fully recharged... :confused :lol: :lol:

+ I'm happy at the moment riding into work* as It means I don't have the daily grind of the shite traffic on the A2, why queue when I can fillter ?

* Happy apart from the shite weather... In an ideal world I'd have a car (shudder...) for when it's raining or worse...but I havent so I have to put up with getting wet now & then...
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:43 am
Richard wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:00 am Will they let you take it home?
Well, my commute is 36 miles each way so I would be able to go in, do a day & go home... but would then prob run out of charge on the way in next day...

So I could charge it at home, which would be cheaper than fule in the Storm or charge it up over lunch at work but that wouldnt give it full charge. At the moment there are no public charge point anywere near me...

At work we have dedicated chargers, which charge the vans but they suck all the charge out first to sell back to the grid & then recharge at a cheaper off peak rate...

No one in managment has yet explaind to me what happenss if the power goes out before they are fully recharged... :confused :lol: :lol:

+ I'm happy at the moment riding into work* as It means I don't have the daily grind of the shite traffic on the A2, why queue when I can fillter ?

* Happy apart from the shite weather... In an ideal world I'd have a car (shudder...) for when it's raining or worse...but I havent so I have to put up with getting wet now & then...
What about a super scoot. I am taken with the TMax. They certainly hoon around on them on the continent. Good weather protection and carry space
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

BigVeeTwin wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:07 am Hello all!

Just about to buy my second firestorm (about 15 years since selling the last!!) ! Going to look at one later today (Saturday) but got a warm fuzzy feeling it will be “the one!” Ha ha. So looking forward to the banter back on this forum!

Can anyone tell me , I’ve seen the post about certificate of conformity from Honda and getting a test for the ulez in London but couple of questions.... do you need to do both? Or is it one or the other?? Also anyone sure it will pass and be exempt of does it depend how lean you run the bike at test time?? Anyone done it and now exempt??

Thanks in advance!!
AMCQ46 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:02 am Welcome back bvt , could you not get Chris to re enable your old account?
BigVeeTwin, if can you give me the exact configuration of how your original user name was written, then I'll have a look into getting your old account back-up and running again :?:

Chris.
BigVeeTwin

Post by BigVeeTwin »

Cheers for the offer Chris but I can’t remember what cans I had on my last bike let alone the username!! Ha ha !! I’ll just stay “as is” if that’s ok.
👍