New Canadian

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
perryholman

New Canadian

Post by perryholman »

Hi,

I'm Perry Holman from Woodstock, Ontario, Canada. I'm an older gentlemen as well (62) so I hope to fit right in with this group. From the posts I have read so far everyone does a great job at making members feel welcome and part of the group.

My story. I have been riding since I took a spin on my cousins Honda 50 mini trail back in 1970. I purchased my first bike a 1970 Yamaha DT-1 250 when I was 15. I've had a number of bikes through the years. It never gets old. Always fun. Love to ride!

Right now my primary bike is a 2017 Ducati Multistrada 950. Fantastic bike!

I was looking for a winter project, something I could have a bit of fun fixing up. Thats how I came to buy my red 1998 VTR 1000. It has a few km on her. 79,000 to be exact. It looks like it has the original Honda Cam Chain Tensioner on it. And Rectifier. Yikes! I need some help and direction on what I need to buy and do to fix that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not very mechanically inclined. Just call me fumble fingers.

I need some new tires. I was thinking Pirelli Diablo Rosso II or III's. A new air filter. What does everyone run? I priced a Honda one and it was $90. A K&N was over $180. But I did see a HiFloFiltro for $22. Any recommendations?

The bike has Hindle pipes which sound great! The gas guage low indicator is on constantly. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it the part in the tank or the instrument that is the issue?

My biggest problem is the lock and cable to hold the seat on. My bike doesn't have anything. No lock, no cable. The seat just kind of sits in place. The problem is I need the parts to get the safety check completed in order to license the bike. I have ordered the parts from a Honda related website 6 weeks ago. When I checked on the status they said those parts were back ordered. So I may have to jimmy something to lock the seat down. Anyone else with this problem? How did you solve it?

I also have an extra black, rear seat cowl available if anyone needs one.

You can follow me on my Instagram account - @perryholman19 to see more pictures of my bikes.

Take care,
Perry :D
mik_str

Re: New Canadian

Post by mik_str »

welcome aboard, fellow Canuck :)
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

Welcome aboard. :beer:
1998 Honda SuperHawk aka FireStorm
https://www.dwn4lif.com
My website 👆
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Welcome in.

Seat lock, well if you have to repalce the whole thing, it's not hard but you will of course end up with a diffrernt key.

If your ok with that then hit E-Bay/Craigslist or whatever auction site you have over there.

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... -rear-cowl

If you want one key fits all then a replacement lock set ingnition, fule cap, seat lock is the way to go...hit them auction sites or bike wreakers yards.

Save this site it's great for checking up parts... https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/l/hon ... 0f-a-parts

This is from the UK e-bay site, you can buy pattern parts or full sets second hand... The reason some come with the top yoke is that from the factory they use security bolts to hold the ignition lock in place...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... t&_sacat=0
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum Perry. :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club Perry
:beer:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Welcome aboard
It's all here and the abuse is FREE 👍😂
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome to the club
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Hey, Perry.
"I'm an older gentlemen as well (62) so I hope to fit right in with this group".

Not sure about that, we haven't seen a gentleman in these parts for a while now🙂

We'll try to up our game and behave.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard from Canada Perry :thumbup:

Tyres I would say are more of a personal choice, but I'm sure some members will chirp in.
You could do with a Haynes workshop manual, although don't follow it for doing the CCT's (Cam Chain Tensioners), apart from that I find it helpful at times.

I prefer the standard Honda air filter, as these bikes are quite susceptible to changes in anything to do with the air flow to the carbs. You can get after market filters such as K&N to work, but you will most likely have to pay for time on the Dyno to get the carbs dialed in correctly, other-wise you could end up with an annoying flat spot,

Chris.
perryholman

Post by perryholman »

Thank you all for the warm welcome and knowledgable advice. Greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Perry