Hello!......and light bulb!!

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
scrumps

Hello!......and light bulb!!

Post by scrumps »

Hi all, from miserable south east england (Bexhill to be exact). Last week my Triumph Daytona was joined by a Firestorm, 1997 reg and in amazing condition!
BUT...
Headlight bulb popped on me when I tried hi-beam, not a problem, new bulb. After a very quick look I thought, hmmm fairing off??
Can the bulb be replaced in situ?? It was a very quick look as the weather has been awful.
Any help / advice much appreciated.
Best regards
John
Wicky

Re: Hello!......and light bulb!!

Post by Wicky »

If you've got ickle dextrous hands or can borrow a small child then just about possible to change the bulb and replace the clip retainer in situ.

Otherwise just put a towel on the front mudguard undo the fairing fasteners, mirrors and the orrible fiddly hidden plastic panel retainers (personally I wouldn't bother replacing them) - disconnect the main bulb and eye light connectors and just move it forward to rest on the previously placed towel - do the bulb business and fix everything back to how it was - 10 – 15 mins tops & job done.
Last edited by Wicky on Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Hi and welcome.
Like wot he said, jobs a good un
Must be one of the easiest fairing to remove and refit out there.
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

Nighteye led bulbs are very good with a proper dip.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club. What Daytona have you got? Mines a 1969 T100T!
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Nosepicker

Post by Nosepicker »

Hi and welcome :wave:
Bad choices make good stories :D
scrumps

Post by scrumps »

Many thanks! Daytona is a T595, maybe turning 50, just appreciating... just appreciating good looking bikes. All electric in 2030....
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Live in the present, the future is an unknown land that we may never see, for whatever reason!!!
Dear God, that's a bit black!!!!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome along.

As said, the fairing is easy to remove, just little tricks to learn like having a 3rd hand to unplug the side light and headlight connectors once you have started to pull the faring forwards..

But I can also confirm that it is possible to replace the bulb in situ, just need good lighting to see what your doing, small hands and a lot of patience.
AMcQ
scrumps

Post by scrumps »

Many thanks for all advice......... changed bulb in situ!!! but still no low beam, checked fuses, high beam works fine as does sidelight, any ideas?? Very annoying as i want to ride to work, but dark mornings and dark evenings.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Check wiring and connections (clean and corrosion free) and switch gear. Esp from your first post with odd things happening with blowing bulbs.

A multimter would be a handy tool, and no getting round it but likely fairing off to investigate.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard John :thumbup:
Wicky wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:28 pm Check wiring and connections (clean and corrosion free) and switch gear. Esp from your first post with odd things happening with blowing bulbs.

A multimter would be a handy tool, and no getting round it but likely fairing off to investigate.
Good advice regarding your bulb problem from Wicky,

Chris.
scrumps

Post by scrumps »

Hi all, many thanks for all the advice!¬
i stumbled across an old post on this forum with similar problems. The advice was simple, probably the handle bar switch - try a little wd40. So i did, and it worked. I bought the bike a week ago and looking online at the MOT history it has only done around 600 miles per year, dry sunny miles - how many times has the high beam button been pushed? Maybe only at the MOT test. So if you are sunny days only and ride fairly old bike (mines a 1996), push those buttons!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

scrumps wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:43 pm Hi all, many thanks for all the advice!¬
i stumbled across an old post on this forum with similar problems. The advice was simple, probably the handle bar switch - try a little wd40. So i did, and it worked. I bought the bike a week ago and looking online at the MOT history it has only done around 600 miles per year, dry sunny miles - how many times has the high beam button been pushed? Maybe only at the MOT test. So if you are sunny days only and ride fairly old bike (mines a 1996), push those buttons!!!
I ride mine all year, all weathers & the switchgear still has issues. Strip & clean, flush with contact cleaner, re grease with dielectric grease. WD-40 is only a short term fix...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...