Say hello

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
CCM spitfire 05

Say hello

Post by CCM spitfire 05 »

Hi everyone I am not very computer friendly so don't normally do forums but I have had to man up because I have started a vtr project I would like to turn my 1998 firestorm into a scrambler motor cross looky likey bike so I really need advice.
Hope that doesn't piss you all of. 😀
lloydie

Re: Say hello

Post by lloydie »

Hello and welcome , good luck with clutch grab off road :beer:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Sounds an interesting project. Get some pictures up and ask away. Can’t think of anyone who’s done anything like that on here with a VTR lump.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
CCM spitfire 05

Well I am going to cheat so I think I will make a new tank out of plate aluminium and make a new subframe to raise the seat hight but I haven't really planned past that so I don't know if I will have to reposition the foot pegs or not I am certainly not changing the fork angle.
But to start with I need to replace auto cam chain tensioners with manuals which I have .
I am reasonably capable with spanners but just wondering if there is anything I need to know before I replace the tensioners?
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

or you could look for a bike with off road styling which uses a vtr engine...
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

A guy on the VTR Facebook page did a great one his name is Jan Diligaf. Had rather chunky knobbly tyres too Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

CCM spitfire 05 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:51 pm Well I am going to cheat so I think I will make a new tank out of plate aluminium and make a new subframe to raise the seat hight but I haven't really planned past that so I don't know if I will have to reposition the foot pegs or not I am certainly not changing the fork angle.
But to start with I need to replace auto cam chain tensioners with manuals which I have .
I am reasonably capable with spanners but just wondering if there is anything I need to know before I replace the tensioners?
First of all welcome aboard :thumbup:

Have a read of this link for fitting manual cam chain tensioners:-
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28583

Chris.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum. :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
gilson

Post by gilson »

Oh yes. Good luck.
No bike (yet).
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcoem, sounds like a mad project ... looking forwards to the results
AMcQ
CCM spitfire 05

:!: guys I may have been a bit over ambitious but I ain't giving in the cct are almost fitted and doing so I realised how well built by very small handed people these vtr firestorms are I hope that I can do the bike justice.
Ride on brothers and sisters 🙂
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That project could work out well for off-road gravel tracks, less so for muddy ruts, perhaps.

A VTR Firebreak?

You'll notice the short fork travel though, maybe a Varadero set would be better. I've never measured those but they will fit your yokes and should have longer travel.

Drop to a 15 tooth front and 1 or 2 up on the rear as a start point, but then you'll need a Speedo healer to get the Speedo to read right.

Good luck, keep up the posts and pics.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.