AMQ46's storm

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: AMQ46's storm

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:57 am They look smart, I take it that with the diameter of that axle you'll not be looking for a fork brace for those bad boys :lol:

& Chris recons that my Santa's sleigh is too heavy :lol:

Santa's going to need those radials on Rudolph to slow down at yours :wink: :lol: :thumbup:
:lol: :thumbup:
The extra weight equals more trips, that was/is the problem :problem: :eh: :shh: :lol:

Good work with the machining for the steering stem swap Al, whoever did it looks like they've done a good job :thumbup:

You seem to be making good headway with the conversion, those disc's looks magic 8)

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

agentpineapple wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:07 pm will you need to move the rads back Al?
I had to when I had the 954 front end, otherwise the lock to lock steering isn't very good.
I might have to look at that, any tips from when you moved teh rads? the top mounts are easy, but what did you do with to bottom mounts that bolt to the front Cyl? if you move them then you lose the fairing mounting clip location
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

fabiostar wrote:proper looking FRONT end (ya coonts lol)..

thats disc bolt pattern how close is it to the honda wheel??
Rob the pcd for the bolts is too big to fit on the Honda

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Wheel in

Lock stops fitted. I will see what it's like before I move the rads back

AMcQ
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:49 am
fabiostar wrote:proper looking FRONT end (ya coonts lol)..

thats disc bolt pattern how close is it to the honda wheel??
Rob the pcd for the bolts is too big to fit on the Honda

cheers Al... it was just a long shot, i know prillar stuff is the same as a lot of the yamaha pcd.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:03 am
agentpineapple wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:07 pm will you need to move the rads back Al?
I had to when I had the 954 front end, otherwise the lock to lock steering isn't very good.
I might have to look at that, any tips from when you moved teh rads? the top mounts are easy, but what did you do with to bottom mounts that bolt to the front Cyl? if you move them then you lose the fairing mounting clip location
You can move the brackets that bolt to the front head back a little and still meet the fairing holes, as long as you only move the rads back 20mm.
I secured the fairing mounts to the brackets using cable ties instead of button fixings, it gives you a bit more flexibility in lining it all up.
20mm rearwards is enough for clearance for blade 50mm forks; the legs touch the top hose linking the two rads but this just gives a "soft" stop to steering lock- you can turn it a little more by compressing the hose slightly before it hits the metal stops. It's useful when moving the bike around when parking but of course you never get near the stops when riding.

But afterwards, I found that the rads stay in place well enough with just the hoses locating the lower edge, and you can then do away with the brackets entirely. More lightness.....
Leaving the fairing lower points disconnected never caused a problem for me, I often forgot to fit the little buttons and nothing falls off or flaps about.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

thanks Tony, that helps make it easy.

On my conversion, the bottom yoke hits the top hose that joins the rads, but is not hitting the rads. I assume that is the same when you fitted the Blade forks?

also if you move the rads back 20mm what did you do with the bottom hose that goes into the water pump, do you cut it shorter?
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

AMCQ46 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:48 am thanks Tony, that helps make it easy.

On my conversion, the bottom yoke hits the top hose that joins the rads, but is not hitting the rads. I assume that is the same when you fitted the Blade forks?
Same with mine
also if you move the rads back 20mm what did you do with the bottom hose that goes into the water pump, do you cut it shorter?
No, it just pushes onto the stubs a bit more. Makes it a bit fiddly to fit but easy if you remove the water pump then bolt it up after the hoses are in place.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You're certainly making very good progress there Al, what you've done so far is looking great, well done :clap:

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:50 pm You're certainly making very good progress there Al, what you've done so far is looking great, well done :clap:

Chris.
That'll look well sweet when you paint it RED... :wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:14 am
sirch345 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:50 pm You're certainly making very good progress there Al, what you've done so far is looking great, well done :clap:

Chris.
That'll look well sweet when you paint it RED... :wink:
Red would work well with the gold forklegs :wink: :lol:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

iv serious love for your front and and how its gona turn out :thumbup: :thumbup: ...

what are you gona do rear wheel wise??
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Not got a plan to change the rear wheel Rob, them discs are so big you can't tell what the front wheel looks like anyway :D
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Top yoke modified with a spacer inside to bring it back to the same diameter as the Honda stem, plus machined from underneath to bring it down to the same thickness.
I will do a photo to show where it was machined when I take it off again

The std Touno bar clamps are a bit tall, 1" further forward and designed for fatbars, so I got there bar mounts off a TDM850

Then with the calipers mounted

AMcQ
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Looking ace AMQ, proper factory :thumbup: