AMQ46's storm

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
fabiostar

Re: AMQ46's storm

Post by fabiostar »

god that wheel looks good :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

lloydie wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:57 pm Nice Image you getting the rear too ?
not thought about the rear yet lloydie, need to work out what changes are needed to make it fit before I spend big money
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Little of here , little of there . New bearings and sprockets job done :-)
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

lloydie wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:36 pm Little of here , little of there . New bearings and sprockets job done :-)
your a bad man lol... :clap:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:20 pm
lloydie wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:36 pm Little of here , little of there . New bearings and sprockets job done :-)
I can't seeing anything bad about that :lol:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:47 pm

Chris.
lol hes not paying for it :lol: :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:36 am
sirch345 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:47 pm

Chris.
lol hes not paying for it :lol: :lol:
A bit late now, but may be Lloydie was thinking of treating Al for Valentines Day :lol:

Chris.
lloydie

AMQ46's storm

Post by lloydie »

No not al but Mrs al 🤤

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

realize this thread is fairly out of date and LLoydie has been asking questions of FB about how I rate the change after a couple of years of setup and abuse.

will cover the front end first, then talk about the shock later.

With my original Rogered forks and a coerce forkbrace, I had a set up that was perfect for fast use on less than perfect roads, but was a bit soft and flexible when pushed hard on the track. with the RSV4 Sachs forks fitted, I now had the opposite, and I struggled to get it composed on less perfect roads. I couldn't get a setting on the compression damping that smoothed out the faster impacts from lumps and bumps in the road to the refinement i had before.

So I went to Revs Racing to see if they could help me with set up, and although we tried all the usual setup baselines, their bottom line assessment was that the SACHS forks are a budget design, and they see a lot of Aprilia and BMW bikes in with the owners trying to improve the same issues, and there is only so much they can do with the standard internals.
the options they suggested were to either swap to the Ohlins forks used on the Racing version of teh RSV4, or fit new internals. as the Ohlins forks legs are bigger diameters and that would then need new yokes..... and given all the machining needed for this conversion was on the yokes, that was going to be too much extra work & cost ontop of the Ohlins forks.
So k-TEK cartridge's and springs were ordered and fitted, and that now gives me enough adjustment and refinement on the compression damping to set the bike up for any road surface :D

so if you are looking to copy this mod, and want a bike that is not just good at the track, factor in either to get the Ohlins spec forks, or a cartridge kit to bring the SACHS forks up to top spec.

the Braking performance and the feedback / support from the front end on fast smooth roads / tracks, was already a big step forwards, but I needed it good on all roads.
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Thank you for the update al much appreciated :thumbup: :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

update on the back shock.

at the time of the original front fork conversion, I had a basic Nitron R1 (single adjust, no remote reservoir) shock, with remote preload adjuster, with a spring to suit fast road use and an occasional pillion, it was pretty good, but I was looking for the ability to fine tune it more to suit specific riding conditions.

I saw an ohlins shock for sale on ebay, with the full adjustability of remote hydraulic preload, Compression damping on the remote reservoir and rebound on the bottom of the shock.
Got it fully rebuilt & serviced and fitted the same spring rate i had on the NITRON, got it fitted and off we go......... but now I find a similar problem to what I was having with the front suspension, it is kicking me in the butt over any sharp edged lumps in the road, and if I back off the compression damping to soften it out it will start to wallow when I am on the gas hard on corner exit.
I suspect that the spring was slighly too stiff for me solo, but not by a huge amount, and I was disappointed that I couldnt get this dialed out with the adjusters. in my view the NITRON was providing better high and low speed compression damping compromise than the ohlins.

So I saw a Nitron R3 for sale here. that is the top spec with High & low speed compression damping, so given that I rated my basic NITRON, I bought that and sold the Ohlins.
It turned out that there was a bit of confusion and it was only the R2 (no Highspeed Compression adjuster), but we quickly adjusted teh price to reflect that, and the deal still went ahead.
I fitted a spring 10% softer than I used before (decided that there will be no passengers on the storm) and that's what's fitted now. the net result with the combination of softer spring and Nitron valving has got the back end working how I like it. I have compliance and control.

and I swapped the gold Gilles rearsets for some black ones

gold anodised things like Ohlins shocks are over rated!

AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Nah, you're just not fat enough...😁
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:17 pm update on the back shock.

at the time of the original front fork conversion, I had a basic Nitron R1 (single adjust, no remote reservoir) shock, with remote preload adjuster, with a spring to suit fast road use and an occasional pillion, it was pretty good, but I was looking for the ability to fine tune it more to suit specific riding conditions.

I saw an ohlins shock for sale on ebay, with the full adjustability of remote hydraulic preload, Compression damping on the remote reservoir and rebound on the bottom of the shock.
Got it fully rebuilt & serviced and fitted the same spring rate i had on the NITRON, got it fitted and off we go......... but now I find a similar problem to what I was having with the front suspension, it is kicking me in the butt over any sharp edged lumps in the road, and if I back off the compression damping to soften it out it will start to wallow when I am on the gas hard on corner exit.
I suspect that the spring was slighly too stiff for me solo, but not by a huge amount, and I was disappointed that I couldnt get this dialed out with the adjusters. in my view the NITRON was providing better high and low speed compression damping compromise than the ohlins.

So I saw a Nitron R3 for sale here. that is the top spec with High & low speed compression damping, so given that I rated my basic NITRON, I bought that and sold the Ohlins.
It turned out that there was a bit of confusion and it was only the R2 (no Highspeed Compression adjuster), but we quickly adjusted teh price to reflect that, and the deal still went ahead.
I fitted a spring 10% softer than I used before (decided that there will be no passengers on the storm) and that's what's fitted now. the net result with the combination of softer spring and Nitron valving has got the back end working how I like it. I have compliance and control.

and I swapped the gold Gilles rearsets for some black ones

gold anodised things like Ohlins shocks are over rated!
First of all thanks Al for the update on the front and rear end of your Firestorm's suspension issues 8)

I can relate to some of the issues you have encountered with the rear end suspension, so it's interesting to hear how you overcame them :thumbup:

Chris.