Duffy's Streetfighter Project

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
scubadog

Re: Duffy's Streetfighter Project

Post by scubadog »

It sure is. And I didn't even mention the lack of space BEHIND the rad - a hot cylinder head and no room for proper airflow. That's why the side mount rad was the only option for me.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

get a rad and fan set in the passenger seat bit Duffers. It will fit. :thumbup:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

How about two vertical rads in front like the SP?
You get front wheel and mudguard clearance that way.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Wow thread revival. That's coming along nicely duffers. It will be good to see it completed. :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

bigtwinthing wrote:get a rad and fan set in the passenger seat bit Duffers. It will fit. :thumbup:
Yep, I agree you'll get a rad to fit under the seat no problem, but you'll compromise airflow. To work efficiently the rad needs air directed THROUGH it, not over it. Two issues with under-seat:

Firstly, the under-seat rad will inevitably face away from the natural airflow. The only solution here is to fit air ducts to route air up and through the rad core, and that'll almost certainly look fugly.
Secondly, you won't be able to efficiently flow the cooling air away once it's passed through the rad. It'll end up under the seat itself (handy for butt-warming in cold weather though).
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

scubadog wrote:
bigtwinthing wrote:get a rad and fan set in the passenger seat bit Duffers. It will fit. :thumbup:
Yep, I agree you'll get a rad to fit under the seat no problem, but you'll compromise airflow. To work efficiently the rad needs air directed THROUGH it, not over it. Two issues with under-seat:

Firstly, the under-seat rad will inevitably face away from the natural airflow. The only solution here is to fit air ducts to route air up and through the rad core, and that'll almost certainly look fugly.
Secondly, you won't be able to efficiently flow the cooling air away once it's passed through the rad. It'll end up under the seat itself (handy for butt-warming in cold weather though).

I saw one fitted to a bike in Poole 1 night, he had the Ducati 916 init, but the rad was in there, the vents had pipes attached to the top of the rad and a large fan below it, then all covered by mesh, he wasn't about to ask if they had cooling issues though, How about the huge rad fans on the MV Agusta thingy.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

bigtwinthing wrote:
scubadog wrote:

I saw one fitted to a bike in Poole 1 night, he had the Ducati 916 init, but the rad was in there, the vents had pipes attached to the top of the rad and a large fan below it, then all covered by mesh, he wasn't about to ask if they had cooling issues though, How about the huge rad fans on the Benelli thingy.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Hi all I know it’s been a while but life has got in the way a fair bit lately but won’t bore you with all that.
I have made a bit of a start on the neglected fighter project fitting a lightened flywheel and Powdercoaters satin black engine and rocker covers,rear footrest hangers,also sprayed oil cooler with Eastwood’s satin black and left hand radiator.

Still loads to do as I need new clutch and front brake lines made due to raised bars, new digital speedo as standard one doesn’t look that nice unfaired and need to sort out some more wiring.

Fitted a new battery and it turns over but not started yet as I need a right hand radiator as mine has cracked brackets.

I have the tank front Mudguard and belly pan painted and stored ready for final fit.

Got fed up wit not using it so going to use standard rads for now but I don’t like the look of them, so will sort that at a later date.

So here are a few photos of how it looks now. Image

ImageImage
ImageImage
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

ooh thats purdy.. the rads being black kinda hide the fact they are side mounted :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Thanks fella that was the best compromise for the time being as I want to ride the bloody thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That's a nice variation on a theme.
It's good to see a bit of care being taken for a change, and some thought going into the appearance of the bike in the photos.

It's not everyone that would have taken the time or had the idea of using a compost bin in the background.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Well I couldn’t beat Mac’s multiple bin shot so thought a change of tactics was in order

Duffy1964
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Just a shame that them tyres will be out of date soon 🤪

About time you got ta cracking on it ImageImage🤠Image
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

lloydie wrote:Just a shame that them tyres will be out of date soon 🤪

About time you got ta cracking on it ImageImage🤠Image
Yeah and they were on my fazer thou before that Image

Duffy1964
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It's been a long wait Duffy :wink: but I have to say the quality of the work looks like it's been well worth it :clap:

Chris.