Duffy's Streetfighter Project

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Duffy's Streetfighter Project

Post by sirch345 »

Duffy1964 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:29 am It’s Alive Image runs and sounds sweet.
Now have a leak on the water pump to investigate Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent news Duffy :clap:
Getting the engine fired up is as good of an incentive as you're going to get IMHO :D to get it finished,

Chris.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Thanks Chris it was short lived as it gave me a few more problems, but a couple of calls to Mac & Tony (thanks guys) helped me to see what was wrong.

Unfortunately the engine casing I had powder coated needed a new mechanical seal and it’s bloody well leaking Image
So I have another casing I have just sprayed gloss black to replace it with a seal that was fine before.
So need to dump oil & antifreeze out and swap them over and try again.
The other issue I had was after a couple of minutes running it cut out on rear cylinder, but with the fuel cap open it runs fine.
I have a freshly painted tank to fit when I know everything else is sorted so hopefully that one will be ok, I just don’t want to scratch it while I finish the build. 🤪

Will have another go at it next weekend Image

Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

All a step in the right direction. I'm guessing I will have issues myself as the bike hasn't been run in over a year. I can't wait to get to the stage of firing it up.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

I know what you mean Carl mine has been nearly 5 years

Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

that is looking proper :D
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Duffy1964 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:17 pm Thanks Chris it was short lived as it gave me a few more problems, but a couple of calls to Mac & Tony (thanks guys) helped me to see what was wrong.

Unfortunately the engine casing I had powder coated needed a new mechanical seal and it’s bloody well leaking Image
So I have another casing I have just sprayed gloss black to replace it with a seal that was fine before.
So need to dump oil & antifreeze out and swap them over and try again.
The other issue I had was after a couple of minutes running it cut out on rear cylinder, but with the fuel cap open it runs fine.
I have a freshly painted tank to fit when I know everything else is sorted so hopefully that one will be ok, I just don’t want to scratch it while I finish the build. 🤪

Will have another go at it next weekend Image

How annoying and frustrating I'm sure.

Don't let that deter you, you're getting there :clap:

Handy having a 2nd tank whilst you're still tinkering I agree,

Chris.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Cheers guys I’m starting to see light at the end of the tunnel now that’s for sure

Duffy1964
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Good day today in the sun.
Drained the oil and antifreeze and changed the engine casing filled up with new antifreeze and Castrol 1 power with a new Honda oil filter.
Ran her up and no leaks on water pump mechanical seal .

Offered up new speedo with my neighbor who is fabricating a nice bracket for me so it looks neat.

Ordered new clutch and front brake lines from Wezmoto.

Looked at it with a cheesy grin on my face
Duffy1964
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

A bit more progress today in the sun.
Fitted new Wezmoto clutch and front brake lines and bled them up in minutes using the syringe technique Image
Then took it for a quick spin up the road, boy it felt good Image

Have 3 issues to sort though.
1, New clocks I wired up don’t show tacho readings and I’m not sure why Image

2, I wired speedo to original loom from gearbox, but at around 10mph it reads maximum 199mph so may need to fit the crappy sensor they supplied that fits near the front wheel. Image

3, After a couple of small wheel elevations the headstock has a bit of play on the 929 blade front end. I just hope they nip up without any issues like Al had 🤪

Duffy1964
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Where did you take the tacho feed from. There's three options....coil, pulse pickup sensor or direct from the ICM. You most likely have an option on the dash to switch it to two cylinder mode too. As for the speedo, sadly I think your going to have to use the magnetic pickup unless you can find a GPS kit for it like Koso do. You may have to enter the wheel circumfance into the setup somewhere so it can do the math's.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

VTRDark wrote:Where did you take the tacho feed from. There's three options....coil, pulse pickup sensor or direct from the ICM. You most likely have an option on the dash to switch it to two cylinder mode too. As for the speedo, sadly I think your going to have to use the magnetic pickup unless you can find a GPS kit for it like Koso do. You may have to enter the wheel circumfance into the setup somewhere so it can do the math's.
I cut the original broken speedo plug and loom and connected the yellow& green stripped wire IIRC from looking at the storm wiring diagram to the wire on the new speedo Carl Image

I did this so as not to chop the bikes wiring loom about so can put it back to stock if so desired Image

Duffy1964
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I think that's one direct from the ICM then. Dod you not find any instruction for the dash. I wonder if it's something as lilly as a setting in the dash needing changed. Tell it how many cylinders you have. It's a shame you dont speak Chinese. :lol: Have you searched youtube to see if anyone posted some install and setup instructions on there. Youtube can be real handy for stuff like that. Or you can jut splay with button combinations and see what your discover and work it out.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Looking good Duffy!
If it's broken; should it move? Yes: Use WD40 No: Use cable ties. Now it's fixed!
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Well I had a bit of time off so had a play today on the fighter.

Fitted the New bodywork (well was painted 4 years ago) and decided to fire her up.

Bloody thing ran on one cylinder and was really lumpy and it really pi55ed me off Image

Made a call to Macster and told him what was happening and the in an instant he replied VACUUM HOSE FITTED CORRECTLY.

I felt like a right numpty but it soon passed with the joy of hearing her run Image

Just got to have a bracket fabricated for the standard clocks and tidy up the wiring and try and get an mot.

Here are a few photos. Image

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

And the Bin photo requested by Mac Image

Duffy1964
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Looking real good,nice bin too........