in dash gpi

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
agentpineapple

in dash gpi

Post by agentpineapple »

earlier this year I bought a healtech gear position indicator or GPI for short, I've always wanted one, I was fed up of hitting first gear for a slow corner when I wanted second.
I could have just stuck it on the side of the dash like 99% of people.
but seen as I had a spare dash from a salvage bike, I thought i'd give the gpi mounted inside the dash a go.
with the help of carl, we started hacking away to make space for the gpi, the healtech gpi is one of the smallest units on the market but we still had to trim it down here and there, plus lots of cutting into the backing plate behind the rev counter.
by far the hardest part was cutting the rev counter fascia.... :eek2
it's a one hit wonder, well it didn't go perfectly, but it wasn't that bad, the next thing was once it was all mounted back together the cut of the rev counter fascia against the gpi looked a bit rough, so it went in the cupboard for several months as I was a bit unhappy with it and other things were more important.
then I read the thread recently posted about gpi's, so I thought it's time to finish the project. I decided to take a black marker pen to the rev counter fascia, again it's far from perfect, but i'm now happy to use it, in the pictures you'll notice the top cover clear plastic needs a good clean and I need to refit the rev counter needle but other than that it's ready to fit and programme in...... :thumbup:

thanks for your help carl.... :thumbup:
Last edited by agentpineapple on Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Watty

Re: in dash gpi

Post by Watty »

Mate, I like it very much :D , good on ya both for having a go at summit different! :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

looks good fella, don't bother with the rev needle until after your dyno runs :lol: :lol: :lol:
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Looks right smart that :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I thought i'd give the gpi mounted inside the dash a go.
with the help of carl
Oy it was my idea and you helped me. Well... we helped each other with measuring and cutting different bits, but it was my idea. :lol:

Your right the alignment and cutting of the White facia is the hardest part. It don't look too bad for a first attempt. I reckon with a bit more time and all the right tools to hand that would look pukka. All it needs is a frame around it so it looks like the outside of the LCD to the right of it. :thumbup:

We did try cutting some Carbon wrap into a frame around it. But that was just too finicky....especially without a sharp scalpel blade and cutting board to hand.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

calm down calm down mate................ :lol: :lol: :lol:
it was a joint effort, lets leave it at that...... :wink:
at least my bike will now never do more than 16000 miles.......... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
although I won't be fitting it until after the mot.
I've also been looking into buying some tinted film that could be put on the underside of the rev counter, that way when illuminated it will be a different colour.
I was looking at this, what do you think.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181466236613? ... EBIDX%3AIT
not sure if it'll work, but it might be worth a try
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
eamonn

Post by eamonn »

Nice work I want one !!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

was looking at this, what do you think.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181466236613? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Argh.... you not going to believe this. I have just thrown out some Green and Red transparent sheets I had knocking around for filmaking/lighting. How would you stick it down :think: I'm looking forward to seeing that gear indicator up and running.

Kev L

Post by Kev L »

That looks good Marty, well done to the Marx brothers!!! You could always try learning to count to six though, might be easier!!!! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
monkeymatt

Post by monkeymatt »

Good job :thumbup: looks cool maybe you could find a bit of yellow tint :crazy:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

this dash will probably end up in the blue bike and as such my first choice would be blue film, it should have an adhesive finish on one side so you can stick it to the clock fascia.
and kev we are laurel and hardy not the marx brothers, how very dare you.... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

If we are laurel and hardy that must make Kev charlie chaplin and Al and Lloyd the marx brothers. :P

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I think al and lloydie are more like hinge and bracket............... :lol: :lol: :lol:
and virt is kevin the teenager, same haircut and everything
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Virt

Post by Virt »

Nope. I'm amazing, describe me in any other way and you can go wombles yourself :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
bald_pig

Post by bald_pig »

cybercarl wrote:
was looking at this, what do you think.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181466236613? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Argh.... you not going to believe this. I have just thrown out some Green and Red transparent sheets I had knocking around for filmaking/lighting. How would you stick it down :think: I'm looking forward to seeing that gear indicator up and running.

Nearly christmas, wait for the quality street ;)