Bellypan

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
templ8

Bellypan

Post by templ8 »

Bought myself a fibreglass bellypan off ebay last week, tested the fit and started prepping for paint.
To be honest it was a bit rough, lots of tiny bits of filler to get rid of all the small scratches and plenty of sanding the bumps smooth.

Anyway got it primed with 2k primer and then started with the water based paint from rs bike paints, it's a white basecoat (x2) and then another 2 coats of red followed by 3 coats of 2k clear.

Filled

Primered

White basecoat

Red topcoat

Finished on the colour, I'll let it dry right off over the weekend and lacquer it next week. Hopefully I'll get another dry windless day to get it cleared.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Bellypan

Post by sirch345 »

That's looking good, well done :thumbup:

Chris.
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Thanks

Don't think the wife is very impressed, there's a couple of half red pegs and 6 inches of red washing line out there, I've had 'the look'.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

:lol: sometimes a look can be worse than actual words :wink: It'll be worth it though :)

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Good work and looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

That's looking good mate :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

Be nice to see it fitted.
kev64

Post by kev64 »

templ8 wrote:Thanks

Don't think the wife is very impressed, there's a couple of half red pegs and 6 inches of red washing line out there, I've had 'the look'.
At least you did it outside !!

:D

Nice job
templ8

Post by templ8 »

2k clearcoat applied while the weather is ok, was a bit blowy but it's come out ok.

Cowl

Bellypan

I'll let it harden for a few days then give it a 1500/2000 grit sanding and mop it.

Not too bad for a first attempt !?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Looks very good indeed, very pro. Nice to see tac rags in use there too. Well done :clap: :clap: Was that rattle cans or did you use a gun?

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Thanks Carl

I used a HVLP gun and proper 2k lacquer. Only used that stuff once before on a wheel and it didn't look pretty.

Treated myself to a filter mask too, that 2k has cyanide in the hardner.

Watched plenty of YouTube video for advice on the subject, seems to have paid off.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yes 2K is not good. I don't mind breathing a bit of other stuff in but not 2K that is real nasty. I have yet to play with a gun. I must get a little home kit one day and give it go. Though I have made good progress with rattle cans it's so uneconomic, also I would like more options for 2k. The only thing that puts me off is cleaning all the equipment afterwards.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
templ8

Post by templ8 »

True, the cleaning can take a while but I've been using a gallon can of thinner that cost about £12 and a mixing cup to clean everything stripped from the gun, it's a little messy but worth it for the finish.

The best place online for spray equipment is jtb supplies in Salford, cost me £50 for the gun (1.3mm tip, filter mask, cups, mixing sticks, paint strainers and tack cloths.

The secret to clear coat is a high pressure on the gun (45psi) and a light first coat called a tack coat, let that go off for 5 mins then a full wet coat, leave that 15-30 mins and a final full wet or 'flow coat'.

The hardest part is getting it on wet so it flows into a glass like finish without getting it too wet so it runs.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

nice work mate.... :thumbup:
i'd love to get a spray gun as well, not sure my nan's neighbours would be to happy, it might spoil the smell of their afternoon curry.... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Haha yes it does smell a bit, my clothes stink of thinners