VFR750/Storm crossbreed race bike project.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
tony.mon

Re: VFR750/Storm crossbreed race bike project.

Post by tony.mon »

Good work.
So apart from the Ti bolt set what have you got planned next?
No project is ever finished....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Cheers all :thumbup:

What's planned next ? , It could do with some paint but there's no money left at the moment. the forks feel a bit soft and it could do with more rebound damping, it does work well just that there's no adjustment left. I have 0.90 springs 140mm air gap and 10wt oil, all the same as my Storm except that has slightly softer 0.85 springs, oddly the firestorm front end is nice and firm with good damping and adjustment left. I know the two bikes have different geometry but the 750 is I think slightly lighter, confusing really but at least it works for now. Maybe later on get Maxton to sort them properly. I'd like to modify the rear shock lower clevis to allow a little more ride height adjustment. And it would be nice to get it on a dyno, it was running fine but if the revs drop too low it doesn't pull, this isn't a problem as the working range is higher up the rev range, but would be nice to see if it can be refined a little, also to try it with no filter (there's a large gauze in there when the filter is removed) in a controlled environment.

For now though it works enough to race it. just not sure if i'll get the chance before August.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Well done bobkat .
Let me know if your at Mallory and I'll pop by
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

lloydie wrote:Well done bobkat .
same here
AMcQ
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

What pressure were you running on M7 on wet? I felt very uncertain with lower pressure, but arround 2.4 and 2.7 cold, it was good.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Stephan wrote:What pressure were you running on M7 on wet? I felt very uncertain with lower pressure, but arround 2.4 and 2.7 cold, it was good.

All pressures cold... I had 2.15 (31psi) in the front and 2 (29psi) in the rear.. Spoke to some others who ran their 750 race bike in the wet on the M7's and they liked them, they were running 1.75 (25psi) in the rear and 2 (29psi) in the front.
I did feel like they weren't getting the heat so lower pressures does make sense
My Super corsa's were set on 29 front 25 rear and were awesome on the VFR..

My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I didnt ride these pressures even in hot climate, but you are obviously far better rider, so cannot argue :)
popkat

Post by popkat »

AMCQ46 wrote:
lloydie wrote:Well done bobkat .
same here

Phoned today to try and get in to the Mallory meeting but it's full, they offered me a reserve place but I would have been in a queue so I won't be going as it's too far to probably not get out.

Might have to book a trackday but not ideal as I like the competition of racing.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Popkat,
Interesting to read how things went at Donington Endurance legends weekend after all your hardwork.
Glad to hear all went very well. What an impressive weight loss you achieved there on the VFR, well done :thumbup:

Chris.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Stephan wrote:I didnt ride these pressures even in hot climate, but you are obviously far better rider, so cannot argue :)
I think a lot of it is about feeling Stephan, if it feels good and works that's what matters, my short track time on the Metzelers on the VTR they didn't feel good to me, I will try them on the VFR for wet and cold conditions and hope they feel better, I will try different pressures until I'm happy.
far better rider, I don't know about that. But I'm definitely feeling slower the older I'm getting :lol: Hoping some track practice brings back the old form.

popkat

Post by popkat »

sirch345 wrote:Popkat,
Interesting to read how things went at Donington Endurance legends weekend after all your hardwork.
Glad to hear all went very well. What an impressive weight loss you achieved there on the VFR, well done :thumbup:

Chris.
Cheers Chirs..

I've been on to crmc about Mallory again and I'm now first reserve so I'm sending off the entry forms and hoping I can get in. I have until next Thursday to pull out of my entry, I'll phone them then and if I'm still reserve I Won't go. But what it means by sending the stuff in is if anyone pulls out of the races I've entered I'll get a place.
So Al and Lloyd leave some free Mallory time next weekend just in case I get to go :thumbup: (20th/21st May)

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Ah,! Bugger. That's Yorkshire weekend so I can't come and watch
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Sound good
popkat

Post by popkat »

I got the final instructions through for Mallory .... I have a place on the grid :D

If anyone fancies coming along I'll be somewhere in the paddock, they've given me number 134.. As a late entry I won't be in the program.

See you there Lloydie if you can still make it :thumbup:

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Great see you Saturday