TheGingerBeardMans' 1999 VTR1000F...

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
redpig

Re: TheGingerBeardMans' 1999 VTR1000F...

Post by redpig »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:
grumpyfrog wrote:Bikes still looking as good as ever. don't flog it, but if you ever get that way give me first dibs first please.
Seriously? Well, I'm getting to the stage of saying sod it, and selling up.

Dunno if you've been over to the Workshop dept, but me speedo packed in this afternoon, and it's MEGA bucks to replace the sensor (if that's what it'll be).

I badly need tyres, and now this sensor thing. There was a new chain n' sprockets fitted 6 months ago (DID50VXGB Black n gold and the chain is not going to survive the next few months - it's already rusty on the plates with the salt - My lock up is permanently damp with the floor constantly wet, and so even inside, under the cover, the bike is showing signs of accelerated corrosion, despite the ACF-50 :( :(

The more I think about it this evening, I'm in danger of making a rash desicion. :( :think:

Watch this space.......

I think it isnt such a bad thing keeping the bike outside under a good wp cover, the air flow tends to keep the moisture down and I think dries it off quicker when the bike is wet.
In winter as long as you wash the salt off after each ride and give it plenty wd40 the bike stands up pretty well.
Chin up mucker
ook
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

as I'm in Keith on Friday
This sounds so wrong...who's Keith :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

If your keeping the bike in a lock up don't put a cover over it as this will lead to condensation. Your better off leaving her naked in the lock up. I have a shelter outside and have never had a problem with the bike getting damp but if left outside and under a cover they get severe condensation under the cover
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

How do! - most of me bikes have lived outside, under covers. Leaving a bike up here, in the open, will get eaten by sea salt in no time at all. But, this lock up is not exactly wind n' water tight. Huge gaps in the top where birds nest, and the floor is always wet from the gap in the doors - So, the cover was over the bike cos when I went in to check the bike, it was covered in dust and feathers, and grit from the birds. As said, if I could get the storm into the house without having to remove the cans each time, she'd be in here all the time. (Used to have the FJ1200 and BSA in the kitchen, and a C90 in the living room). But, the VTR is too wide to get through the door.

I'll leave the cover off for now (it's the heaviest Oxford one they have, the storm one, lined and vented tho. I do have a this summer cover that only goes as far as the bottom fairing. If I put a blanket or sheet in there, within 2 or 3 days, it starts to smell foosty and you can feel the damp on it.

I'm not happy with the lock up, but it's a cheaper alternative to9 having the bike on the street again, where there's another chance it could get kicked over again.

Heavy sighs. Whats a ginge to do? :lol:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:
MacV2 wrote:No you have to keep it, as yours is not pictured with the madatory bin/skip/pile of rubbish. Get the camera back out...you must try harder..
Well, That's easily rectified!

Here's 3 bins :thumbup:

A Green one, a Brown one, and a Blue one. My gawd, I am REALLY spoiling you lot now.

(In me mothers garden before I put the white vinyl on the front of the bike)

So....can I sell it now then? :think:
lovely bike but that buffet doesn't look very appetising!

I,ll get Macs coat....
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
redpig

Post by redpig »

Hello GBM, did you get any brief encounters on hug a ginge day recently?
Just to clarify im not a gingist, there are several in my family, including my mum.

:silent: :silent: :D

by the way bloody nice bike
ook
TheGingerBeardMan

redpig wrote:Hello GBM, did you get any brief encounters on hug a ginge day recently?
Hug a Ginger day? Is there such a thing? Blimey! Well, the fact I've never heard of it kind of answers yer question. Nope....no one came up to me for a hug. In fact...no one comes up to me full stop. They never do for some reaon. :roll: :confused :twisted:

Maybe it's the cold glass like stare I give out?....the mucky ingrained dirt under the nails? The band of road dirt across the nose and under they eyes?....the well worn bike clothes and scruffy boots that are worn almost every day (even if I'm not on the bike, but attending a doctors appointment) I walk in and sit down, everyone else moves a chair or looks away! .... maybe it's the unkempt (although now a lot shorter) flame red face fur?...the limp due to fecked legs?....the tattoos.....blah...etc etc. :lol:
Yup - I'm a real candidate for testing someones stomach. Last time I had a hug (or any form of human body contact) was in March 2006. Ok, I'm not counting shaking a few hands at bike rallies.

Anyhoo. Hug a ginger indeed! :lol: :Ball Kick:

And thank you for the compliment on de bike. Much appreciated. It's a wee bit muckier now than in the photos, as the salt is getting to bits despite the ACF50. :(
Last edited by TheGingerBeardMan on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

TheGingerBeardMan

I mean....who wouldn't want to love a face like this?

Hmmm. :think: Apparently everyone.

Hence why it's much better I stick with K9s - they love you no-matter what!

It's a known fact that when I was born, they didn't slap me....they slapped my Mother!
:lol:

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You look like a fisherman or maybe a lighthouse keeper :lol:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

VTRDark wrote:You look like a fisherman or maybe a lighthouse keeper :lol:
you sure hes not on a wanted list lol
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
TheGingerBeardMan

VTRDark wrote:You look like a fisherman or maybe a lighthouse keeper :lol:
I'd like to be a lighthouse keeper...but where would I keep it? Me house isn't big enough... :lol:

Badoom-tiss!
Last edited by TheGingerBeardMan on Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redpig

Post by redpig »

You could stand on the cliffs part time waving a flaming torch and shouting DANGER, if you wanted to that is
ook
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Unfortunately lighthouse keeper is another trade that no longer require humans. :roll: and a fisherman is a dead end job :lol: You mentioned K9, what breed dog have you got?
TheGingerBeardMan

Had a fair few dogs in de past, but last one was a choccy lab. Joined at the hip we were and a proper dog that was into bikes. Rev the knackers off something, and he's there, tail going 10 to the dozen. Crafty bugger had a thing for screwdrivers, and would steal one as soon as you turned yer back.

A Gas Engineer came into the house once, and proceeded to lay the tools out on the floor. Up came Dig, said hello, and then started rootling in the guys tool box. The dog was shooed away. Digger waited till the guy went out to his van for something and then went back to the box, grabbed a rubber handled dumpy and took off with it up stairs. :lol:

Had to have him PTS not that long ago and initially put off wanting another one (he almost finished me after he went, and still gutted to this day). I've been looking on and off for another dog...a few I've gone to see fell through as other folk beat me to them....others changed their minds, and some dogs just didn't connect with me (or me to them).

I'm not sure if I'll be here long enough to take one on for the next few years, and that worries me. I think that's also stopping me from actually getting another one as I don't think it'd be fair on the dog...giving him a home, popping me clogs, and then he gets farmed out to a new owner again. I dunno. The health ain't there to go tramping o'er hill and dale like we used to, but I hate being dogless and I've still got a lot of love to give. It's a heck of a situation to be in.

It'd certainly be another dog long before I ever thought about another woman. (perish the thought and shudders just thinking that :lol: )

Anyhoo - here's Digger - with his helmet and goggles. He also had a click point harness. As he travelled everywhere with me up and down the country in the car, I thought it'd be good to later get him in a sidecar attatched to my FJ1200 - but that never happened. The sidecar plans were scuppered as the FJ was sold to cover a debt. :(

Yup, that's a real motorbike bike helmet from days of mega old. Called ''The Centurion'', made by MFG in Thetford. It's a pulp based helmet. Cork interior, leather headband and leather skirt. Buckle fastening with the outer shell made from shredded jute, paper and wood fibres.

His goggles are Stadium MK9s from the 60s.

:thumbup:

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Now that's cool. Man's best friend they say and it's true. I too am a dog lover. I get on better with dogs than I do people and their more loyal. :thumbup: I think I must have been a dog in a previous life.