a bit of spondoness.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
fabiostar

Re: a bit of spondoness.

Post by fabiostar »

nothing drastic looks wise. just lots of little bits to tidy up under the body work. you cant see them but i know they are there :thumbup: .

plus a long hard look at some ramair tubes i already have :eek2 and some petrol tank remodeling
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If you're remodelling a tank, why not buy a dented one to start with rather than cutting a new one?
With the holes cut you'll be able to get inside to push any dents out.

Now, I wrote that as a straightforward comment, but then re-read it, and so it wasn't written like it sounds, but if you do get in it, wear breathing gear due to the fumes.

:wave:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

tony.mon wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:29 pm If you're remodelling a tank, why not buy a dented one to start with rather than cutting a new one?
With the holes cut you'll be able to get inside to push any dents out.

Now, I wrote that as a straightforward comment, but then re-read it, and so it wasn't written like it sounds, but if you do get in it, wear breathing gear due to the fumes.

:wave:
ah ha. i already have a tank here i got with the castrol bike that donated the engine.

thinking being iv enough parts here to keep my intake/airbox/carbs/tank without touching anything. and build another complete intake setup using ram tubes, if it works well and good, if not i can chuck all the stuff im using now back on without touching/butchering the bike in anyway.

i also have a fairing of the same bike thats already cut for the tubes as it used to run ramair tubes :thumbup:

what could go wrong lol :clap: :clap:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It would be very good info to have a Dyno run before fitting the ram air and sealed airbox and one after, but you'll have to find a Dyno with a 100 mph fan.....
There's one near me but it would be a bit if a trek for you :lol:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

tony.mon wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:34 pm It would be very good info to have a Dyno run before fitting the ram air and sealed airbox and one after, but you'll have to find a Dyno with a 100 mph fan.....
There's one near me but it would be a bit if a trek for you :lol:
very true Tony, now here in lies the problem, or rather the decision, half the decision for fitting the ram system is because i love the look of it.
so will i fit it as more of a fresh air feed into the standard box or do i go down the route of the sealed airbox tub with the carbs fully inclosed into it as per proper ramair??

im not really chasing bhp because im more than happy with how it runs atm. bhp verses chassis im happy with.

who knows but it gives me something to be at during the long winter months :eek2
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Fit them as a cosmetic mod ! You know like bing stuff init man
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It'll make getting at the carbs easier- just lift the tank- but you have to pull the carbs off to adjust the mixture screw, which is why I went down the flo-commander route.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

well winter time brings cave time and i really wasnt liking my top yoke, infact hated the dam thing, to road bikey looking :roll: .

but problem solved, fitted a nice flat topped yoke without the pretty contoured edges, its the little things that keep me awake at night :lol: :lol:

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well, if it helps to keep you out of the pretty contoured hedges, all will be well
:thumbup:
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

fabiostar wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:54 am i can see a long winter of bike breakers and driving round the country with a measuring tape ahead :eek2 :eek2 :eek2
And by the time you, perhaps, find something that fits, the money and effort could have bought a lovely pair of Dymags :crazy: :lol:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Flatline wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:24 pm
fabiostar wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:54 am i can see a long winter of bike breakers and driving round the country with a measuring tape ahead :eek2 :eek2 :eek2
And by the time you, perhaps, find something that fits, the money and effort could have bought a lovely pair of Dymags :crazy: :lol:
stop being a bad man lol :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :lol:
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

:angel:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

ok gents pull up a cahir and bear with me :eek2

Dymags not going in, but thats left me with a major problem of a wheel. so, im gona make a storm wheel fit for peace of mind, but at the other end i had to cut the swingarm out over a year ago to be able to use the swingarm i have in atm so that problem two.i had to remove its as the dymag broke its carrier and a storm wheel doesnt fit the spondon arm, more about that later lol

so at the sharp end i cant get the bearings to fit the engine/frame/engine mount so heres what i removed

after much head scratching and machining and more head scratching iv made storm bearings fit the spondon arm using a mix of bearings/ spacers machined to size,jesus that stuff is tough to get through but, thats the sharp end sorted

easy bit over now the wheel and.

the storm wheel runs a 20mm axle, the spondons a massive 28 and the axle is so much longer than a storm aswell. so iv machined down the spondon chain blocks and recessed them for a snug fit. the storm wheel wont take 28mm bearings without machining the hub to dangerous levels that im not happy with.

heres one side before the boss go removed

so got that bit sorted but still several problems. the spindle length and dia, then the lightbulb moment, the storms engine/swingarm is the same dia as the wheel that im gona use, so thats what im gona use. a little trim on the outer blocks and bingo iv got length i need :clap:

so. now i have the engine end sorted. i have the axle width sorted that only leaves me with getting the spindle to fit the newly machined blocks, get the wheel centred, get a disc that fits and line up silly things sprocket/carrier/disc. just silly things :eek2 :eek2 :eek2

oh, and work out the rear caliper bleed nipple thats snapped or change the caliper for something else and space it.

im taking my time and thinking this through cause its gona be my ass on the bike and stuff this idea of its not period or shouldnt be there, i dont wana end upside down in a ditch just to use the period parts lol

to be continued !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Great work that Fabio. If you want to go back to 'period' wheels I'll bet you can get Blade three spoke Dymags, or similar, that would also be a straight fit to the Storm swingarm. Now you've made the Storm wheel fit it shouldn't be too hard to make one of those fit.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

freeridenick wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:36 pm Great work that Fabio. If you want to go back to 'period' wheels I'll bet you can get Blade three spoke Dymags, or similar, that would also be a straight fit to the Storm swingarm. Now you've made the Storm wheel fit it shouldn't be too hard to make one of those fit.
im keeping the front Dymag in place nick as it hasnt any issues and its a straight fit in the blade forks i use.

the rear really has give me a mare but its only because i want the spondon swinger back into the bike to make it a complete chassis again but the rear wheel im using atm will go in. it doesnt know it yet but its going in lol one way or the other :p .
the easy option is to use a set of six spokes but on this yoke i wana keep it 3 spoke at least atm