a bit of spondoness.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: a bit of spondoness.

Post by sirch345 »

Good work Rob :clap:

This is probably going to be a dumb question :crazy: but I have to ask :)
Unless I've missed something, if the Spondon chain blocks originally took a 28mm Spondon wheel spindle, how did you reduce the 28mm hole down to 20mm to take the Storm wheel spindle :?: :eh: Make up a spacer may be for each side :?:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

well that was the problem Chris :D . the spondon chain blocks are in two bits, they act as a quick release system which i wanted to keep.so.

back at the front end bearings sorted, spacers sorted,sleeves all sorted and in she goes.

sprocket carrier undercut on the inside to get my chain run straight.

if you look inside the spondon blocks you can just see they are two part, which i wanted to keep incase i need to pull it apart ever again

so to give me a safety margin i was happy with i bored the blocks out then sleeved them, i then bored the sleeves down to the dia of the storm axle, it meant a bit more work but i wanted good wall thickness on any spacers to carry the axle.

so im at the stage. the swingarm fits, the axle fits, the wheel fits and is centred, now the biggy. getting a caliper to fit and get it spaced to fit the storm disc or make the disc that came on the bike fit the storm wheel. much head scratching on this one???
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Impressive Fab, excellent job :thumbup:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

fabiostar wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:04 pm well that was the problem Chris :D . the spondon chain blocks are in two bits, they act as a quick release system which i wanted to keep.so.

if you look inside the spondon blocks you can just see they are two part, which i wanted to keep incase i need to pull it apart ever again

so to give me a safety margin i was happy with i bored the blocks out then sleeved them, i then bored the sleeves down to the dia of the storm axle, it meant a bit more work but i wanted good wall thickness on any spacers to carry the axle.

Hi Rob, can you explain to me how the QR system works?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:04 pm well that was the problem Chris :D . the spondon chain blocks are in two bits, they act as a quick release system which i wanted to keep.so.

so im at the stage. the swingarm fits, the axle fits, the wheel fits and is centred, now the biggy. getting a caliper to fit and get it spaced to fit the storm disc or make the disc that came on the bike fit the storm wheel. much head scratching on this one???
I'm glad I asked the question now :D I just couldn't see what you had done exactly in my mind, hence I had to ask :lol:
Yes I can see the Spondon blocks are in two parts now you point them out.

A good move I'd say in over engineering the new sleeves by allowing them to be a good thickness.

A lot of work in what you are doing by the sounds of it, who would have thought it was so much at first thought. You are getting there though :thumbup:

Thanks for explaining that.............................I can sleep better now :wink: :lol:

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

fabiostar wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:04 pmso im at the stage. the swingarm fits, the axle fits, the wheel fits and is centred, now the biggy. getting a caliper to fit and get it spaced to fit the storm disc or make the disc that came on the bike fit the storm wheel. much head scratching on this one???
Reading this Fabio, what is the issue with the disc?

Is the Vtr wheel too narrow for the trick swingarm?

How far out does the disc need to be to line up?

I have an idea :D :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Varastorm wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:49 pm
fabiostar wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:04 pmso im at the stage. the swingarm fits, the axle fits, the wheel fits and is centred, now the biggy. getting a caliper to fit and get it spaced to fit the storm disc or make the disc that came on the bike fit the storm wheel. much head scratching on this one???
Reading this Fabio, what is the issue with the disc?

Is the Vtr wheel too narrow for the trick swingarm?

How far out does the disc need to be to line up?

I have an idea :D :thumbup:
the storm wheel is narrower than the dymag, and the stroms disc is bigger. so i either make the small disc fit the storm wheel. or i make the caliper mount fit the the storm disc, but either way im gona have to make a carrier/outrigger to support the disc to make up about 25mm shortfall in the hud width.
@kermit. on the inside of the spondon blocks there is little cupped lips. so all i do is pull the axle out, then lift the wheel out. spacers stay with the wheel and the chain adjustment isnt touched at all, the caliper also stays attached to the swingarm in place. the swingarm holds it instead of the axle like on a storm..

tops 1 min from wheel in to wheel out, dead handy :thumbup:

@vara, any ideas just get them out there lol
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Ok, here's what I know.

When I was playing around with sticky tires & various wheel swaps (ages ago) after some machining I fitted a Blackbird front wheel to the Varadero.

Then I bought a Blackbird rear to do the same, so I thought.

No go, the wheel was a lot wider & wouldn't fit in the swingarm.

I'll pull them out of the pikey hoard (carrier & wheel) tomorrow & measure them up.

What is the Dymag measurement from the sprocket mount face to the disc mount face?

We might get lucky :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Varastorm wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:40 pm Ok, here's what I know.

When I was playing around with sticky tires & various wheel swaps (ages ago) after some machining I fitted a Blackbird front wheel to the Varadero.

Then I bought a Blackbird rear to do the same, so I thought.

No go, the wheel was a lot wider & wouldn't fit in the swingarm.

I'll pull them out of the pikey hoard (carrier & wheel) tomorrow & measure them up.

What is the Dymag measurement from the sprocket mount face to the disc mount face?

We might get lucky :thumbup:
il dig it out of the loft, i have it tucked up . could be a lucky hit aslong as the extra width is on the disc side, it was i tight fit getting the chain run right with the storm wheel.

if that makes sense. most of the extra Dymag width is on the disc side of the hub.. :thumbup:

well worth a look tho.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I've been out & put the wheel & sprocket carrier together, I've lined it up flush (carrier in the wheel) as there's no cush's to hand.

Now these are approx, rough "tape measure" readings just to see what's what ballpark'ish :thumbup:

From the sprocket face to the disc face I measure 7 1/2" or 19cm. Roughly.

The length from the outer bearing race (carrier) to (disc) side race is 8 1/2" or 21.5cm. Roughly.

No spacers :thumbup:

I've taken a stack of photo's but this site is awkward to host or maybe it's me.. "Thicko" :lol: :thumbup:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Install this so you can resize images on your PC with a right click

http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

Then upload them for sharing here which can also resize pics on the fly https://postimages.org
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

happy days vara il check tomorrow when i get a min :clap: :clap: :clap:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Wicky wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:45 pm Install this so you can resize images on your PC with a right click

Then upload them for sharing here which can also resize pics on the fly https://postimages.org
I'm ok with the resizing Wicky :thumbup: Its the how & where to add them on this site :thumbup:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Varastorm wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:04 am
Wicky wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:45 pm Install this so you can resize images on your PC with a right click

I'm ok with the resizing Wicky :thumbup: Its the how & where to add them on this site :thumbup:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=41262#p449062
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Code: Select all

[img]your image URL[/img]
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts