a bit of spondoness.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
freeridenick

Re: a bit of spondoness.

Post by freeridenick »

Excellent news. And a bloody good job you had all those issues otherwise you could have been picking bits of crank out of you shins. 8O
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

fabiostar wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:53 am ok so heres were im at..my motor is back, problems found :eek2 pretty much every bolt holding the crankcases together were hand tight at best :( i also had a cracked valve seat. the motor was pulled to the last nut and bolt and nothing else can be found, new set of mains put into it, gaskets and seals fitted, compression is well up on standard so its healthy,

now heres what im gona do after MUCH thinking, the mori motor for now im gona retire it because its an old race motor, a fit one but i wana ride this bike, go to work on it, sunday runs etc and doing that to this motor is a bit silly really so. for right or wrong and to save the motor getting miles on it. im wrapping it up in cotten wool for as and when.

im fitting a a good motor i have here with about 12k on it, im running my own carbs,the mori exhaust system, the HRC ignition unit, lightweight flywheel, clutch, gutted airbox,mori stacks, basically all the bolt on goddies but onto the low miles motor.. i get to ride my bike, i get to save a motor that lets face it if it lets go in a big way i cant find the parts to rebuild it as the parts like cams and pistons just cant be bought anymore :eek2 .

so there we have it, :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sounds like a good decision to me :thumbup: Now get that bloody bike back together! :Stewy:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

AMCQ46 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:09 pm oh and who is getting the blame for not tightening the crankcases back together? it wasn't as if it had a vibration problem,

and as another thought, how does any of the faults that they found in the engine strip, how do they link to the running problem you had?
i think the crankcases was just a cause of miles ,these things i suppose would have been stipped and inspected after each few races back in the day and i dont know what sorta miles are on it since it had its last health check,,the actual problem once pulled apart, well only a cracked valve seat could be found so somehow it must have been drawing air? it was gone through with a fine tooth comb. bores, pistons,cams,rods the lot seem good, i dont know know if these engines came with polished rods? but this one has a very shiny set of rods, id never seen them before and ,at once stage feel the need to touch them but JUST stopped short of licking them :lol: :lol: :lol:

i was just a passenger in the engine strip and done the watching thats all. left to a man whos forgot more than i will ever know so hes said, its good to go so im taking that as good :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I've never seen polished rods in a standard engine, so they've either been bead blasted, superfinished or they're aftermarket rods, possibly lighter weight.
The theory is that the bead blasting removes tiny surface cracks and they are less likely to fail. Also, polishing reduces internal friction.

No makers marks?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:44 am I've never seen polished rods in a standard engine, so they've either been bead blasted, superfinished or they're aftermarket rods, possibly lighter weight.
The theory is that the bead blasting removes tiny surface cracks and they are less likely to fail. Also, polishing reduces internal friction.

No makers marks?
its my own engine that has the polished rods in it tony not the doner motor, no marks that could be seen on them, im thinking sometime between this engine leaving Rogers place and me getting it somebody else has been inside it at some point as i dont remember Roger saying anything about it having polished rods.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I believe Roger did polished oem rods on stg2 and higher engines where he couldnt use carillo rods (moriwaki/hrc builds were not allowed to use them). So I wouldnt be surprised if he did it in your engine.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

fabiostar wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:24 pm i dont know know if these engines came with polished rods? but this one has a very shiny set of rods
OMG!
That bikes even got invisible bling. You've got to get it back together Rob and give it a hounding before you start getting too precious about it and turn it into a rather lumpy mantelpiece ornament :D
You know you want to :lol:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

I have to be in the crowd of "Who are you saving the engine for?"...... put it back where it belongs....

For the issues found, you really don't know if someone else opened it up somewhere along the way.
If so, maybe they didn't use the proper flange seal or any for that matter or even properly torqued the bolts.

For things loosening up, it would be easy enough to keep track of the case bolts with a quick check now and then to see if there is any trend of them backing off.....though I personally don't see that happening....more of an assembly error.
Like the cracked valve seat. Could easily be someone did a valve job and ground the seat a bit too much.

I can understand just wanting to ride the bike....you have also done yourself in by already knowing what the bike "could be"......so would you really be happy without the stomp?

Glad to see the bike back on the road either way but .......well you know, hard to see a fresh engine just sit and rot :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

8541Hawk wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:38 pm I have to be in the crowd of "Who are you saving the engine for?"...... put it back where it belongs...
I am on the same boat. Be honest and admit this engine has no real value as a keeper. Only somebody who wants to run it will pay some money, but not much these days. And price wont go up.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I'm really glad you got to the bottom of it... The strop is over & you can retrive your dummy now...

Or to put it another way, thank fek can you stop whining now ! :silent:

:lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

If you put all the Mori and aftermarket bits on the bike will the standard engine take more setting up than the Mori engine they are designed for?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:44 am If you put all the Mori and aftermarket bits on the bike will the standard engine take more setting up than the Mori engine they are designed for?
that i will find out very soon :eek2 ..

and yes i will miss the stomp outa the mori donkey but i really am just in a place that i wana ride this thing with no worries and no dummies being spat out lol...

if i feel like a change during the winter for next year i can pop its own motor back in, iv had this thing apart so many times i can change an engine in an afternoon now :D ..

theres a few big classic track events next year i wana bring it to and give it a good speaking to :lol: and that will need the mori engine back into it but for now il go with plan A and see how it feels.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

so, here we go

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Have you got oversize valves fitted?
When I went to 1mm oversize, it was discovered that there was enough on the std seats to cut them out, but obviously they'll be thinner.
And with higher lift cams with a more aggressive ramp the valves will snap shut harder, so a cracked seat isn't unlikely, with the benefit if hindsight.

Although you'd get some pressure leaking from that cylinder, I wonder why it gave you those symptoms.

All I can think of is of the edges of the crack got hot enough to glow and pre-ignite the mixture as it entered the cylinder. If that happened it would behave in cooler conditions, and when the engine was cooler, but as it got hot enough to glow and be able to ignite the mixture the problem would be evident.

Hopefully you have it now!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

yeah tony it has oversized valves in it. actually what you said about it getting warm? from riding it it used to behave itself but did get worse after a few miles and the temp went up, :( . god only knows really but at least the motor has been gone through now and its as good as it can be for an old donkey, at some point i will drop the donkey back into it just to make sure but iv no reason to think it wont perform,

when it gets into that sorta crazy engine details, im in over my head thats why i left it to a man whos forgot more than il ever know :lol: