a bit of spondoness.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
8541Hawk

Re: a bit of spondoness.

Post by 8541Hawk »

The only other place where you should be able to get a big enough vacuum leak to cause all the issues would be the vacuum tap on the front cyl.
Have you checked that fitting or plug?

Had to ask as I can't think of any other bit that could cause all this. :problem:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

8541Hawk wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:48 pm The only other place where you should be able to get a big enough vacuum leak to cause all the issues would be the vacuum tap on the front cyl.
Have you checked that fitting or plug?

Had to ask as I can't think of any other bit that could cause all this. :problem:
i have a take off for carb balancing on the front pot.. i did try blocking it at one stage but that didnt improve it either...

but im not gona worry about it, the bikes in bits now so stop me spending any more time on it, the more i worked at it or even looked at it, the more i hated it :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

With hindsight I got that way with my tuned storm towards the end.
I spent more time ripping it to bits and fixing things than riding it, and I got fed up with spending that much time in the garage.

It's a hard habit to break, as I found when I bought the SP2 and there was nothing much needing doing, so I invented/created some mods and did those. But I'm now cured; a recent MOT suggests that there is a little play in the rear wheel bearings, so I am doing those, but tbh I'd rather not have to. There's a great deal of comfort in a reliable bike....

But then, when you go out there's nothing new to show off! :oops:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

tony.mon wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:09 pm With hindsight I got that way with my tuned storm towards the end.
I spent more time ripping it to bits and fixing things than riding it, and I got fed up with spending that much time in the garage.

It's a hard habit to break, as I found when I bought the SP2 and there was nothing much needing doing, so I invented/created some mods and did those. But I'm now cured; a recent MOT suggests that there is a little play in the rear wheel bearings, so I am doing those, but tbh I'd rather not have to. There's a great deal of comfort in a reliable bike....

But then, when you go out there's nothing new to show off! :oops:
i hear ya on that tony :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: .. im tempted to just chuck a standard motor in it at some point, wrap its own engine up and have it for what it is.... i wana ride bikes not work on them anymore.

been giving it a lot of thought these last few weeks and ,the chassis i suppose is what this bikes about, race bikes or ex race bikes have engines that come and go but its the chassis thats the odd ball with this one.. :thumbup:
Ant

Post by Ant »

Hello fabio, been a while since I was on here last and I'm gutted for you that you've fallen out of love with this one. I know the feeling all to well with a couple of bigger projects I've done in the past and it sucks.
You're right about the chassis though and tbh a reliable standard engine in that chassis would probably be a lot more fun on the road, bragging rights on a race engine are nice but 100bhp is still a lot of go, certainly enough to get into trouble.
Hope you can re-kindle the flame for this one.
If it's broken; should it move? Yes: Use WD40 No: Use cable ties. Now it's fixed!
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Well IMHO you actually need a stout engine for that frame to work correctly.
Bracing or adding bracing to a VTR is kind of a tricky thing. If you get it too stiff, the bike tends to run wide on corner exit.

You need to brace the frame for whatever engine you are running. That is why you see different amounts of bracing on different frames.

So for ol' blue to work correctly, she needs that big power engine :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

ok so heres were im at..my motor is back, problems found :eek2 pretty much every bolt holding the crankcases together were hand tight at best :( i also had a cracked valve seat. the motor was pulled to the last nut and bolt and nothing else can be found, new set of mains put into it, gaskets and seals fitted, compression is well up on standard so its healthy,

now heres what im gona do after MUCH thinking, the mori motor for now im gona retire it because its an old race motor, a fit one but i wana ride this bike, go to work on it, sunday runs etc and doing that to this motor is a bit silly really so. for right or wrong and to save the motor getting miles on it. im wrapping it up in cotten wool for as and when.

im fitting a a good motor i have here with about 12k on it, im running my own carbs,the mori exhaust system, the HRC ignition unit, lightweight flywheel, clutch, gutted airbox,mori stacks, basically all the bolt on goddies but onto the low miles motor.. i get to ride my bike, i get to save a motor that lets face it if it lets go in a big way i cant find the parts to rebuild it as the parts like cams and pistons just cant be bought anymore :eek2 .

so there we have it, :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Sounds like a plan!

What will you be bringing to Scotland?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

for me that is a good plan .... and if you find you miss the extra donkeys then its no bother to swap it out later..

you have 1 week to get it done for Scotland ... so get on with it
AMcQ
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

im just not sure it will be ready for Scotland but il start on it at least.as i say the motors always sitting and i can pop it in at anytime :thumbup: . its kinda a sunday bike/day out bike with the mori motor fitted but for now i enjoy riding the thing and dont wana rack up to many miles on the fancy motor..im actually looking forward to getting back on the road no matter what engines fitted. :clap:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:53 am ok so heres were im at..my motor is back, problems found :eek2 pretty much every bolt holding the crankcases together were hand tight at best :( i also had a cracked valve seat. the motor was pulled to the last nut and bolt and nothing else can be found, new set of mains put into it, gaskets and seals fitted, compression is well up on standard so its healthy,

now heres what im gona do after MUCH thinking, the mori motor for now im gona retire it because its an old race motor, a fit one but i wana ride this bike, go to work on it, sunday runs etc and doing that to this motor is a bit silly really so. for right or wrong and to save the motor getting miles on it. im wrapping it up in cotten wool for as and when.

im fitting a a good motor i have here with about 12k on it, im running my own carbs,the mori exhaust system, the HRC ignition unit, lightweight flywheel, clutch, gutted airbox,mori stacks, basically all the bolt on goddies but onto the low miles motor.. i get to ride my bike, i get to save a motor that lets face it if it lets go in a big way i cant find the parts to rebuild it as the parts like cams and pistons just cant be bought anymore :eek2 .

so there we have it, :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Good to hear what was found with the engine, and what you are intending to do with the Mori bike, I hope it all goes to plan Rob,

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

oh and who is getting the blame for not tightening the crankcases back together? it wasn't as if it had a vibration problem,

and as another thought, how does any of the faults that they found in the engine strip, how do they link to the running problem you had?
AMcQ
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

fabiostar wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:35 pm im just not sure it will be ready for Scotland but il start on it at least.as i say the motors always sitting and i can pop it in at anytime :thumbup: . its kinda a sunday bike/day out bike with the mori motor fitted but for now i enjoy riding the thing and dont wana rack up to many miles on the fancy motor..im actually looking forward to getting back on the road no matter what engines fitted. :clap:
If you need a hand let me know.... It would be nice to bring her to Scotland.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Good decision Rob, now get on with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Duffy1964 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:46 pm Good decision Rob, now get on with it. ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My thoughts too Duffy.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN