a bit of spondoness.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
fabiostar

Re: a bit of spondoness.

Post by fabiostar »

tony.mon wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:41 pm It's the tyres.

You didn't kick them hard enough when you bought it.....
actually im just thinking, its also had new tryes :eek2 . pulled the coils tonight just to have it ready for the new ones, the plugs i removed are bang on perfect burn wise,plus they only have about 100 miles on them but new coming, the earth lead at the rear of the engine i just changed and tried it before i tore the coils of and its still the same so i can count that out.

its still starting brilliant, ticks over great, revs great but just wont pull its lardy butt down the road at all.

this is the last chance because i cant think or find anything else to change, so if it runs the same its cursed. :confused .

to be continued !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Hope you get to the bottom of it mate, if not the vultures will be after the goodies on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

the vultures are already lined up lol :thumbup: :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

well lads D-Day arrived, new coils/leads, plugs,battery aswell,, chucked them all on and .....bag of sh!te again,,

but before i burnt it i tried a standard honda airfilter just incase, i already knew it run like crap with a standard filter a few days ago but, it actually run,, bottom end is perfect, above 5k it goes great but still isnt keen to hold a steady 4k on a trailing throttle so prob a bit of jetting/pilot/fuel screw messing might help..

so im none the wiser as to why any of this happened,, its a runner, its ridable ,it does what it says on the tin but the love for this bike has long since gone :eek2 hates not a strong enough word but ,i have a runner so its covered under a blanket and i have to decide what to do with it now??

no way am i gona even touch the thing now regardless how close to perfect it is running wise..... its a bit like an ex wife :eek2 . to much history for my liking :( but at least i won in the end

i think?
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

What a tale of woe.

I had a Yamaha XS650 years ago that behaved very badly, spent months and months chasing an elusive fault.

It still pains me to this day.

It turned out to be the ignition lock wiring was faulty.

About the only thing I didn't do and to add insult to injury my cousin worked it out !

Ouch,

Bloody motor bikes.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

kenmoore wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:48 pm What a tale of woe.

I had a Yamaha XS650 years ago that behaved very badly, spent months and months chasing an elusive fault.

It still pains me to this day.

It turned out to be the ignition lock wiring was faulty.

About the only thing I didn't do and to add insult to injury my cousin worked it out !

Ouch,

Bloody motor bikes.
il never forgive this baastid bike for this year, ever. :Toilet1:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

and without touching it, it runs even worse :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 so more carb changing and anything else i can think of and im still at a point that this bike regardless of engine wont hold a steady throttle and the more i ride it the worse it gets..

i need this thing away from me. but how do i do that? sell as is? or is it worth more broken up?
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

fabiostar wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:30 pm and without touching it, it runs even worse :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 so more carb changing and anything else i can think of and im still at a point that this bike regardless of engine wont hold a steady throttle and the more i ride it the worse it gets..

i need this thing away from me. but how do i do that? sell as is? or is it worth more broken up?

It's worth more broken up....
Although you're not letting the mori engine go?
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

this must be boiling your brain mate ... I feel your frustration form here!

drain the petrol ....... for 2 reasons
1) to make it less flammable when you walk past with a box of matches 8O
2) to fully prep it for long term storage.

put it in a corner under a cover, and come back to fix it when you are retired
AMcQ
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

It's worth more broken up....
Although you're not letting the mori engine go?
[/quote]

That engine is worth a good deal of cash.If it was mine and i didn't intend to use it I would sell it on,but for the right price.If It didn't sell then relist at a later date.Someone,somewhere will be along eventually and pay proper price for it.It costs nothing to keep it for however long it takes.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

I know it's probably clutching at straws but have you checked the fuel lines Fabio?

Only reason I ask is because I took a deal on a GSXR recently that seemed to have a similar issue. After driving for a while it would lose power yet start and rev ok without load.

My lines, filter etc all looked good and it wasn't until I took a photo with the pipes in situ that I found one of the tubes had a kink which was restricting fuel flow. A couple of new lines later and so far so good.

If you do go down the sale route then I'm sure you would have no issues breaking it and with the problems you've had I'm sure no one would blame you.

Good luck whichever route you choose to go :beer:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

iv had a few sets of fuel lines on it over the months, and also fuel tanks, the strange bit is every single part iv taken of the bike iv been able to try out on the yellow bike when i had it , and it always run perfect...

the only thing i couldnt rem if id changed was the side stand switch, so two switches later and two bypasses of both switches made no change, i also tried jacking the tank up just to make sure i had no pipes being nipped as i was able to see them but that didnt help either...

unless the lord himself calls and fixes it, its history lads i cant be doing with it anymore.. i think the breaking route may be the way to go to get a few bob back out of it but more to just get it away from near me :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

just back in from trying it again and it seems to run semi ok for about a mile but any sorta throttle opening up the revs is fine until you give it the next gear then u have to wait around for 2 or 3 seconds before it clears its throat then away it goes again!!! same right through the gears , its only happy upto about 3 k or screeming its head of but each gear change brings the same sh1t and a contant throttle is still a no no over 3k......
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Back to basics - it ran okay before it started playing up. Can you recall anything you altered immediatly prior to the cursed running odd?

Have you made a spreadsheet methodically detailing all the parts and systems you've checked over/ replaced. If all else fails drop it off with Roger and see if he can hunt down and rid it of the elusive pesky gremlin...

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
eamonn

Post by eamonn »

Did this all start after fitting the modified petrol tank ?
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

well heres how it started. went for a run in March, ran great, parked the bike.

two days later fitted my new tank and on that day it started running like this. now this is with the mori engine fitted. changed carbs,ecu,coils,tank X3 petcocks rec unit,battery. checked the eletrics all seemed good , turned out the mori donkey was running so lean on the front pot it was pure white.

total fail so pulled the mori engine and found id a cracked valve seat. so mori engine refeshed and tucked away for safe keeping.

enter doner bike with only 12k on the engine which was running perfect... i lifted its engine,carbs airbox, ecu. loom, new coils plugs caps,

still doing the same thing as the mori engine, now this is with the doner engines full set up un touched in any way..

with this new engine iv since fitted at least three sets of carbs and more new plugs, another set of ecu boxes, yet another complete loom :eek2 , side stand switch,kill switch, oil pressure switch,even starter cable and ignition switch...

while all this was going on when i still owned old yellow every bit i took of the bike i tried on the yellow bike it it never showed any signs of bad running.

the motor in it now ticks over great, starts on the button and sounds really crisp, until you ride it then it splutters at 4k and refuses to hold a steady throttle to the point i cant go further than abour 5 or 6 miles from home cause it doesnt feel like its gona make it back to the house.

not one thing from the bike as was is on it now carb and electrics wise...

the b8stard has me beat and wasted enough of my time.

so forgetting the frame and the other fancy sh1t on the bike what im dealing with here is a standard storm thats doing this crap?