Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Varastorm

Re: Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Post by Varastorm »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:39 pm
Not wishing to up-set the apple cart so-to-speak seeing as you have already ordered up a set of 6mm straight connectors, but aren't the VTR oil pipes 10mm OD :?:

I made some inquiries into sourcing a new pair of purposely made oil pipes locally a while back for my Storm. I was advised reducing the ID of the oil pipes was certainly not recommended as it will restrict the oil flow. If you use compression joints, the point where the olive sits will mean the ID will be reduced as you compress the olive as I'm sure you are fully aware of. You could do a dummy run and see by how much on an old bit of pipe before going any further,

Chris.
Right then, who needs any 6mm inline pipe connectors :lol: going cheap.. :Thumb Down:

Don't ask where I got 6mm from because I'm not too sure either :lol: Might of been from that still project under the bench :Whistle:

Thanks Chris, 10mm it is :oops: :Worship:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

:lol: it could have been worse.

I've not measured the pipe OD on my Storm, but I'm sure they are not 6mm :)

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

The incorrect & correct inline pipe connentions have arrived..

I've also been to the local steel stockists the other day to purchace some aluminium for the dreaded battery box.

I'm hoping to make front & side number plate's from it also, hence the size :wink:

I also bought some VTR clocks to make sure everything works as it should especially temp wise when I get it running

The plan is to sell the clocks on once I'm happy with the running

These also arrived, one genuine Varadero engine bolt & some risers for the handlebars, flattracker'ish style.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You were lucky to find those bar risers, they are rare :wink:
Good to see you have bought the alloy plate, I'll say no more about that :wink:

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

fabiostar wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:50 am vara if you go down the bird cooler route il do you one VERY cheap. with the fairing on mine i dont have the room 8O

Fab, would I be correct in thinking that the Honda blackbird oil cooler size Size is 133mm x 76mm x 32mm?

Just doing some chin rubbing, thanks in advance :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

il have a wee look and see what size it is :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sniffipn

Post by sniffipn »

Varastorm wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:53 pm You guys are NuTs.. :lol:

Firstly, I took a mind photograph & removed the required line, wrapped a leather welding glove around the shank & slightly tightened it in the vice, 180° was the target.
useful tip using the glove. i've put aluminium jaws on the vice - and keep a strip of lead by it. firm grip, can still see what i'm doing and no marks on the part being held.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I've been so busy at work that work on the project has stopped, still stuck on the battery box though..

I can't believe it's close to two years since the project began.

So I've celebrated the occasion & bought another welder.

I've had to empty the shed to fit it under the bench & It's forced my hand to toss loads of handy stuff/crap :lol: I should of done it long ago really.

I now have space to work in the shed again 8) :thumbup:

Once I've completed the chores the Mrs Vara has given me, bathroom, Hall, bedroom.. :problem:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

sniffipn wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:21 am
Varastorm wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:53 pm You guys are NuTs.. :lol:

Firstly, I took a mind photograph & removed the required line, wrapped a leather welding glove around the shank & slightly tightened it in the vice, 180° was the target.
useful tip using the glove. i've put aluminium jaws on the vice - and keep a strip of lead by it. firm grip, can still see what i'm doing and no marks on the part being held.
I made some aluminium jaws up :thumbup: based on the Record 5"er on the pallet/bench outside. I later placed them on the Record vice in the shed & that's a 4"er.. :eek2 I forgot they were different sizes :lol:

They're a bit wobbly but will do for now. Thanks :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I did do one job, I made up some hybrid coils. Cbr600fy coils with Vtr/Varadero rubber boots.

Here are the old & new coils.

Leads removed.

Lining them up to get an idea oh what's what & where to cut.

I was hoping to slide the majority of the boot over the Cbr coil but not possible.

Half way there.

What a faf removing the old plug connector.

Job done, they look a bit swollen but once on the engine you get the reassuring "zip" noise going on the plug & there's no wobble at all.

All that's left to do is work out the wiring & make the dreaded battery box.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Varastorm wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:36 pm
fabiostar wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:50 am vara if you go down the bird cooler route il do you one VERY cheap. with the fairing on mine i dont have the room 8O
Hope the SP1's oil set up works for you Fab :thumbup:

Thanks for the offer Fab, I might get back to you on that. I'd be interested how you get on with the SP setup though. Look forward to some photos :wink: :thumbup:

I've ordered some stainless 6mm inline connectors (£2.29 each) & my plan is to use the standard Vtr's oil pipe sump connectors & flexy pipe. I'll leave a few inches of (clean) 6mm pipe for the olive to seal on.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3mm-22mm-Equ ... 2749.l2649

Place the oil cooler where it fits best (In front of the starter hopefully) then bend/line up the pipes as smart as possible & cut to accommodate the inline connectors.

If it works I'll be looking for bigger coolers, for now though I'll play with the standard one.

That's the plan anyway.. Just hope the inline olives don't fail & destroy the engine :eek2
Im guessing you long ago worked out your oil lines..But if not or you want other options>>>

I did a larger front cooler swap a bit ago, http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... 8d#p465614
and made stainless steel braided lines using AN fittings>
The stock lines provided the funky motor fittings as a base. They were modified and had steel weld on male AN fittings braised to them
An fittings.jpg
An fittings.jpg (53.79 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
oil lines new and old II.jpg
oil lines new and old II.jpg (46.28 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
fitting trimed.jpg
fitting trimed.jpg (38.91 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
stock fitting sectioned form old line, trimmed to length.
fittings un painted.jpg
fittings un painted.jpg (61.35 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
The An male end had to be bored slightly to fit the oil line.. once done it has the same flow specs as stock.
painted fittings.jpg
All painted up and ready to go.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I like that idea E.Marquez, really nice job :thumbup:

I plan to use the inline connectors to enable me to easily swap oil coolers.

My thinking is that a larger cooler should hopefully help cool the single rad motor, but I'm not too sure what size is required though. It'll live in front of the oil filter so swapping different coolers should be a relatively easy/quick job.

Once I know what's needed I'm going to look into what you've done. Thanks :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:18 pm I've been so busy at work that work on the project has stopped, still stuck on the battery box though..

I can't believe it's close to two years since the project began.

So I've celebrated the occasion & bought another welder.

I've had to empty the shed to fit it under the bench & It's forced my hand to toss loads of handy stuff/crap :lol: I should of done it long ago really.

I now have space to work in the shed again 8) :thumbup:

Once I've completed the chores the Mrs Vara has given me, bathroom, Hall, bedroom.. :problem:
I like the look of your new big boy welder :thumbup:

Hard to believe it's getting on nearly two years into this build I agree,

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:02 pm I like the look of your new big boy welder

Hard to believe it's getting on nearly two years into this build I agree,

Chris.
Thanks Chris, the "big boy" welder is a little too big tbh but it was cheap :lol: :roll: Yeah, two years, crazy tbh.

So because of the size of the thing & the hassle of bringing it out & in of the shed when welding, I've been looking for a longer 5 meter mig gun that'll enable me to reach the outside bench with the welder still in the shed.

So, whilst searching eBay something else "handy" was spotted :eek2
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

This battery box is giving me grief, well tbh it's not only the box. It's also the thought of making all the other bits that'll be made from aluminium also.

The plan is to make a battery box, front & side number boards & various brackets from the aluminium sheet I bought a while back.

I cleared out Lidl of their cutting/flap/polishing discs a few months ago, but the thought of cutting inside radius's was still going to be a drag & didn't give me any encouragement.

So whilst looking on eBay for a 5 meter mig gun.. I spotted a small Plasma cutter.

A bid & a quick trip to a pub on Saddleworth moor & hay-presto, 50kg of beautiful blue motivation.

Here's a picky of the cut, ignore the mig welds, a nitrogen/co2 mix gives crap welds btw