Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
tony.mon

Re: Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Post by tony.mon »

I'm wondering about the pc fans. They are designed and rated to be in a benign environment of still air in a case, how will they behave in air rushing past them at speed?

Only one way to find out!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

fabiostar wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:18 pm you lost me after spal lol :lol: :lol:
alanfjones1411 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:25 pm
fabiostar wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:18 pm you lost me after spal lol :lol: :lol:
Gone over my head too. :confused
Sorry guys, I'm also lost. I was just working out if the four compuer fans shift as much air as the Spal auxiliary fan Mik_Str & Tony mentioned.
tony.mon wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:03 am I'm wondering about the pc fans. They are designed and rated to be in a benign environment of still air in a case, how will they behave in air rushing past them at speed?

Only one way to find out!
Yeah, I'm not sure about that either Tony, but I am impressed that you think that one day there might be air rushing past them at speed?

One day maybe :lol:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

The bike picture that started all this has always had me yearning for a set of Supertrapp cone exhausts.

Even though I like the exhaust I've made I think that it's not going to be practical. I've got a load of different types of foil backed heat material to attach to the aluminium number sheild in an attempt to kill the heat transferring to my thigh meat. I still don't think it'll work.

So a few weeks ago I purchased a set of the long searched for Supertrapp cone's. Worse for wear should of been included in the title & rose tinted glasses should of been included in the box that they came in. Pffff.

Anyway they're mine now. I've cleaned them of the random rusty 6mm mild steel nuts & drilled out the few remaining baffle mounting bolts enabling me to separate the baffle from the outer cone. For those that don't know, the Supertrapp exhausts are unique in that they have a disk system that you can add or decrease baffle discs to allow you to tune them.. These are held on by six set screws of which the majority were snapped.

In an attempt to remove the snapped seized studs I've accidentally removed what I thought were captive nuts that were holding them in to the baffle. This is where I've seen something I've never worked with before "Rivnuts" All I can say the world of Rivnuts is expensive. I'm starting to think I'd of been better off buying a new set of cone exhausts from Supertrapp USA. :oops:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

They shouldn't be expensive, try searching for nutserts instead.
You need to specify open or close ended.
The setting tool is essential if you're fitting hundreds of them, but for just a few you can just wind in a high tensile cap head with a drill on a screwdriver torque setting which will set them just as well.

One tip, if you can, rough up the inside surface of the hole first, a little rat tail file works, to try to prevent them spinning when trying to undo.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

tony.mon wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:14 am They shouldn't be expensive, try searching for nutserts instead.
You need to specify open or close ended.
The setting tool is essential if you're fitting hundreds of them, but for just a few you can just wind in a high tensile cap head with a drill on a screwdriver torque setting which will set them just as well.

One tip, if you can, rough up the inside surface of the hole first, a little rat tail file works, to try to prevent them spinning when trying to undo.
I've been reading about them Tony & I've ordered a box of metric rivnutserts to see what's what. Like you mentioned if I was doing a few I could get away with that cracking idea of using a drill, but with me looking at double figures say 12 or 14 I'm looking into getting one of these.

http://www.thorite.co.uk/products/tools ... tic_185kn/
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That's why you thought it was expensive!
A dozen 60p rivnuts and a 200 quid tool to set them in...... :lol why don't you take them to the local garage and have them set them for you. Bung them a drink and pocket the change.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

tony.mon wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:07 pm That's why you thought it was expensive!
A dozen 60p rivnuts and a 200 quid tool to set them in...... :lol why don't you take them to the local garage and have them set them for you. Bung them a drink and pocket the change.
200 quid, I wish, look again Tony :lol: It's in the post :beer:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I stand corrected, or rather, slump aghast in disbelief.......
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I've got a manual tool that came with a load of nuts. Cost about £25 from memory.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

But a man must have a tool!!!!!!!
At that price, you must have something else in mind?
FFS don't let yer Mrs on here or it will be handbags for you me lad 😂
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:02 pm I've got a manual tool that came with a load of nuts. Cost about £25 from memory.
I have been looking at various tools for the job, ranging from cheapo to mind blowingly expensive. But because I've never thought about using these fastenings, I really fancy a semi decent tool to rely on when needed.

I'd think that a tool able to handle a 12mm-10mm insert would easily handle an 8mm insert which would probably be the max size I'd require. The decision is either a new Chinese jobbie which would still be around a 100 notes. Or hunt for a bargain used decent make :think:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Richard wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:37 am But a man must have a tool!!!!!!!
At that price, you must have something else in mind?
FFS don't let yer Mrs on here or it will be handbags for you me lad 😂
I won't let the cat out of the bag just yet, but I'm praying there's a parcel in the post.

Looking forward to Monday/Tuesday, then I hope to stealthily slip into the shed to avoid any handbags/suitcases :wink:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Right then, It's a nice day so I'm giving the hottub a good clean to remove the ole man broth & prep it for the forecasted nice weather.. A shout from the front gets my attention & Woo-hoo there's a parcel.

He shows me the damaged box & asks if it's ok.. but my excitement is overwhelming, yeah, no problem, cheers. Bye..

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well that works ok!
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Enjoy!