Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
StormyRob

Re: Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Post by StormyRob »

I love that you just started cutting it ! Brilliant. Clearly skilled and you have a good idea of what you want to end up with. Will be great to see it finished
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Been down the shed again today looking for an old pipe former I borrowed about 20 years ago..

The sheds quite small, but could I find it.. I did see something though

An old hoover hose.

This has given me some idea of the measurements required to "sweep" from the manifold around the head & skim the frame.

I think the bend I am looking at is a 45mm 2d bend.

Here's what a search pulls up

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2D-CLR-RADIU ... k aYZ7hGNg

The 2d bend states a bend radius of 88.90, say 90mm for ease.

So would I be right in thinking it's 180mm center-line to center-line?

So to work out the gap between the two pipes I take away 22.5mm off each end = 45mm then remove that from the 180mm which = a 135mm'ish gap?

If I'm correct, it might work

1 3/4" - 45MM

• BEND RADIUS - 88.90MM

• LEG LENGTH - 90MM APPROX

• WALL THICKNESS- 1.5MM
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:45 pm Thanks for your input Chris :thumbup:

Radiator wise I was hoping to go single across the front. I've got two to play with, a SV1000n & a right hand Vtr.

Looks as if pie bends are the answer if I can't find suitable long bends.

This thing is faffin out of control big time :lol: :thumbup:
That across the frame rad conversion could be very helpful for the front header pipe :)

**EDIT**
Opps I nearly missed your vacuum cleaner hose pic's. Now to me those curves/bends are more like it :thumbup: I'd say you are getting there,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

how about buying some of that cheap flexi exhaust pipe and you can bend it as many times as you like until it fits/looks how you want it and use it as a template for the actual pipeworks?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Saw this being used to create a custom exhaust for a Norton 961 Dominator cafe racer project by Goblin customs, looked really good. Might be prohibitively expensive but a top tool -

https://horsepowersports.com/icenginewo ... ike-a-pro/
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I've been doing some heavy duty thinking about this exhaust & it's got me in a friggin full Nelson.

I've got an idea, but I've been side lined with house hold chores also, so the exhausts on hold.

I've taken on board everyone's input & will post some ideas & pictures up later :thumbup:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Kev L wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:09 pm Saw this being used to create a custom exhaust for a Norton 961 Dominator cafe racer project by Goblin customs, looked really good. Might be prohibitively expensive but a top tool -

:thumbup:

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

At 1:29 using pvc plumbing tube and connectors to make mock up

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Pre bended mandrel sections

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/272249199890

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Kev L wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:09 pm Saw this being used to create a custom exhaust for a Norton 961 Dominator cafe racer project by Goblin customs, looked really good. Might be prohibitively expensive but a top tool -

what a briliant idea that is :thumbup: :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it :thumbup:

I've been doing some heavy duty thinking with this exhaust nonsense.

This is where I'm at.

I wasn't happy at all with the front pipe's angular 50p routing & feel that the chosen angle of the front pipe has caused the rear pipe to bend up too early. I was also avoiding the engine mounting bolts (they're getting the blame).

It has helped tacking up the 45mm pipes to see what's what, but when I was setting it up I also came to the conclusion that the 45mm pipe also looked too small. Especially when the 51mm inlet manifold can be seen in the background.

I'm sure I've read, or heard that what ever the inlet manifold size is, the exhaust should be the same diameter also. It could be bollox but I'm running with it.

So all the 45mm pipe was a waste of money & it's now going to be made out of 51mm..

It was always in the planning, that's why I did the header manifolds like I did. They would be able to accept 45mm pipe inside the 48mm stub, or accept a 51mm pipe over the 48mm stubs.

I have done a lot of research concerning pipe sizes & reasons why they make them a certain size. That's why I chose as close to the oem size as I could (45mm), but with the exhaust pipe being totally exposed on the side of the engine I also feel it looks too small a diameter.

So my next job was to look for ideas/pictures I like the look of & copy it, again.

Old Harley XR750 ideas are my favorite & here are some pictures I'd like to copy.

What I've tried to do is copy the idea of using big sweeping bends but use ones that fit the bike I'm building.

The bends that fit/work are 51mm diameter 2D bends. It was a gamble with either 1.5D or 2D bends, so I've only bought 1x 2D bend atm & I think it has potential.

Here's some pictures of the uncut bend held in place. The bend fits onto the front manifold & it clears the frame with around 8mm gap, I think it'll be ok.

Any ideas or Trombone jokes, fire away

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

ah ha now your looking good.. your right tho the large sweeping bends just sit how you would expect on a bike like that.....

only advice i can give at the min is, keep up the maddness :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Looks good, so are you hoping for the U bend in the top pic leading to the rear clinder to make up the differancne in leghth of the front. Pull the front cylinder bend in as tight as you can towards the cylinder ie not the angle of the bend but the complete piece. It looks like a very elongated U there but I suspect you aim to cut that down. I have also noted how each pipe runs either side of the frame mount. No easy task this is it.
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You're getting there, definitely going in the right direction I'd say :thumbup:

Chris.
Martinz

Post by Martinz »

absolutely loving this thread, love your " back yard engineering " style... reminds me of a certain someone... :think: