Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Varastorm

Re: Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Post by Varastorm »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:30 pm PS. Out of interest where does the Turnip Eater name originate from
This is what I pulled from another site Chris :thumbup:

I'll ask.... why's it called a turnip eater?
"Turnip" was a common derogatory name for Triumph in the '50s and '60s. Same as "Hog" was a derogatory term for H-D in the same time frame. I find it extremely humorous to see H-D using it with pride.

Leo passed away from cancer quite a while back (1991) - He told a friend that it was probably mixing his own fuel that killed him.

This guy, Mr Leo Payne sounds like a hell of a guy.

This took some searching Chris but I found it. Footage of his actual 200mph run from the 70's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti ... 8JqlURkrT8
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I just lost two hours of my life watching grainy salt run vids....
Excellent
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:51 pm
sirch345 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:30 pm PS. Out of interest where does the Turnip Eater name originate from
This is what I pulled from another site Chris :thumbup:

I'll ask.... why's it called a turnip eater?
"Turnip" was a common derogatory name for Triumph in the '50s and '60s. Same as "Hog" was a derogatory term for H-D in the same time frame. I find it extremely humorous to see H-D using it with pride.

Leo passed away from cancer quite a while back (1991) - He told a friend that it was probably mixing his own fuel that killed him.

This guy, Mr Leo Payne sounds like a hell of a guy.

This took some searching Chris but I found it. Footage of his actual 200mph run from the 70's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti ... 8JqlURkrT8
Many thanks for looking into the Turnip name, and for that video Vara :thumbup: I'll have a look at that when I get 5 minutes :thumbup:

Yes that makes sense to me if our British Triumph's motorcycles were known as Turnips, then the Harley boys calling their Harley's Turnip Eaters if they thought their bikes could be faster.

Good to see your latest installment of photo's today, it's all coming together very nicely :clap: 8)

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Cool vids :thumbup:

Liked the way he followed the girls in bikinis every now and then.... Bring back the 70s :lol:

And Burt Munroe there too
AMcQ
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:33 am Liked the way he followed the girls in bikinis every now and then.... Bring back the 70s

You've got to love the jew's harp when the girls were filmed, ha. Wouldn't happen/be allowed today. Good spot with Burt Al 8) , I was focusing on the Turnip Eater :lol:

No photo's I'm affraid but I've been very busy teaching myself electrics & how to wire it up. Wow, & I thought the battery box was an issue :roll:

Anyway, my original plan was to use the old messy wiring loom to find the best way to run through the bike. It needed to look clean & no modifications. I think I've done it but boy, the headstock wiring has got me sweating.

The cheap Chinese all in one clock came with a bit of a loom which would have to be spliced into the Vtr loom. The problem was that the plug connections would lay on the top yolk & be seen by everyone. Not happening.

So I removed the waterproof rubber boot from the mini loom on the cheap clock & found a 20 pin connector. Exactly the same as a 20 pin pc's power supply to a pc's motherboard connector :D

So I routed through my pikey-hoard to get my hands on an unwanted pc power supply to butcher for the plug & cables. Bingo. Then I had to find out what wires are required to power the individual clock instruments then connect them to the multiple plugs on the loom..

A major help has been the recognising & the purchasing of plugs that connect directy to the Honda Vtr loom.

Then it was just a simple case of identifying what wires went where. WWWW..

Two things got me last night though, I'd checked everything over 10 times but still it wouldn't turn over or beep beep the horn. Was it my wiring? Was it the rough Vtr loom's fault? A quick phone call & a chat & after I explained the situation, I was asked if I'd checked the fuses :oops: Ha, 3 missing

Secondly the 125cc Varadero stop/start button's wiring is different. It turn's over when you apply the brake I sorted it out by moving the pins in the socket around..

I'm getting there, I felt last night was the first time I heard it breathing as it was being turned over. woohoo :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:28 am
AMCQ46 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:33 am Liked the way he followed the girls in bikinis every now and then.... Bring back the 70s

You've got to love the jew's harp when the girls were filmed, ha. Wouldn't happen/be allowed today. Good spot with Burt Al 8) , I was focusing on the Turnip Eater :lol:

No photo's I'm affraid but I've been very busy teaching myself electrics & how to wire it up. Wow, & I thought the battery box was an issue :roll:

Anyway, my original plan was to use the old messy wiring loom to find the best way to run through the bike. It needed to look clean & no modifications. I think I've done it but boy, the headstock wiring has got me sweating.

The cheap Chinese all in one clock came with a bit of a loom which would have to be spliced into the Vtr loom. The problem was that the plug connections would lay on the top yolk & be seen by everyone. Not happening.

So I removed the waterproof rubber boot from the mini loom on the cheap clock & found a 20 pin connector. Exactly the same as a 20 pin pc's power supply to a pc's motherboard connector :D

So I routed through my pikey-hoard to get my hands on an unwanted pc power supply to butcher for the plug & cables. Bingo. Then I had to find out what wires are required to power the individual clock instruments then connect them to the multiple plugs on the loom..

A major help has been the recognising & the purchasing of plugs that connect directy to the Honda Vtr loom.

Then it was just a simple case of identifying what wires went where. WWWW..

Two things got me last night though, I'd checked everything over 10 times but still it wouldn't turn over or beep beep the horn. Was it my wiring? Was it the rough Vtr loom's fault? A quick phone call & a chat & after I explained the situation, I was asked if I'd checked the fuses :oops: Ha, 3 missing

Secondly the 125cc Varadero stop/start button's wiring is different. It turn's over when you apply the brake I sorted it out by moving the pins in the socket around..

I'm getting there, I felt last night was the first time I heard it breathing as it was being turned over. woohoo :thumbup:
I'm not sure exactly why, but that struck me funny :lol:

So close to firing the beast into life too, well done Vara it sounds like you making good headway :clap:

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

sirch345 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:30 pm
Varastorm wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:28 am It turn's over when you apply the brake I sorted it out by moving the pins in the socket around..
I'm not sure exactly why, but that struck me funny :lol:

So close to firing the beast into life too, well done Vara it sounds like you making good headway

Chris.
Getting close Chris :thumbup: But still I feel so far away.

Front brake starter :roll: You ask yourself why though when they change the wiring like that :evil:

I tried many things yesterday but still no plug spark. I've done the Cbr600 stick coil mod which I felt was pretty straight forward, but because everything I've bought has come from ebay I'm not sure they all work.

So, like Fabio, I'm also starting to scratch my head. So I'm now going through the process of elimination & I bought another ignitor & cdi box yesterday to hopefully see what's what.

If they don't work either, I'll more than likely strip her down to the bare frame again & finish welding up the frame & lug pieces that I tacked on. Then rebuild with the better loom & see if that sorts it out.

If it does, then great. The frame should also be strong enough to ride If I do eventually get it to fire up.

I just hope it'll all work together :crazy:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Well, yesterday I finally got a spark to both plugs :D

I'll never trust a knackered battery & a start'n charge pack again :roll: :lol:

I pinched the battery from the Cbr600, same numbers but different brand. Feck me it's bigger by 3mm.. it was a bit of a squeeze to get it into the aluminium box but it's in 8O I doubt it'll ever come out in one piece but it's new so should be ok for a couple of years :thumbup:

I cheated & sprayed easy start into the intakes & boom it's alive, no exhaust, no carb, no tank or radiators but it fired up 8)

I'm going to set the weber 45 float height up in a minute then slap dash the radiator on. I need a kick up the butt & hopefully it might run for the first time today & give me some well & truly needed hope.

Fingers crossed :thumbup:
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Result

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:35 am Well, yesterday I finally got a spark to both plugs :D

I'll never trust a knackered battery & a start'n charge pack again :roll: :lol:

I pinched the battery from the Cbr600, same numbers but different brand. Feck me it's bigger by 3mm.. it was a bit of a squeeze to get it into the aluminium box but it's in 8O I doubt it'll ever come out in one piece but it's new so should be ok for a couple of years :thumbup:

I cheated & sprayed easy start into the intakes & boom it's alive, no exhaust, no carb, no tank or radiators but it fired up 8)

I'm going to set the weber 45 float height up in a minute then slap dash the radiator on. I need a kick up the butt & hopefully it might run for the first time today & give me some well & truly needed hope.

Fingers crossed :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbup:

You're definitely getting there Vara, fingers crossed indeed all goes well today :D

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I've just completed the slap-dash coolant system & whilst running through it I've seen a pipe say 10mm coming from the top rear of the thermostat housing. I don't have a Vtr, so I've no idea.. Help.

Any thoughts would be appreciated :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

its not the one that goes to the carb heaters is it? there is one that also goes to nothing on the thermo.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The thermostat housing has a blanked off stub, if its that one ignore it. The other small hose is from the carb heater line, it usually goes via the two storm carbs to the smallest stub on the water pump.
Block them both off for your application.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Thanks guys, I really appreciate that :thumbup: It was the blanked off one :lol: :thumbup:

I've not got a Vtr so I was stuck, I've also connected the lower/thermostat pipe to carb water feed straight to the water pump as there's no carbs to feed. Will that be ok?

It runs guys, it's alive. The word loud isn't loud enough :eek2 feck me it's like a 1000cc motocrosser.

So sharp :cool2 :crazy:

First prod of the starter, it starts first time every time but it's spitting back so some fettling/reading will be needed.

I've videoed it but forgotten my youtube account details.. :beer:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:51 pm Thanks guys, I really appreciate that :thumbup: It was the blanked off one :lol: :thumbup:

I've not got a Vtr so I was stuck, I've also connected the lower/thermostat pipe to carb water feed straight to the water pump as there's no carbs to feed. Will that be ok?

It runs guys, it's alive. The word loud isn't loud enough :eek2 feck me it's like a 1000cc motocrosser.

So sharp :cool2 :crazy:

First prod of the starter, it starts first time every time but it's spitting back so some fettling/reading will be needed.

I've videoed it but forgotten my youtube account details.. :beer:
Excellent news, well done Vara :clap: 8)

Chris.