VTR Streetfighter DIY route

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Nelaimesiu

VTR Streetfighter DIY route

Post by Nelaimesiu »

Hi guys!

I've read through most of the technical knowledge on this forum a year ago, when I was considering buying a Firestorm and wanted to be ahead in the know-how when it comes to it's quirks and known problems.

Happy to say I did buy a pretty well maintained black 1998 VTR - it came with pretty horrible aftermarket turn signals, a tinted screen, and, most importantly, a pair of Italian MIVV carbon exhausts. The ground shook at the rumble it did.. :D

This is my first "big bike", but I do have around 50.000 miles of mostly city riding under my belt, so I'm not very intimidated by the VTR... now that is! The first few months we're mental, the instant torque is absolutely amazing, as is the thunder that accompanies it. In spite of the new Michelin Pilot Road 4's (wonderful decision), the bike would powerslide into wheelies easily, manic laughter ensued!

(Video of a small wheelie)

One of these wheelies snapped the chain, that did a bit of damage, but was easily remedied in a local metal factory for 10 eur and new front sprocket cover with sprockets and chain. I don't like going really fast and mostly do city riding, so I went for a 1-tooth-down front sprocket, the change was reaaaally nice. Did the TPS reset, went up a size on the main jets, removed plastic divider in the airbox, found that the infamous electrical SH1T thingy had already been changed to a later part, shimmed the cush drive, lowered the front end a bit and had a blast for a few months.

I'm a big fan of minimalistic bikes, especially something between a retro cafe racer'ish muscle bike and an industrial looking street fighter. So the VTR stood before me, naked... The feeling after having removed all the rattling fairings (most of the tabs we're broken when I bought it, sadly) was awesome - the bike felt much more nimble, flickable, prone to wheelies; everything I desired. Found an MX style headlight from a bike I had 6 years ago - on it went. In the end of the season (we have quite harsh winters in Lithuania) I became brave and, with a spare complete rear end I bought for a 100 euros, I attacked my bike with the angle grinder and a welder. Rear subframe came out a lot shorter and a bit thinner. Somehow managed to squeeze all the electric bits under the now much shorter seat. Made some temporary minimalistic side fenders. Had a few prototypes of a LED tail light, nothing final yet.

The bike is now of course un-rideable in the wet, but I hated that anyway, have my car for the slippery stuff.
Only a few pictures of the bike in it's last stages, because my season was abruptly ended when I slipped, lost my balance and fell with the bike into an open pit in my garage. My fault, nothing serious, a few scrapes and bent clip-ons. But that made me just put it to rest for the year.

The bike is now in bits, going to get the frame, swingarm and some small things powdercoated in a few weeks time. Still have to polish the exhausts, install manual CCT's I already have, have some professional upholster the seat, make permanent fairings, lower the front, lift up the rear. After reassembly, some more fabrication.. anything else the imagination conjures up. Most of the stuff I do myself, ghetto style, learning along the way.

I know that my modifications, and especially the way that some of them are done, or at least look (half-assed) may offend some VTR purists, but I really believe that bikes are supposed to reflect one's self. And I am, indeed, an untidy fun loving young adult/kid at heart, who loves to wheelie and tinker while making his bike more raw and unique, smiling along the way. The bike will look awesome when I'm finally finished, promise! :thumbup:

Martynas
Wicky

Re: VTR Streetfighter DIY route

Post by Wicky »

Greetings - it was going well to my eye until you attacked it with an angle grinder - still your mutant VTR will now serve a purpose in scaring the beejesus out of invading Ruskies...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Nelaimesiu

Post by Nelaimesiu »

Just so everybody feels a bit more comfortable - I can reassemble the bike to look like the first pictures in 1.5-2 hours, I have a full spare rear end, all the front fairings are kept safe inside :D A pre-requisite for my mods was the ability to restore it to it's stock form for when the time comes to sell it.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

well everybody has there own way of looking at there own bikes and its different so well done for doing your own thing :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Nelaimesiu

Post by Nelaimesiu »

Spent a few hours in the garage today, seems that starting this build-thread motivates me to go ahead and work on the bike :)

Removed everything from the frame and swingarm to get them ready for sandblasting and powdercoating. Was afraid that swingarm bearings would be difficult, but they came out OK. Suspension linkages we're on the verge of rusting up and looked hideous (the same that split when they seize).

There's one bit I either have to get welded, or buy a second-hand one, because it snapped when the bike fell into the pit.

And the almighty heart of the VTR is waiting to be cleaned up and get some shiny MCCT's.

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

no messing about getting it ripped apart :thumbup:
Nelaimesiu

Post by Nelaimesiu »

I find that spending time alone in the garage is like therapy or meditation, just me, a bunch of spanners, some music... One of the best places to be, actually :!:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Nelaimesiu wrote:I find that spending time alone in the garage is like therapy or meditation, just me, a bunch of spanners, some music... One of the best places to be, actually :!:
Couldn't agree more Image
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Nelaimesiu wrote:I find that spending time alone in the garage is like therapy or meditation, just me, a bunch of spanners, some music... One of the best places to be, actually :!:
good call :wave:
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Nelaimesiu wrote:...Video of a small wheelie...
[youtube][/youtube]

GOOD GOD MAN! - That was a close one! :eek2

I was watching you getting closer and closer to the right hand side, almost on the grass....and then the camera dropped down....I was then expecting to hear a massive crunch or bang! But no....you held onto it, but I bet you were shitting yourself for a second! :lol: :thumbup:

As you've said: You just gotta love that torgue! I've popped the front wheel up a few times....but never intentionally. There's no way I'd be brave enough to attempt what you just did! - I'd be too sh1t scared in case I dropped it. I've already dropped one bike (a chop) after attempting a quick burnout in a McDonalds car park....and I took off into the side of a womans car, ripping her front bumper off! In full view of other bike folk too. :roll: :cry: :lol:

Oh, one other funny observation.....the way you have your cans pointing in to each other, makes the butt end look cross-eyed! :think:

:lol: :lol:

:thumbup: GBM / Dave
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
Nelaimesiu

Post by Nelaimesiu »

That's very observant of you, Dave! I did indeed run off into the grass and nearly sh1t my pants for a whole 3 or 4 seconds until I reached tarmac again :lol: This video doesn't do it justice, 2nd gear is where the fun begins. I would recommend anyone who wants to learn wheelies to first get really good at it on a bicycle; then it comes pretty naturally on a VTR - it's so nice not needing any physical effort to lift it up, just precise control of the clutch+throttle :twisted:

This is how my lower rear suspension linkage looked like. A few of the bolts we're even stuck. If you've never looked at yours, do it.

A wire-brush on an electrical tool did wonders and got the part back to life. I've put on a few coats of matte black paint on it, will post pics of the result later.

P.S. Yeah the exhausts look stupid crooked :D A by-product of their mounts being raised up quite a bit after the rear sub-frame massacre. Need to drill out the rivets and re-position them, but I'll only do that when it's all assembled.

I really enjoy your feedback guys, even when it doesn't look good to you personally :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

hey each to there own. it would be boring as sh1t if all are storms looked the same :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nelaimesiu wrote:
This is how my lower rear suspension linkage looked like. A few of the bolts we're even stuck. If you've never looked at yours, do it.

A wire-brush on an electrical tool did wonders and got the part back to life. I've put on a few coats of matte black paint on it, will post pics of the result later.

Very good advice on the rear suspension linkage :thumbup: You certainly don't want this happening:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=11809

Your linkage is looking 100% better after a good clean-up :clap:

Chris.
Nelaimesiu

Post by Nelaimesiu »

Here's how the linkages came out after a few coats - lovely! Cleaned up all the bolts (after getting them loose in the first place), ready for a generous amount of lube :wink: Can't wait to see it fully painted and assembled.

And found a random picture in my friends Facebook that shows a bit of the VTR's face. When I have the spare cash, I'll look into either buying or making some cool unique headlight, I'd like some aggresive looking LED unit.

In a few days time, mine and the friend's you see in the picture TL1000S's frames and swingarms will be off to the powdercoating magicians.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Hey Mate,

Welcome aboard, this is a great forum.

I guess you could say I am a purist, however I understand where you are coming from.

The beauty of the VTR is that it can be modified to suit each and every one of us.

Hell,

I have done so much to mine that I am embarrassed!

I like the look of yours and would certainly do a double take if I saw it parked up somewhere.

Keep the pics and info coming please.

Cheers From Down Under :thumbup:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia