my Aprilia Superleggera project

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
budd

Re: my Aprilia Superleggera project

Post by budd »

Well after 10 days of been messed about by an ebay seller the 26mm socket is finally here, I think I should have just gone down to Halfords in the first place. Anyway the missing socket as turned up so I've now got the swing arm out and checked the bearing, the ball bearing one is in excellent condition and still well packed with moly grease, the needle while still in pretty good condition was running quite dry so after a quick clean it's repacked with high spec water resistant synthetic grease ( I have mate who works on trains and over the years he as provided a selection of different spec greases so I now have grease for every occasion, and money is no object when dealing with trains so some of them are silly money to buy). So main swing arm bearings are sorted time to have a look at the lower linkage bearings and these weren't great so I've knocked them out and ordered some replacements. A bit of info re the bearings, the OE spec bearing is a full complement bearing needle roller bearing (this full complement bit means it as no internal cage and twice the number of rollers when compared to a typical aftermarket replacement) The OE bear is a HK1812V while a regular needle roller bearing is simply a HK1812. Now this might be a little controversial but I think the normal HK1812 is more suitable for this application, mainly because it's not a huge load situation and the full complement bearing seems over spec'd for the job the other reason is you can get more grease in a caged bearing. The main reason these bearings fail is due to lack of lubrication (the grease gets washed-out /breaks down over time) so it stands to reason if you can get more grease in there then then the bearing will stay lube'd for longer therefore extending its service life. Anyway bearings/seals ordered from Simply bearings so I'll get the swing arm back in and push the new lower bearings in when they arrive, then the rebuild proper can begin.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Ten days is a long time to get a 26mm socket :lol: Interesting to hear what you have been up to regarding the rear suspension bearings.

I'm looking forward to seeing some photo's once it's all back together :thumbup:

Chris.
-Floris-

Post by -Floris- »

Very nice job, looking forward to the endresult :thumbup:
It's sad that, in our blindness we gather thorns for flowers
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Is the grease you're using high melting point?

The linkages (especially if you're running a full underbelly fairing lower) get quite warm. Although the grease being washed out with a jet washer is equally important...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
budd

Post by budd »

tony.mon wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:13 pm Is the grease you're using high melting point?

The linkages (especially if you're running a full underbelly fairing lower) get quite warm. Although the grease being washed out with a jet washer is equally important...
it's some high spec grease used on trains, suitable for use in salt water so should resist the road spray pretty well as for whether it's temp resistent I'm not sure it's a German product with no English translation on the tube, but I've heat wrapped the exhaust headers and collector so that should reduce the heat soak into the suspension.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
budd

Post by budd »

well the end of the project is in sight, petrol added and after a bit of stopping and starting bike fired up and seems to be running fine, it's always a bit of a tense moment firing something up after stripping it down and adding quite a few new parts but the signs are positive and hopefully a test ride will reveal all is well.
So engine running, tyres fitted, wheels back in, brakes reassembled and bled, all the service parts fitted, lights fitted and working I'm particularly pleased with how the rear light as turned out, and looks made for the job
only issue is the rear brake light switch is inop so I'll need to replace that at some point, I have one somewhere so I'll have to have root round and see if I can locate it, not that it's much of a problem the brake light is working via the front brake so it will be OK for the time been, I could really do with sorting out a no plate light but my friendly MOTer doesn't seem to bothered about it's absence so I leave it for later.
Most of the paint is now done (just got the nose cone to clear-coat, I ended up have to repaint it as the lines I'd painted were in the wrong place one side went under the mirror the other didn't !!! Once that's finished I can fit and line up the headlight, it's all wired up just needs aligning before I bond it in.
So I'm now on to final finishing bits and bobs colour sanding the paint and adding some stickers, I love doing the stickers and have combined some RSV4 and BMW S1000RR graphics to make some nice OE looking RSV1000R decals for the side fairings, the red on the V and R is reflective so produces a nice effect when light is shone on it, I tempted to use white reflective vinyl for the belly pan graphics but I'm not sure it would be a bit to flashy ??
you can just about see the V and R glowing in the above pic, but when I shine a light on them in the dark garage they really pop. Next stickers are going to include some 'superleggera' text not sure where yet but I've got some chrome vinyl and they look really good, it's difficult to see the chrome effect from the pics but I think they'll look great against the red paint work.

hopefully next pics will be of the finished item,as there are now only a few little jobs to do so I'm on target for taxing it 1st April, although it will likely pee it down all April so how much riding I'll get done remains to be seen but at least it will be ready, I'm supposed to be going on a run up to North Yorks with Gabbi in April to reccy the roads for the North Yorks trip so that should be interesting.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

im feeling a lot of love for this bike.... that back light is the snizz.. :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
budd

Post by budd »

fabiostar wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:09 pm im feeling a lot of love for this bike.... that back light is the snizz.. :clap:
it's not bad for a VW transporter reflecter :D
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

It's looks bloody good Budd, you have done some great work there
AMcQ
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Very pretty looking bike Budd, well done.
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It's looking amazing, well done Budd :clap:

Chris.
budd

Post by budd »

First ride out today, taxed it on Sun and it snowed !! Typical so had to wait till today managed half an hour or so weather still not good for bikes roads patchy wet so only very steady even then had a big slide passing a white van, back wheel span up and snapped the bike sideways kicking me up out of the seat, cold tyre, poor road conditions but it would have been a shame to put all the work in only to throw it down the road 1st ride out !! luckily managed to keep it upright but it got my attention for sure.
Well here she is :

The point of the exercise was to firstly lighten the bike and add a little more power and change the appearance while retaining all the stock bodywork.
Current spec is :
'01 RSV 'R', Stock engine internals with, 57mm TBs, Renegade carbon air tray, Tuono long velocity stacks, Modd'd collector, Akra Ti race can/ 60mm Ti link pipe, FR200 Eprom, PC3 custom mapped by PCR performance.
Full lightweight GRP bodywork with projector headlight and LED stop/tail.
Brembo RCS 19 brake M/C, SBS Race Sinter pads, goodridge hoses and Motul RBF660 fluid.
Dunlop Sportmax D211 GP racer tyres (120/70 soft front - 180/55 med rear) 16t Talon front sprocket, 44 Talon rear.
Now I just need some nice weather so I can give her a proper run out.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Ohhh La La !

Thats the Mutts Nuts Budd... :Woohoo1:

FFS DON'T drop it !
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Looks the dogs danglies very nice build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

That is booootiful. Most impressed!
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)