From 107 to 128

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: From 107 to 128

Post by sirch345 »

Ooooo I bet you were surprised to see that Nick,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

freeridenick wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:58 pm DSC_6330.JPG

DSC_6331.JPG

I wasn't sure whether this was a cause or a result of the engine failure until I tried to remove the flywheel. Being able to move the whole crank from side to side or up and down suggest Roger was right when he told me it was a massive oil starvation issue. My current guess is either the big end bearings have spun or the oil strainer is clogged. Either way the big ends have eaten themselves causing the flywheel to chew up the stator and probably a bunch of other parts are screwed too. Although the clutch looked OK when I pulled that cover off.

On the plus side, the engine turns over by hand freely enough so I'm hopeful the heads are OK. There's a slim chance the pistons are OK too but with the crank moving like that they're probably scored. The bottom end is toast though. Fortunately I've got another bottom end which should be rebuildable.

Next stop is a quick message to Fabio for another flywheel.

HOLY SH1T buckets :eek2 :eek2 something inside has had a major failure to allow the crank to move that much :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
LuckySpacemonkey

Re: From 107 to 126

Post by LuckySpacemonkey »

MacV2 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:15 pm Nick...

Pm sent...

What are thoooose?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Nick, I wouldn't use those pistons. The crank will have thrashed about and the skirts will have contacted the liners at unusual angles.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:32 pm Nick, I wouldn't use those pistons. The crank will have thrashed about and the skirts will have contacted the liners at unusual angles.
I'd pretty much come to the same conclusion so thanks for the confirmation.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

On a more positive note I finally got a parcel of spares through and the rebuild is moving forward again. I'd been busy with the airbox in the meantime so it was a quick job to finish the carbs and get the whole lot back together.
DSC_6365.JPG
DSC_6366.JPG
DSC_6367.JPG
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:15 pm Image
That's looking promising 8)
How much are you going to need to raise the petrol tank Nick :?:

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

sirch345 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:50 pm

Chris.
No need to raise the tank. The dyno charts for the old engine were with a standard road frame, with and without the airbox lid, and the tank was mounted in the stock position. So plenty of air could get to the airbox.

When I swapped the frame to the old race frame, it came with quick release front mounts for the tank and these lifted it maybe 15mm. The area where the snorkel would go was plated off but I never went back to the dyno as it seemed to run fine. So with a stock frame I can't see a need to raise the tank if running an open airbox and no heat shield.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:33 pm
sirch345 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:50 pm

Chris.
No need to raise the tank. The dyno charts for the old engine were with a standard road frame, with and without the airbox lid, and the tank was mounted in the stock position. So plenty of air could get to the airbox.

When I swapped the frame to the old race frame, it came with quick release front mounts for the tank and these lifted it maybe 15mm. The area where the snorkel would go was plated off but I never went back to the dyno as it seemed to run fine. So with a stock frame I can't see a need to raise the tank if running an open airbox and no heat shield.
That is interesting, even better :thumbup:

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

:x :cry:

I got the Blade forks back from Roger yesterday - very happy. Fitted them just now and the lowers cracked on the right leg when I tightened the pinch bolts - now very unhappy. Yes I did use a torque wrench.

I don't feel like it but I'll carry on fitting bits and pieces so that all I need to do is refit the forks on e I've found a decent set of lower legs. baldrocks.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

That’s some real bad luck you have been having .
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:54 am :x :cry:

I got the Blade forks back from Roger yesterday - very happy. Fitted them just now and the lowers cracked on the right leg when I tightened the pinch bolts - now very unhappy. Yes I did use a torque wrench.

I don't feel like it but I'll carry on fitting bits and pieces so that all I need to do is refit the forks on e I've found a decent set of lower legs. baldrocks.
That is unlucky :thumbdown:
Although on the bright side better now than on the track,

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Back on wheels after a lot of head scratching and studying of parts diagrams. I found a set of forks that should have been identical but the compression adjuster was different. On closer inspection the needle seems the same but on the silver forks the adjuster comes out and the needle is sticking out the end. On my broken, brown forks the needle is in a housing the includes all the oil ways.
_20210311_074933.JPG
Checking the sliders, gliders and internals confirmed the sliders should just swap over but the adjuster was bother. Long story short, a couple of conversations with Roger and some more research left me confidant all was good. So having split both sets of forks twice I'm now pretty handy with rebuilds and I've a spares or repair set of brown ones for sale.

All I need now is to seal the clutch cover and fill it with fluids before it goes to Junction 33 for set up on Thursday.

There are still a few odd jobs after that, like brake lines and left grip, but all easy stuff. Fingers crossed.
DSC_6372.JPG
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:47 pm Back on wheels after a lot of head scratching and studying of parts diagrams. I found a set of forks that should have been identical but the compression adjuster was different. On closer inspection the needle seems the same but on the silver forks the adjuster comes out and the needle is sticking out the end. On my broken, brown forks the needle is in a housing the includes all the oil ways.
_20210311_074933.JPG

Checking the sliders, gliders and internals confirmed the sliders should just swap over but the adjuster was bother. Long story short, a couple of conversations with Roger and some more research left me confidant all was good. So having split both sets of forks twice I'm now pretty handy with rebuilds and I've a spares or repair set of brown ones for sale.

All I need now is to seal the clutch cover and fill it with fluids before it goes to Junction 33 for set up on Thursday.

There are still a few odd jobs after that, like brake lines and left grip, but all easy stuff. Fingers crossed.
DSC_6372.JPG
Well done Nick, you're getting there :clap:

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

If it’s any help my 97 forks don’t click !