From 107 to 128

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: From 107 to xxx

Post by sirch345 »

You're getting there, well done :clap:

Thanks for posting the good quality photo's, it's all looking nice and clean 8)

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

sirch345 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:31 pm Thanks for posting the good quality photo's, it's all looking nice and clean 8)

Chris.
Thanks Chris. I bought one of the small bench-top parts washers. It's a bit small for the cases but with a bit of twisting and turning I could get everywhere. It wouldn't grace the pages of Practical Sports Bikes though.
Chippieminton

Post by Chippieminton »

freeridenick wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:38 pm
More cursing and removal of parts followed by refitting and finally getting it all together.

Front and rear pistions

Dinky flywheel

Pain in the butt clutch etc
Phwoarr!!!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

are running without the quieting gear on the clutch basket nick? i ended up removing mine and cant say it sounds any louder than it was.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

fabiostar wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:30 am are running without the quieting gear on the clutch basket nick? i ended up removing mine and cant say it sounds any louder than it was.
Yeah I took it off for 'weight saving'. Although I could probably save more weight by having a big dump. It's also a bit of a pain aligning the gears.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:12 pm
sirch345 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:31 pm Thanks for posting the good quality photo's, it's all looking nice and clean 8)

Chris.
Thanks Chris. I bought one of the small bench-top parts washers. It's a bit small for the cases but with a bit of twisting and turning I could get everywhere. It wouldn't grace the pages of Practical Sports Bikes though.
It certainly looks like the parts cleaner was worth getting Nick :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

freeridenick wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:45 am
fabiostar wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:30 am are running without the quieting gear on the clutch basket nick? i ended up removing mine and cant say it sounds any louder than it was.
Yeah I took it off for 'weight saving'. Although I could probably save more weight by having a big dump. It's also a bit of a pain aligning the gears.
the pain in the butt was my reason for binning it :thumbup: still in that area of the engine, the clutch basket i fitted i also removed all the casting marks on the outer basket on the wee lathe.. not in any stress areas i may add but as standard i checked both mine and you wouldnt believe how much run out they have as standard, as tescos say every little helps :clap:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Heads off to have the valve seats re-cut for these babies. After that it's another clean and everything goes back together for the cams to be timed. Assuming I don't go nuts and have the heads skimmed as well. 8O

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

freeridenick wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:44 pm Heads off to have the valve seats re-cut for these babies. After that it's another clean and everything goes back together for the cams to be timed. Assuming I don't go nuts and have the heads skimmed as well. 8O

oooh very nice i have to say.. on the heads thing i seem to remember in the back of my tiny head somebody saying about skimming the block instead of the heads??
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

What would be the reason for skimming head or block? Other than CR which is served already by pistons.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Not directly applicable, but I found that running JE's with an ignition advancer I had to run 98 RON to keep it from pinking when thrashed.
You might end up with the same result if running hi comps with a skimmed head or blocks, even without an advancer.

You certainly won't NEED to skim the heads; it's not like a four cylinder head where you can get twisting along the axis. There's enough metal on these that they stay flat.

However there's enough clearance between valves and pistons using std cams to do this, but if you do skim as well, I'd suggest that you carefully measure clearances by dry building the engine (using the old head gaskets to get the right clearances) and checking that you have enough clearance with your cams at all degrees of rotation on the intake/exhaust stroke.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Stephan wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:59 am What would be the reason for skimming head or block? Other than CR which is served already by pistons.
The reason is simlpy pushing the CR out to the maximum. But you're right to question it. When I dropped the heads off they asked me if I wanted them skimmed too. I haven't done a squish check so I said no but it got me thinking whether it's worth it. My decision is no. But I'll still check the squish when it's all back together.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

question is, if you want to push CR that far. JE pistons are enough even for stage 2, and power gain is very small. Look what CR is running high powered SP engine, hidden treasure is not in CR :) You would be asking for troubles rather than power.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I agree, leave the compression ratio as it is, otherwise the bottom end will be saying enough is enough :wink:
You're already up to 11.5:1 which is a big increase as it is,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:04 pm I agree, leave the compression ratio as it is, otherwise the bottom end will be saying enough is enough :wink:
You're already up to 11.5:1 which is a big increase as it is,

Chris.
I think the bottom end is fine; you won't be getting to the point where you start thinking about a welded crank with the mods you have in mind.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.