From 107 to 128

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
freeridenick

Re: From 107 to xxx

Post by freeridenick »

Where can I get filters for the crankcase breathers so I can route them outside the airbox?

The carb breather pipes I assume I can just cover with some of this and tie in place with a cable tie.

Having just done a quick ebay search I'll rephrase that first question - what's the diameter of the tubing and how did others fit them to stop the pipe being crushed? I can check when i get home but I can order them today if I find out.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I have these simota filters, version 17223, not expensive. But please double check neck diameter 12mm, I am not sure I see correct information on my processed order. Just used attached clamp outside hose ...

http://www.simota.com/syscate.php?SM=1&ST=6&SC=16
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yep, I used the same thing.
If you want you can use the original white plastic box that was in the airbox to take both inlet pipes and mount the filter on the remaining stub.
It just fits beside the rear head in the frame web void, and the filter can then sit nestling in the vee of the frame below the tank.

Don't mount the filter above the rear wheel, some oil will occasionally drip off it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Thanks Stephan and Tony. Where did you buy them from? Wemoto looks like the importer for Simota in the UK but their site is crap and only lets me search by bike make/model. ebay just has a load of filters without the inserts.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Wemoto K&N Filter 62-1330 Crank Vent Breather Air Cleaner 12mm (Clamp-on Type)

http://www.wemoto.com/components/filter ... d-62-1330/
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I bought it from local CZ distributor, but it seems they are currently not in stock. Price for KN is killer, Simota were about 7 pounds each.

I would probably try these ....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Air ... SwMmBVqLrw
http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/mini-b ... olour.html

There is a lot more cheap chinese, just search for "breather filter 12mm"

edit: sorry, it is the one with missing insert you mentioned ...
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Thanks all. Ordered.

Worth noting that the internal diameter of the breather tubes is 18mm. For anyone using this another time.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I just checked the airbox and inlet outside tube diameter is 19mm, so 18 mm for tube will be correct. I was a bit suspicious looking on my order, that was why I wrote better to check it.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Not much progress over the last few weeks. I've been away and I'm still waiting for the heads to come back from having the valves fitted. I'm chomping at the bit.

I got some time to myself today so I figured I'm knock off a few easy jobs tidying up bits so they can go straight on when the engine is ready. Best laid plans... what at b8stard of a day. All thanks to one dowel stuck in the carbs.

The lovely alloy fuel valve from Fabiostar was a nice five minute warm up but getting the fuel lines off the carbs to fit the other side of the dry break was a bit fiddly. The carbs were a bit dirty so I figured I'd split them and clean them up a bit. It wasn't necessary but it meant I could remove the heating joints etc ready to bypass the water feed.

I knew I should have left the stuck dowel but it'll only take a little pull right? Wrong. One butchered dowel finally drilled out after a trip to Screwfix, because I obviously didn't have the right size drill. :x

The carbs took nearly all day to sort but they are now back in one piece, with no heating and some little foam filters cable-tied over the air vents. Next stop is modifications to the airbox. Unless I get the heads back before the weekend.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

getting close Nick :thumbup: . im sure its like waiting for xmas to hear your engine...
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nick, the waiting sometimes is the best bit, only we don't realise it at the time :wink:

Typical what happened with the carbs when you thought it would be an easy job. Glad you've sorted it now :thumbup:

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

The wait continues but not for much longer. The heads are ready so I'm only waiting for them to be shimmed. Fingers crossed I can pick them up in time for me to get the engine built and back to have the valves timed on Saturday.

In the meantime I got the CBR brakes I bought off Al fitted, plus the HRC throttle tube. And made a new set of spacers/bolts for the subframe.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Finally got the heads back from being shimmed up. My partner picked them up and I got a message from her saying the guy at the garage thinks there's something wrong with one. I rang her and one of the cams is tight. He gave her an 'I wouldn't fit that' speech and now I'm shitting it.

It's been near two months since I last saw the heads and I remember one cam being tight but the cam caps weren't matching. I swapped them over and it was better. I can't remember whether I marked them up properly so it's possible he's mixed them up. I also have no knowledge of whether the heads have previously had a CCT failure (they're not the same heads that were on the running engine) but even if it had it still feels like a cam journal issue not bent stuff. The valves are new, the cams are from a different engine and the cam sprockets are from a third engine.

The valves went in the guides easily with no tightness. The cams surely can't be bent given how short and supported they are and the cam sprockets are slotted. One of the helpful observations he made was that the marks on the sprocket slots suggested a CCT failure. They were from Lloydie and I'm pretty sure he'd have mentioned it if so, plus they could have been marked from timing them up.

I'm flapping and off-loading but nothing went wrong until I outsourced work. :x

My plan is to check the cam caps match. Then:
  1. If not swap them
  2. Double check oil clearances all round
  3. If one is tight I might get an idea of whether the cam is bent or not by checking the oil clearance with it rotated in different positions.
  4. Give the tight one a little smoothing with 1000 grit wet and dry, or maybe polishing paste
  5. Check oil clearances again
If the cam frees up then great. If it's still tight I've no clue what to do apart from drown my sorrows and start again when I'm back in the mood. IIRC before I swapped the cam caps over the cam was difficult to turn, after is was tighter than the others with a little initial stiction but would turn by hand.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Hope it all gets straightened out quickly (and cheaply). No fun when things run afoul (as I have found out to my chagrin on a few prior occassions in my numerous modding sessions)
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
lloydie

From 107 to xxx

Post by lloydie »

Not all cams are the same size and can be loose or tight .
As it’s tight (good news ) you’ll have to lap it in .
As for the sprockets ,they were off a good engine .