From 107 to 128

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
freeridenick

Re: From 107 to 128

Post by freeridenick »

AMCQ46 wrote:would be interesting for a metallurgist to look at that to understand how it failed. looks like a stress crack (the flat dark grey surface) from the edge of the bearing wear mark that went through 70% of the journal then it it snapped the rest when it could take the load.

surprised and glad that the pistons didn't hit the valves, hope the new engine gets all the good bits and goes even stronger
In my head hitting first instead of second going into Park at Cadwell resulted in the stress and failure, it's on the clutch side. I went back to first instead of second several time over a couple of days. I'm guessing it couldn't take it.

Or this caused a crack which meant the flywheel side had enough movement for the flywheel and stator to touch and bind. This then snapped the crank.

Where would I find a metallurgist?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I work with a few metallurgists, if you take a few good close up photos of the surface, I will ask one for an opinion
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:43 pm
AMCQ46 wrote:would be interesting for a metallurgist to look at that to understand how it failed. looks like a stress crack (the flat dark grey surface) from the edge of the bearing wear mark that went through 70% of the journal then it it snapped the rest when it could take the load.

surprised and glad that the pistons didn't hit the valves, hope the new engine gets all the good bits and goes even stronger
In my head hitting first instead of second going into Park at Cadwell resulted in the stress and failure, it's on the clutch side. I went back to first instead of second several time over a couple of days. I'm guessing it couldn't take it.

Or this caused a crack which meant the flywheel side had enough movement for the flywheel and stator to touch and bind. This then snapped the crank.

Where would I find a metallurgist?
You beat me to it. After seeing the photo of the crank I was going to ask you exactly when the crank let go.

Did a conrod big-end leave the crankshaft and damage the engine :?:

Chris.

PS. Your thinking on how the crank ending up breaking sounds quite possible to me.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

freeridenick wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:30 pm Some JB Weld and it'll be fine, right? Image
holy shat nick thats ugly looking, but at least the rest looks good so thats a result :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

sirch345 wrote:
Nope. The clutch-side main bearing was heavily worn but complete. The front con-rod bearing is less worn but still toast, the rest look like they could be used again.

Only the flywheel side of the crank had any play so I think the fact nothing ending up inside the engine, and that it basically seized, has saved the pistons and valves.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:48 am
sirch345 wrote:
Nope. The clutch-side main bearing was heavily worn but complete. The front con-rod bearing is less worn but still toast, the rest look like they could be used again.

Only the flywheel side of the crank had any play so I think the fact nothing ending up inside the engine, and that it basically seized, has saved the pistons and valves.
I think you were very lucky not to have had anymore damage to the engine than you did, although having a crank go like that must have been a butt clenching moment :crazy:

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

freeridenick wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:48 am
sirch345 wrote:

Sad to see but know you're not alone (I went through it a few years back). I recommend you have a good look at the cases as mine had worn (leaving room for lateral play) and needed replacing (not hard to come by thankfully)
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

The cases are scrap and I think the pistons are too. Photos below and opinions very much appreciated. The wear on the bearing surfaces for the gudgeon pin are not bad but much worse on one side than the other - clutch side. The gudgeon pins have wear marks that can be felt with a finger nail. They can be replaced but I feel like the wear on the pistons would mean they'd move too much in replacement cases.

DSC_6937.JPG
DSC_6934.JPG
DSC_6931.JPG
DSC_6930.JPG
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You might get away with the piston skirt marks but they would wear quicker than normal. I assume that the pin grooves are in the small end area rather than the piston journal area?
The other option for the pistons might be ptfe buttons or dlc coating in the skirt area.
I've never tried that myself, but apparently it lowers friction and heat transfer.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

tony.mon wrote:You might get away with the piston skirt marks but they would wear quicker than normal. I assume that the pin grooves are in the small end area rather than the piston journal area?
The other option for the pistons might be ptfe buttons or dlc coating in the skirt area.
I've never tried that myself, but apparently it lowers friction and heat transfer.
Yes the grooves on the pins are from the small end. They'll obviously be replaced if I use the pistons again and I won't be using the con rods.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Now the stage 2 engine is out I've got a little ahead of myself and started to think about what to do with the rebuild. Given it's not going to be a track bike it opens up the options but I'm not sure which to choose. Input welcome

1) Full on race rep, eventually with ram air. Given this is and ex-race frame and now had 'Blade forks and race bodywork this was my first idea. But there are a few like this; Fabio's, Yeti's, GLRS's.
2) Semi-street sleeper. Basically the above but wrapped in stock bodywork. The trouble with this one is that the 'Blade forks and Mori exhaust are too obvious as mods.
3) Semi-naked special. I've still got the polished cases so a matt black frame/swingarm and satin black engine would look great. Flat bars on the 'blade forks and some sort of bodywork to hide the rads and it could look cool. Or it could look .
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

freeridenick wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:48 pm Now the stage 2 engine is out I've got a little ahead of myself and started to think about what to do with the rebuild. Given it's not going to be a track bike it opens up the options but I'm not sure which to choose. Input welcome

1) Full on race rep, eventually with ram air. Given this is and ex-race frame and now had 'Blade forks and race bodywork this was my first idea. But there are a few like this; Fabio's, Yeti's, GLRS's.
2) Semi-street sleeper. Basically the above but wrapped in stock bodywork. The trouble with this one is that the 'Blade forks and Mori exhaust are too obvious as mods.
3) Semi-naked special. I've still got the polished cases so a matt black frame/swingarm and satin black engine would look great. Flat bars on the 'blade forks and some sort of bodywork to hide the rads and it could look cool. Or it could look Image.

What ever one that’ll get used the most . No point building it not to use . .
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

freeridenick wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:48 pm Now the stage 2 engine is out I've got a little ahead of myself and started to think about what to do with the rebuild. Given it's not going to be a track bike it opens up the options but I'm not sure which to choose. Input welcome

3) Semi-naked special. I've still got the polished cases so a matt black frame/swingarm and satin black engine would look great. Flat bars on the 'blade forks and some sort of bodywork to hide the rads and it could look cool. Or it could look Image.
I would go with the second option. Though I am a bit biased as even though I only have the junior version with my STG 1 I can say most folks don't even notice the SP2 front end or even the Akra cans, let alone the rest of the bits you can see..... :lol: :lol: :wink:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Option 2.

A wolf in sheep's clothing

As Hawk says, most Herbert's wouldn't even know what Moriwaki is. Paint everything black and then you'll be really under the radar.

Jamie :wave:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

option 3 but put a rad up under the seat with some fans on it :thumbup: without the side rads most normans will have no idea what they are looking at :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: