From 107 to 128

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
lloydie

Re: From 107 to 126

Post by lloydie »

Well done , yes headers will help lots so get looking for the gooduns !
Mori,yoshi,acrapovic,HRC ,.
In the mean time you can make the standard headers breath a tad better by grounding down the welds on the inside of the flanges where it bolts into the head .
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

lloydie wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:26 pm Well done , yes headers will help lots so get looking for the gooduns !
Mori,yoshi,acrapovic,HRC ,.
In the mean time you can make the standard headers breath a tad better by grounding down the welds on the inside of the flanges where it bolts into the head .
iv seen a few sets of standard downpipes and as lloydie say get the dremel into them. some of the ones iv seen really are messy .
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

==============================Enter the Darkside
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

freeridenick wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:09 pm When things happen slowly and when one talks to folks - this great place - ideas and opportunities present themselves. And, I should have known, there's no such thing as finished.

The first thing the Dyno guy said once we'd called it a day was 'now you need to look at the suspension'. More power equals more squatting etc. I've already got The springy bits sorted but they will need setting up again for the new output.

I've got a braced swingarm ready to go in so the yolks would be something to think about at the same time. Light wheels would be great but very expensive so will probably be later or never.

Given the flattening off of the power between 9k and the limit I'm starting to think there's not enough movement of gasses to cope so finding some velocity stacks and playing with the open airbox will happen. I'm also wondering whether the exhaust is restricting this but that's mega money too.
A couple of things....first bikes don't squat but actually lift under acceleration due to the power being applied above the axle.
The main bit though is the power flatting out in the upper RPMs. Yes the exhaust is part of the issue and the guys have covered how to get a bit more out of the stock header.
The other issue is you have a bit too much advance in the upper RPMs. The HRC ECU actually starts pulling advance out in the upper rev range, one of the reasons the fixed advancers are not the best solution if you run the bike up to the limiter......unless you have the HRC box which has no limiter.... 8O

Glad to hear it is running well for you :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

One other thought.....

I know Tony never got that air filter to work, so it might be worth doing a dyno run with a more conventional K&N set up to see if you get closer to the correct AFR in more parts of the Rev range
AMcQ
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I've actually got a set of Mori headers but the collector section is cracked and keeps cracking when I've had it welded. So it's fatigued. I'm probably going to look for someone who can make that section up in stainless.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

freeridenick wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:34 am
I've actually got a set of Mori headers but the collector section is cracked and keeps cracking when I've had it welded. So it's fatigued. I'm probably going to look for someone who can make that section up in stainless.
Aren't those headers titanium? It is more tricky to weld properly, maybe one more try would be worth.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Stephan wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:14 pm
freeridenick wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:34 am
Aren't those headers titanium? It is more tricky to weld properly, maybe one more try would be worth.
The guy who did it tried several times and also bridged across the crack but it didn't hold. He's a professional welder and good, so I don't think it will ever hold. He's also on here.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Ok, it is for sure :) I wonder how much effect full exhaust have, as I think about trying oem headers, could be better for midrange. And with your 126 bhp, it is obvious oem headers are not restricted too much for stage1 builds.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Stephan wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:52 pm Ok, it is for sure :) I wonder how much effect full exhaust have, as I think about trying oem headers, could be better for midrange. And with your 126 bhp, it is obvious oem headers are not restricted too much for stage1 builds.
Fabio found the Mori system made a difference. Maybe I'll try it o. The Dyno and see. If the crack starts blowing there's nothing lost but it will show that it is better than stock. Or not. Tony.mon has an idea on my chart thread but I've not read it properly yet.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

A full system has a differance up top but Mike has made a very good point about the advancement. I think that even the mori engines may have had a -2 advancer fitted. Best to speak to Roger about it. This would also help with heat reduction.
==============================Enter the Darkside
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

nick when i got the mori system i tried it before i fitted the HRC ignition box. at the time my engine was runnind ,i wouldnt say rich but on the safe side lets say. the mori system on its own cleaned it up and it ran close to dead on richness wise. and it also helped the midrange to high end, enough that i could feel the difference :clap: .

the ignition box then did help high up. the workings of which iv no idea about what it does to the retard/advance but it sharpened it up..

could you not get your pipes fitted and put under whatever stress is cracking them but get them welded while they are in place on the bike?
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

fabiostar wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:35 pm could you not get your pipes fitted and put under whatever stress is cracking them but get them welded while they are in place on the bike?
It's fatigued Fabio not stressed, so it won't make any difference. Heat - cool - crack. That's the story. I'm thinking I should just fit it and wait until it blows too much before getting the collector section made up in stainless. I need exhaust brackets for low level cans though.

Riding it at the weekend was awsome. It's most definitely no slouch and the brakes are great. Although three sisters is not the track to really find out what it's like.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

freeridenick wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:37 pm
fabiostar wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:35 pm could you not get your pipes fitted and put under whatever stress is cracking them but get them welded while they are in place on the bike?
It's fatigued Fabio not stressed, so it won't make any difference. Heat - cool - crack. That's the story. I'm thinking I should just fit it and wait until it blows too much before getting the collector section made up in stainless. I need exhaust brackets for low level cans though.

Riding it at the weekend was awsome. It's most definitely no slouch and the brakes are great. Although three sisters is not the track to really find out what it's like.
iv raced three sisters on supermotos before but god knows what a 1000cc bike must be like round that place lol :eek2 :eek2 :eek2
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

if you`re looking for a used full system, have a look at the jauce.com site, there is a continuous flow of nice systems there
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express