From 107 to 128

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Stephan

Re: From 107 to 126

Post by Stephan »

I do it this way and never had problem since.

1. Remove all old fluid
2. Connect hose and some bottle for pouring fluid to caliper/clutch bleeding bolt (only one of front brake calipers). Hose must have some part from bolt staying upright.
3. Leave bleeding bolt opened so fluid can go freely out
4. Fill the reservoir with new fluid. When you see fluid is coming out on hose connected to bolt, pump and fill until there are no bubbles coming out visible in hose. Bleeding bolt stayed opened all the time.
5. No bubbles visible when pumping, tighten the bleeding bolt, and repeat for 2nd caliper in case of front brakes.
6. If there is spongy feel on lever, continue with classic procedure - pump until hard, open bleed bolt, close .... But usually I do this once or twice just for sure.

For me the trick is to leave both end opened when filling, so there is free way for air going out, and there is no way for air to coming back from connected lower hose and opened bleeding bolt.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

That is starting to look the dogs dodas :clap: :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:34 pm It's starting to look more like a bike now. The pic below is how I started on Wednesday but the only noticeable difference is the fairing is now on. That was a good hour of measuring, testing and marking before I drilled the holes in the fresh paint. Note to self: drill holes first next time.

The rest of the day was spent bleeding brakes and clutch, trimming the dash to stop the clutch line fouling with the new clip-ons and fitting the water temperature gauge. I got fed up with still having a spongy lever so sacked it off. As I was tidying up I found the fresh bottle of Dot 4 I'd bought for the job. I wondered why I couldn't remember opening it and using most of it - I was used the bottle I opened close to a year ago :evil:.

DSC_5830.JPG
You're getting there :clap:

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

A little present came over the water last week and I finally fitted it today. Fabio wasn't joking when he said it was like the Fourth Bridge. 'Blade braced version for comparison below, which will now be going one the road bike I think I can build with spares.
From the top
From the top
And the front
And the front
Rear brake fitted and bled, and I did the clutch and front brakes again too but I'm still not happy. I've changed leavers so maybe that's why they feel wrong. I'll swap them for the old ones and see if they feel the same as before. If not it's more bleeding. I HATE IT.

The only other thing I managed to do was fabricate some new rear seat supports but I got to play with my guillotine and folder. The front ones are cut so should be done this weekend and I should get chance to weld up the rear ones tomorrow night. Only twelve more jobs to do before I can use it. It's always the little things that take ages.
Nearly looking like a bike
Nearly looking like a bike
Last edited by freeridenick on Wed May 08, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Happy days Nick ,that is looking the dogs balls.. see what i mean when its beside a blade brace lol.... nice to see that chassis back getting used :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Update on the fork travel warning from Popkat.

I measured the exposed stantion from the very top of the seal to the underside of the lower clamp on the stantion and there's a knat's rock hair more than 120mm with a +6mm pull through. The manual states the fork stroke is 120mm with the axle travel as 109mm.

As far as I can work out that means I'm all good.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:40 pm A little present came over the water last week and I finally fitted it today. Fabio wasn't joking when he said it was like the Fourth Bridge. 'Blade braced version for comparison below, which will now be going one the road bike I think I can build with spares.

DSC_5835.JPG
DSC_5836.JPG

Rear brake fitted and bled, and I did the clutch and front brakes again too but I'm still not happy. I've changed leavers so maybe that's why they feel wrong. I'll swap them for the old ones and see if they feel the same as before. If not it's more bleeding. I HATE IT.

The only other thing I managed to do was fabricate some new rear seat supports but I got to place with my guillotine and folder. The front ones are cut so should be done this weekend and I should get chance to weld up the rear ones tomorrow night. Only twelve more jobs to do before I can use it. It's always the little things that take ages.

It that doesn't keep the swingarm rigid then nothing will :)

Your bike is looking good Nick 8)

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

A month's gone by and it doesn't look much different. I've been trying to sort out brackets for the seat and belly pan but my fabrication skills, as it turns out, are shite. I made some rear brackets for the seat then realised I'd never get the seat over them :roll: and my attempts at the belly pan ones have proved so slow I've sacked it off for now.

So today I ticked off a bunch of easy jobs to boost my morale: seat foam and bump stop shaped and glued on; fettled the existing seat supports; new grips; heated and bent the screen to fit better - not so successful; tank grips on. But for an errand that cost me an hour it would have been running too.
DSC_5858.JPG
I also tried to refit the chain but I'm not happy with the riveting. The one on the right I got the tool off-centre. The one on the left I did just for the practice but I'm still not sure it's right. The tool was square on and when all the way to the plate, so according to the instructions it's good. But it doesn't look like it's compressed enough. Thoughts please. Not great shots as my phone won't focus closer.
Face on
Face on
From.the top.
From.the top.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Doesnt look good for me, it is maybe compressed too much and this hole in the place where should be full material holding the strenght is worrying me. On my chain riveted by proven mechanic, you hardly recognize where the connection is. Maybe I am just too cautious ...

Edit: I mean one hole seems to me too deep.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

where abouts did you get the seat foam Nick?
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

fabiostar wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:10 pm where abouts did you get the seat foam Nick?
The seat foam was from a local suppliers, the elbow (this profanity filter is a might ridiculous) stop was from Race seat foam. Or something like that. It was a 40mm square I cut in half then cut to a half-moon shape. It's got a self-adhesive back so I stuck one on top of the other then trimmed it. The taper was a mistake in cutting the first piece so I had to carry on.

The base is two 10mm sheets stuck to each other then shaped and stuck to the seat unit with contact adhesive. Both were quite easy to cut and shape with a craft knife and grades of wet and dry wrapped around a block.
Stephan wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:26 pm Doesnt look good for me, it is maybe compressed too much and this hole in the place where should be full material holding the strenght is worrying me. On my chain riveted by proven mechanic, you hardly recognize where the connection is. Maybe I am just too cautious ...

Edit: I mean one hole seems to me too deep.
It's going to get replaced but the pins are hollow so the one on the left is how it looks - the one on the right looks like a shallow hole because I didn't fit the tool properly and it folded the edge in. I need to measure the rivet. They should 1.5mm to 1.7mm larger than when they have not been pressed. It's and OE Honda link.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

freeridenick wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:00 pm I also tried to refit the chain but I'm not happy with the riveting. The one on the right I got the tool off-centre. The one on the left I did just for the practice but I'm still not sure it's right. The tool was square on and when all the way to the plate, so according to the instructions it's good. But it doesn't look like it's compressed enough. Thoughts please. Not great shots as my phone won't focus closer.
There is very little (~zero) lateral stress on the pin. It's all in shear. Spring clips in removeable links simply hold the link in place and take no stress. If you can't pull the side link off sideways with pliers I would say you are good to go.

But... If you are at all unhappy do it again.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Should be ok then, as Kermit wrote.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I should have had this done yesterday but a hangover that refused to ease off and a dead battery meant I had to finish the job today. If you forget to take the plugs out when turning it over to get some oil round the engine it doesn't take long to drain a battery.

The only other niggle I had to resolve was the temperature gauge losing power once the bike was started. It turned out that I can’t read a wiring diagram and I can't see properly either: blue/red doesn't go to a permanent earth and I can't tell the difference between green with a stripe and green without. :roll:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Nick...

Pm sent...

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...