Vtr vfr streetfighter progress

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Mr.wolf

Vtr vfr streetfighter progress

Post by Mr.wolf »

Bit of progress on the project.

Been stripped and powder coated including the shock spring.

Bought the rear end off a vfr750 for 200 eBay.. was some faf and unforseen expense having it rewelded to accommodate the shock and wheel.

More to come
Attachments
IMG-20180324-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20180324-WA0003.jpg
VTRDark

Re: Vtr vfr streetfighter progress

Post by VTRDark »

Screw the bike...I want your workshop :lol: The perfect opotunity to give things a good clean including those headers. Any plans for the bodywork?
==============================Enter the Darkside
Mr.wolf

Post by Mr.wolf »

VTRDark wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:32 pm Screw the bike...I want your workshop :lol: The perfect opotunity to give things a good clean including those headers. Any plans for the bodywork?
Hah not my workshop very sadly :sad2 in my pals. Gonna give the engine a clean up and spray. Currently got the tank front fender and tail piece getting gloss blacked. Keeping the rest of the bike matte black.

Cutting the exhaust 2 into 1 and dropping the gearing down to get more low end.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Well blow me down. That's going to be similar to mine. I'm going with a Matt and gloss Black combinantion with some texture and carbon thrown into the mix. I used a two pack epoxy resin for my frame and swingarm and having to do all the work including spraying in my back yard open to the elements :( Bodywork is to be a Shiny Gloss finish and Frame etc Matt / Satin. More Satin than Matt actually as to keep Matt clean and keep the flatt look is not easy.

Mr.wolf

Post by Mr.wolf »

VTRDark wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:58 pm Well blow me down. That's going to be similar to mine. I'm going with a Matt and gloss Black combinantion with some texture and carbon thrown into the mix. I used a two pack epoxy resin for my frame and swingarm and having to do all the work including spraying in my back yard open to the elements :( Bodywork is to be a Shiny Gloss finish and Frame etc Matt / Satin. More Satin than Matt actually as to keep Matt clean and keep the flatt look is not easy.

Looking good.. You painting your engine? Currently debating best plan of attack for that now.. the radiators was definitely a learning curb. Nice to see someone else with good taste :lol:

Feel like the single sided has increased the length alot although I haven't measured it. Dropping the gearing 45/16 with bar risers and renthals should be interesting to see how she handles.
Attachments
20180324_162915.jpg
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Engine is not painted. Just a good clean and coated in a detailing Engine Laquer. Clutch and generator covers where painted a while back along with the frame, swingarm, cam covers and forks in a 2 pack epoxy resin. That gave a real solid hard wearing finish that has adhered well. I now have wet sanded the swingarm and frame to give a smoother finish and Applied a Hycoat Truck Bed Liner Spray and done my cam covers in that too. I then gave them a coat of spray laquer as a bit of extra protection.

For the bodywork I'm a big fan of the Autotech products so used a Gloss Black as my base along with filling any slight imperfections wet n drying back down and giving another coat, basically misscoats to build it up and prepare for the finish. I now need to give one more final finish coat with that so I have a good base colour with depth which will then get a light wet n dry to key the surface. I then have a Crystal Black NH731P which is the final colour I have decided upon for my finish. I may possibly put a 2K laquer over the top of that but not sure yet. I'm toying with the idea, but putting a 2k over 1k can be risky and I don't want it to react as your rad's did. If I do I will leave it for a week or two, maybe even a month for the 1k to seriousley harden off and then it will be 1200 grade wet n dry to key and a very cautious dusting to begin with and build it up. Leave it to harden off and then polish and wax time. I need some decent weather. I'm not an expert at spraying but as an ex painter and decorator I enjoy doing it myself along with the learning curve.

Here's my first attempt of a vehicle respray with rattle cans.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26335&p=280722&hilit=fazer#p280624
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nice work with the ssswingarm :thumbup:

A bit late now I know, but IIRC the VFR800 swingarm is less work to fit than the VFR750 arm is.

As for the difference in length, I have a feeling the VFR800 arm is something like 40-45mm longer than the standard Firestorm swingarm is, I'm not sure if the VFR750 is the same,

Chris.
Mr.wolf

Post by Mr.wolf »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:57 pm Nice work with the ssswingarm :thumbup:

A bit late now I know, but IIRC the VFR800 swingarm is less work to fit than the VFR750 arm is.

As for the difference in length, I have a feeling the VFR800 arm is something like 40-45mm longer than the standard Firestorm swingarm is, I'm not sure if the VFR750 is the same,

Chris.
Better late than never.! Cheers Chris
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Mr.wolf wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:38 pm
sirch345 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:57 pm Nice work with the ssswingarm :thumbup:

Chris.
Better late than never.! Cheers Chris
:thumbup:

Chris.
motojohn

Post by motojohn »

if anybody need a vfr 800 swing arm i have one just sat in the workshop also i have a 750 one on my fireblade
If you think my attitude stinks ,you should smell my fingers !!
Mr.wolf

Post by Mr.wolf »

Nothing that exciting to report.. needed to change the shock bracket .. gave it a coat of self etching primer then 2 of vht for durability.. painted in home made paint booth 1 part mop 1 part Amazon delivery box 1 part neighbours coat hanger !

Mr.wolf

Post by Mr.wolf »

Nothing that exciting to report.. needed to change the shock bracket .. gave it a coat of self etching primer then 2 of vht for durability.. painted in home made paint booth 1 part mop 1 part Amazon delivery box 1 part neighbours coat hanger !
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Not a big job but a very important one. :thumbup: Amazing how much of the linkage gets seen too when sitting next to the bike. Nice ingrediants list there for you spray booth :lol: Those old metal coat hangers are worth their weight in Gold, so many uses and something that will eventually disapear from society and replaced with plastic. Another good use for them is running electrical wires when one has to feed a bunch a wires through a something. They are particulary handy if you ever have to run wires through a car door at the hinge point and into the vehicle inner kickwell or running a loom under carpet.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Mr.wolf wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:15 am Nothing that exciting to report.. needed to change the shock bracket .. gave it a coat of self etching primer then 2 of vht for durability.. painted in home made paint booth 1 part mop 1 part Amazon delivery box 1 part neighbours coat hanger !
I like your spay booth, very innovative :thumbup:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Mr Wolf,

Please note the photo's you uploaded included information on the address where the photo's were taken.
This is most likely due to the device you took the photo's having "GPS" (Global Positioning System). If you don't want that information included with your photo's in the future you'll need to turn "GPS" off before taking the photo's, either that or remove the information before uploading the photo's.

This time I have removed the photo's with the information and re-uploaded them for, but from now on it's up to you,

Chris (Sirch345 site Admin).