A few changes

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
AMCQ46

Re: A few changes

Post by AMCQ46 »

fabiostar wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:24 pm first off junk the return cable, it makes things a lot easier..no need for it and gives you a lighter throttle.
I agree. run mine last 3 or 4 yrs with no return. makes the action lighter and it is easier to sort the routing for just 1 cable.

with my flat bars, I have the cable exiting the twist grip and pointing at a 10 o'clock angle [if you look from above and picture 12 as pointing forwards] then route the cable between the fork leg and the frame from behind. that works well
AMcQ
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

Thanks lads, will do that.
Break it, mend it, mod it, thrash it. If it's made then it's bettered by beer and goggles. Me bikes had Kwak ZZR, Suzuki TL1000s, Yama R1, Aprilia RSV. Now have VTR, Honda CB750 hand built brat/trickster, Yama XS750 and wee old Vespa.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

after reading Al's comments last year, I decided to remove the return cable from mine, and as Al said the throttle action is better.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

if for some reason the throttle linkage ever did stick open, with the size of the spring honda fitted no return cable in the world would close it anyhow, iv had my return cable for years now and never had a problem.. :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

Gonna change right foot hanger today, but can't find my large sockets, is it 27mm socket I need to unscrew the swingarm nut?, also for Chris, agentpinapple and fabiostar. Did you adjust the gear selector and arm to be sitting higher?, just when I was running up and down my road, that it's sitting to low due to new riding position. Just that I was finding it uncomfortable for my foot to stretch under the lever to change gear, but was only going up and down 1 and 2nd gears.
Break it, mend it, mod it, thrash it. If it's made then it's bettered by beer and goggles. Me bikes had Kwak ZZR, Suzuki TL1000s, Yama R1, Aprilia RSV. Now have VTR, Honda CB750 hand built brat/trickster, Yama XS750 and wee old Vespa.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'm almost 100% sure it is a 27mm socket. I don't think I did needed to adjust the gear lever selector arm after I fitted the Renthal bars. No harm in trying it in a new position, you might find it's better. Just make a note of where it was so you can put it back if you don't like it. From what you're saying it sounds like yours could do with coming up a bit,

Chris.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

M18 x 1.50mm Thread, 27mm Socket Size

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces ... STORM.html

Rotate it onto the next spline - fine tune it with adjusting the rod length.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

The swingarm nut is the same as the rear wheel...27mm. It's not still on a breaker bar or tourque wrench from last use is it ?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

Don't know, never taken it off on this bike. But will find it when I clear things up hopefully. If not will buy one in Amazon, they are only a few quid for new socket.
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

Need some help or guide on what to do, borrowed the right socket and tried taking the swingarm bolt out. It no easy task. Have the engine on block of wood so rear wheel is off the ground, but this bolt is a bugger, can get it so far, but I need to take the weight off the swing arm. What's th best way to change this bolt round so I can put a new right foot hanger on. Any help please or how anyone else did this. Is it best to remove the rear wheel and loosen the suspension arm?.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Hoist it up by the subframe using a step ladder as support or feed in the rear wheel spindle from the other side as you take out the swing arm spindle.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

mags@port

Post by mags@port »

Excellent, thanks wicky. Started using a small drift bar, but I was worried about knocking the bearings and stopped as it was not large enough.
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

Progress so far,

mags@port

Post by mags@port »

Bugger of swingarm bolt, was goona do more tonight, but sod it knackered after fitting in new dryer and moving kitchen units around all day on my hands and knees.

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Last two shock linkage servicing sessions in progress on the Storm