A few changes

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
mags@port

A few changes

Post by mags@port »

Ok, as same of you may have seen this bike before as it belonged to grumpy frog, and think it was on last years vtr group rally. So what have done to it since March of this year when I acquired it.

Changed to manual cct's
Added risers from trickbits
Renthal ultra low bars
Wezmoto brake, clutch and rear lines
Stripped fairings and prepared for paint, still in primer most of them
Serviced, new plugs, oil, filters
Flushed and added new coolest.
New foot pegs as it came with crap uncomfortable ones.

This is the stage I am at just now, started cutting back the fairing to allow the extra height and turning of the bars. Now a have a small problem, I have rerouted the throttle cables, but when turning hard right they stick in what ever the throttle is open so if I am in a corner, there is a chance that they will stick. So I have to move them around a bit to make sure this does not become a problem. Apart from that it runs great, and just need finish it off so I can get this to an mot station next week or the week after to enjoy my fruits of labour. And one else have this problem and how you overcome it. Will add more pics

Break it, mend it, mod it, thrash it. If it's made then it's bettered by beer and goggles. Me bikes had Kwak ZZR, Suzuki TL1000s, Yama R1, Aprilia RSV. Now have VTR, Honda CB750 hand built brat/trickster, Yama XS750 and wee old Vespa.
mags@port

Re: A few changes

Post by mags@port »

More pics

Break it, mend it, mod it, thrash it. If it's made then it's bettered by beer and goggles. Me bikes had Kwak ZZR, Suzuki TL1000s, Yama R1, Aprilia RSV. Now have VTR, Honda CB750 hand built brat/trickster, Yama XS750 and wee old Vespa.
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

Will only let me put single pics up

mags@port

Post by mags@port »

Should have added pic of the cables

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Cable routing? and / or a tad too short after using the risers? or something to with the odd red throttle housing?

Pgs 21 –26 in PDF Service Manual - GENERAL INFORMATION CABLE & HARNESS ROUTING
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i had the same problem with my yellow bikes cable... i binned the return cable first of all, then instead of running the cable round the outside of the forks then back to the carbs, i turned the cable before it got to the forks and ran it back to the carbs..if that makes sense? behind the fork instead of round it?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

I know what your saying, and tried that also. Think I have the solution, I have spare throttle cables from my cb750, same size but longer so I will try that over the bank holiday. It's not a huge problem, but i will figure it out.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mags@port wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 6:14 pm Ok, as same of you may have seen this bike before as it belonged to grumpy frog, and think it was on last years vtr group rally. So what have done to it since March of this year when I acquired it.

Changed to manual cct's
Added risers from trickbits
Renthal ultra low bars
Wezmoto brake, clutch and rear lines
Stripped fairings and prepared for paint, still in primer most of them
Serviced, new plugs, oil, filters
Flushed and added new coolest.
New foot pegs as it came with crap uncomfortable ones.

This is the stage I am at just now, started cutting back the fairing to allow the extra height and turning of the bars. Now a have a small problem, I have rerouted the throttle cables, but when turning hard right they stick in what ever the throttle is open so if I am in a corner, there is a chance that they will stick. So I have to move them around a bit to make sure this does not become a problem. Apart from that it runs great, and just need finish it off so I can get this to an mot station next week or the week after to enjoy my fruits of labour. And one else have this problem and how you overcome it. Will add more pics
I have a similar set up as you with Renthal Ultra Low handlebars etc, and cables running outside of the fork leg just like you are.
Are you running the throttle cables with enough slack (ooh err missus :lol: ) in them :?: you need more than you did with the standard clip-ons,

Chris.
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

I will recheck them again today, but yes Chris, I did them as normal so maybe to tight at the housing and need more slack for turning right. Will try with longer cables also, if I can find them :confused
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mags@port wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 8:02 am I will recheck them again today, but yes Chris, I did them as normal so maybe to tight at the housing and need more slack for turning right. Will try with longer cables also, if I can find them :confused
I must admit I would prefer longer cables myself even though my bike doesn't have the problem yours has. I don't like the way the throttle cables rub up against the fairing when turning the steering on full lock to the right. I would like longer cables to be able to run in behind the fork leg as the they did with the clip-ons, but that's just me being fussy I guess :)

If you do find a longer cable(s) working please let us know,

Chris.
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

tried my spare cables from the cb750, and nope it won't work, perfect length but the cable itself is not long enough. It's just too tight when hooking up to the throttle spindle, and hooking up the adjusters. put the originals back on and made some adjustments, wI'll do until winter when I can get a set made up.

Now to finish up on paintworK on the tank, and put it all back together.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mags@port wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 2:14 pm tried my spare cables from the cb750, and nope it won't work, perfect length but the cable itself is not long enough. It's just too tight when hooking up to the throttle spindle, and hooking up the adjusters. put the originals back on and made some adjustments, wI'll do until winter when I can get a set made up.

Now to finish up on paintworK on the tank, and put it all back together.
Thanks for the update, a shame the CB750 cable didn't do the job.

One of our members on here says the earlier Honda Fireblade cables fit, although you'll need to remove some of the outer cable at the carb end. So I did a bit of searching online and have come up with this information which gives the length of inner and out cable dimensions as shown below. So if you know what length cables you need this should help. The cable below has the lengths for inner and outer cables for the "Pull" throttle cable, the "Push" cable has slightly different dimensions. Information taken from the Wemoto site:-

Chris.
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

Thanks for the info Chris, will investigate this, but first maybe a set from a vfr800 may woRk, since the bars are higher, and would imagine the set up being the same bike to bike. Will look into this also over the summer and repoRt back.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

first off junk the return cable, it makes things a lot easier..no need for it and gives you a lighter throttle.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mags@port wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:55 pm Thanks for the info Chris, will investigate this, but first maybe a set from a vfr800 may woRk, since the bars are higher, and would imagine the set up being the same bike to bike. Will look into this also over the summer and repoRt back.
Good luck with it. If I find out anything useful before you do yours I'll post it up,

Chris.