Project Varaturnipstorm or Fireturnipdero.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Varastorm

Project Varaturnipstorm or Fireturnipdero.

Post by Varastorm »

Now I know I’m still working on the Tracker project, but after thinking of this name I just had to start a thread before someone else does & pinches the title. Ha.

The idea has come around after reading up about various Harley XR750 flat track based racers. I was originally going to complete the bike that I’m making at the moment & maybe knock out another tracker with all the bits that I’ve picked up whilst hunting for stuff for this one. Also, a second tracker should be relatively easy as I now have all the tools & knowledge of what does & doesn’t fit.

Then I thought, where’s the fun in build two the same?

After lots of searching, reading & looking I learnt that a few tweaks to the Harley XR chassis can make it into a different beast altogether.

The XR750 / XRTT & the Turnip eater are quite similar chassis & engine wise, so if they can do it with a Harley engine & a mild steel frame then I/we should be able to do it with the Vtr engine & a mild steel Varadero frame.

Now I’ve never been attracted to old 60’s/70’s race bikes but I’m changing (male menopause?).

Is it a good thing? I dunno, but it’ll be an interesting project IF I have a go at it.

Here's some pictures.

The fairing can still be had from these guys

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/Har ... peater.htm

For the tank I've seen a Sinnis Hoodlum 125 jobbie.

fabiostar

Re: Project Varaturnipstorm or Fireturnipdero.

Post by fabiostar »

thats a strange looking bike :lol: looks like somebody fat sat on it lol.

kinda on the topic but, whos the guy has the storm engine in what looks like a Ducati trellis frame?.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

fabiostar wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:48 pm thats a strange looking bike :lol: looks like somebody fat sat on it lol.

kinda on the topic but, whos the guy has the storm engine in what looks like a Ducati trellis frame?.
Close your eyes Fabio & imagine I've been photo shopped from sitting on the bike & it would look like that :eek2

The frame, I was thinking on making a jig around the spare Varadero frame. 6 engine points & head stock angle placement. The engine would then have say 20/30mm'ish long (what ever's length's needed) 12mm holed 4-5mm thick tubes bolted to the jig then fitted'n bolted to the engine making sure the headstock is in the correct position. I was thinking of a hinged headstock jig to enable rake change.

Once thought out & lived into, anything would be possible. Maybe a home for my 4" extended CR/Varadero fork combo :thumbup:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Mmmmmmm No brakes or rear suspension. Good if you've got a smooth ¼ mile+ driveway or sumfink...

I'd like to see a Pariserdero-DakarStorm bike - big knobblies, 40Lfuel capacity, step ladder high to get on - something practical post March 29th ;-)
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

i am most worried about that bracket sticking up between the tank and the seat ............ perhaps I am over sensitive about damage to the family jewels :lol:

or perhaps that's where the name Turnip Eater comes from ... that bracket will rip your turnips off
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Crackin' name(s) :lol:

I still admire your enthusiasm 8)

All I can says is make sure you finish the Varatracker first, if you start on another bike the Varatracker won't get finished, it'll be sidelined,

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

It's just me thinking out loud Chris, I've no room to start another build atm either :thumbup:

When I posted this Turnip thread I was still lost with the wiring on the tracker, but yesterday I feel that I turned a corner & managed to fit the loom into the bike quite tidily :D

Today I made a load of tapped fasteners/lugs for the tracker battery box.

So things are slowly getting there now :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I spotted this modern take of the old Turnip eater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5vmqtbf9fY
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:56 pm It's just me thinking out loud Chris, I've no room to start another build atm either :thumbup:

When I posted this Turnip thread I was still lost with the wiring on the tracker, but yesterday I feel that I turned a corner & managed to fit the loom into the bike quite tidily :D

Today I made a load of tapped fasteners/lugs for the tracker battery box.

So things are slowly getting there now :thumbup:
It's always good to get a job you don't enjoy out of the way :thumbup:

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

AMCQ46 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:00 am i am most worried about that bracket sticking up between the tank and the seat ............ perhaps I am over sensitive about damage to the family jewels :lol:

or perhaps that's where the name Turnip Eater comes from ... that bracket will rip your turnips off
That had me giggling hehe. :lol: :eek2

Right then, I'm so busy in work & being stuck with fitting the wiring on the tracker project (as in making it look tidy) there's not much to report. I appreciate that I've not completed the tracker project & it should be finished before this project starts, but I feel that by collecting parts when they pop up saves time & money in the long run. If only the Misses could see it this way..

I have many searches on ebay & am constantly looking for odd's & sod's, these searches are checked every day & many purchases are made well before they're actually needed.

Here's some recent purchases for the Turnip build.

On the left is a complete Varadero 1000 front end & on the right is a CBR600 F4i front end.

I also have the calipers & master & braided lines for the cbr front.

Not sure if the turnip build will require headstock modification chop/change or a complete new frame to allow for the shallower fork rake.

I now have both so no problem which ever way it goes.

If I did use the Varadero forks I was thinking of removing the left (linked) caliper & clean (grind & smooth) the fork leg & run only one right disc & caliper for a super clean look.

Both sets of fork seals have failed so I've bought two sets of seals & since they are both 43mm diameter I treated myself to one of these.

Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I've also found a dent free Tank.

The plan is to remove the tabs from the underside. Oh, I forgot I got one of these too..

I was lucky with the mounting plate, fits spot on to the Hoodlum Tank.

These will go on the CBR forks if fitted.