New bike, no doubt a new project!

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
TheBozBoz

Re: New bike, no doubt a new project!

Post by TheBozBoz »

fabiostar wrote:
TheBozBoz wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:26 pm Yeah that's right, it's the aussie guy but I got them new off ebay recently for only £50! I thought it was a bargain if only to test the water getting more ponies out of the storm!

Funily enough after reading a few posts I have removed the front intake 'snorkel' and I don't think theres much else to remove inside the box. My wondering is the exhaust pops and I thought that was air getting into the exhaust system. Maybe that's why I see SS exhaust flanges on ebay! Is the exhaust system SS?

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk
i tried those stacks back to back on the one day changing from the alloy mori ones, the ones you have improved the midrange, the other ones gave more top end, enough of a difference for my tonsils dyno to notice so for road use iv kept them in.
Other than stock I've nothing to compare to and although I did the tps at the same time I'm guessing the improved ride is down to them! Next will be swapping the front end to improve the suspension

TheBozBoz

Post by TheBozBoz »

8541Hawk wrote:
TheBozBoz wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:27 pm Little update on the bike today. Thought I'd do the tps adjustment by bending the lower bracket a bit, managed to get 429ohm so decided that was as close to the argued magic number of 430!
Personally I believe the 430 number is a bit of an error. Yes it was shown on the OP post to give a slight boost to top end power but if you really look at what is going on, it might not be the best option.

I say this as the TPS is one of the two things the ECU "looks" at to set the advance curve (RPM is the other factor)

This means that setting the TPS to 430 will actually retard the timing through out the rev range. While this might be good for top end, I believe you loose out everywhere else. Unless you are running above 7K with a stock ECU I don't see a benefit.

Now if you go the other way and set the TPS to say 550-600 range, now you are advancing the timing by tricking the ECU into thinking you have a larger throttle opening. This should move the advance curve up a step in the map and give more advance.

Since the advancers are no longer available (and were only for the '97-'00 model years as the ECU changes with the dash change) this is what I would be looking into if I was running a stock ECU.
TheBozBoz wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:27 pmAlso managed to fit my new old stock velocity stacks, they are BIG! I know I'll need to play around with jetting. I wonder if dynos are open during lockdown?!?

What I was hoping to do was remove the PAIR system as I bought the blanking kit on ebay. Turns out my bike simply doesn't have it. The weird thing is it still pops on deaccleration and sometimes upwards shifting. I'm wondering now where the air is drawing in!?! Image

Could be you are running a touch lean.
Interesting read! I would say the first rude was faster higher revving than the 2nd but you've now got me tempted to set tps closer to 500! Surely then the factory reading I got of about 900 something would mean the ignition was massively adavanced?

8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

TheBozBoz wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:57 pm Interesting read! I would say the first rude was faster higher revving than the 2nd but you've now got me tempted to set tps closer to 500! Surely then the factory reading I got of about 900 something would mean the ignition was massively adavanced?

Yes they are set high from the factory for emissions and all seem to end up in the 800-900 Ohm range
To give you a better idea of what you are working with here is the stock map:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Very interesting. I can't recall seeing the STD map before.
The big steps are at 1 to 2k and 3 to 4k. That may be an attempt to reduce the carb coughs caused by having a spark while the inlet valves are just opening.
By the time you get an ignition advancer factored in there's quite a lot of advance over base. 39 plus 6 gives 45, plus the base correction of 5.

I don't know enough about this to know how extreme this is, given the engine configuration.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
TheBozBoz

Post by TheBozBoz »

I've got a couple of weeks off over the Xmas period so I'm hoping to crack on with putting the r1 front on the bike but I'd like to match the r6 wheel to the back.

The problem I have is the spindle for the r6 is 28mm, the storm is 20mm. So I'm wondering a few things now. (fingers crossed the wheel fits anyway) Should I just get a reducing pipe to fit the wheel to go from 28mm to 20? Should I try to get a custom rear wheel bearing set made? The size would be 53x20x14 I think - if so from where? Or is the SP1 swingarm able to fit the storms frame as it looks like that spindle is already bigger than 20mm! Any ideas/thoughts greatly appreciated cheers

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Check out other wheels that fit your R1 forks.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
TheBozBoz

Post by TheBozBoz »

tony.mon wrote:Check out other wheels that fit your R1 forks.
Nah not quite, I've already got matching lovely powder coated wheels, it's just a case of making the rear wheel fit the storms swinger...

TheBozBoz

Post by TheBozBoz »

Been taking the carbs apart to sort out jetting today. Pilots were marked 48s on both and front main was 175 rear was 178. Can someone tell me if this is stock for a UK bike?

8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Yes it is though there are also 2 other bits you need to keep track of....there is a front and rear emulsion tube and also a front and rear needle :thumbup:
TheBozBoz

Post by TheBozBoz »

Right I did one at a time to avoid mixing bits up! Any thoughts on the setup I now have? Pilot screws are 2turns out front and 2&1/4turns out rear, 182rear, 180front. Aussie stacks fitted with a Pipercross and snorkel removed, open cans. Do I need to shim the needles as well? I've also read a few posts on blocking a hole on the sliders. I put it back together today as I wanted to beat the snow coming but it reved up perfect and the needle returned yo tick over smooth.

8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

TheBozBoz wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:03 pm Right I did one at a time to avoid mixing bits up! Any thoughts on the setup I now have? Pilot screws are 2turns out front and 2&1/4turns out rear, 182rear, 180front. Aussie stacks fitted with a Pipercross and snorkel removed, open cans. Do I need to shim the needles as well? I've also read a few posts on blocking a hole on the sliders. I put it back together today as I wanted to beat the snow coming but it reved up perfect and the needle returned yo tick over smooth.

Well as they are all different it can be tough to call out the main jet size as I run a stock filter and still run the factory snorkel.

Also the exhaust system can play a part in the jetting. Even cutting down the cans will change things.

What I can say is first off run the stock lift holes. Blocking one off is only done when running the short stack, the billet stacks are considered "long" stacks for tuning purposes.

Also I have found that in most cases that when running the billet stacks you need to go down one size on the main jets.

To give an example of how different each bike can be, on mine with the stock airbox (minus the plastic bottle & hoses) billet stacks and a full Akrapovic exhaust - with full sized cans I was running 173-175 mains at 1000' above sea level :thumbup:

So about all I can say about the mains, even though it is not that helpful, is if the plugs are black, lean it out.
If they are tan, your good to go.
If she bangs and pops, go up one on the mains :thumbup:
TheBozBoz

Post by TheBozBoz »

After much contemplation, I though t I'd use up some old fazer 600 fairing bits too make a more upright fairing for the storm. My thinking is, Im not very confident in the current rising position. Don't know why, I'm just not. So I'll do a rental bar conversion the same time I swap my front forks. I don't however want to start hacking a perfectly good vtr fairing just incase the new ride position does nothing for me! So watch this space, I've got an old foxeye fairing, lights and bracket to mock up! Pictures to follow!

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

TheBozBoz wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:53 pm After much contemplation, I though t I'd use up some old fazer 600 fairing bits too make a more upright fairing for the storm. My thinking is, Im not very confident in the current rising position. Don't know why, I'm just not. So I'll do a rental bar conversion the same time I swap my front forks. I don't however want to start hacking a perfectly good vtr fairing just incase the new ride position does nothing for me! So watch this space, I've got an old foxeye fairing, lights and bracket to mock up! Pictures to follow!

this will be something different :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
TheBozBoz

Post by TheBozBoz »

Been able to spend some time on the bike this weekend. Abba stand was awesome to get the bike lifted up. So got the front end all off ready for the R1 usd front end swap and the fzs fairing cowl.

So far I've realised I was about 5mm off from my measuring - my custom fzr spindle in r1 bottom yoke is too long! So investigating maybe using cbr1000 yokes or might press out the vtr spindle and get that pressed in the R1 yoke instead. All share similar bearings so no worries about that.

As for the fairing the bracket doesn't fit straight on which was to be expected. However I get a feeling its not that bad, could even weld a similar mount to match the vtr headstock. I'll work on that properly once I get the forks on and know my new vehicle height etc! Aiming to get this ready for mayday as I'm hoping we can actually do the ride this year!

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

TheBozBoz

Post by TheBozBoz »

Pics!ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk