Say hello to my little friend.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Kev L

Re: Say hello to my little friend.

Post by Kev L »

That’s coming along mate
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Enjoy the journey
Looking good
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

That should keep your little friend happy 😈
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

Busy and a long journey are correct.
Hopefully I'll have it done by March so I can continue on the car build as it's been delayed playing bike mechanic. :lol: :wink:

I'll be needing some electrical barrier strips for some extra wiring for safety led's and seeing how the battery is laid out and restrictive for adding wires it's going to be quite challenging to get it all going. :Thinking: :Wall:

I do enjoy the restoration aspect of all this though.
Seeing the tail light come back to life after cleaning and polishing is rewarding. Same with buffing out the paint on the tank.
To see it all come back to life is what I do best but I'd forgotten how much work is involved with all the hand buffing and using stepped cleaners.
I've always done things like this by hand and although I could use a buffer or machine to make the job quicker it's more bragging rights when you can say I did it all by hand.

Any way back to the grind with it and I'll post up more as I go along. I may even have a question or two along the way. :wink:
Back to work Wednesday so times limited. :drunk:
1998 Honda SuperHawk aka FireStorm
https://www.dwn4lif.com
My website πŸ‘†
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Another option for the tail light\plate light is have one of these guys send you a UK tail light.
They are different than the US part in that the bottom is clear, which acts as the plate light.
That's what I run and it does clean up the plate area :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You've got some very nice mods there in those parts 8) :thumbup:

Chris.
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

sirch345 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:39 pm You've got some very nice mods there in those parts 8) :thumbup:

Chris.
Thank you very much. πŸ™πŸ½ :thumbup:

8451Hawk thanks for the info on that but I've already purchased a used and modified tail light with the two small holes in the bottom for the tag light. :thumbup:

I also purchased some nice license plate mounting screws led's that may work as well but until they come in I won't know which I'll be using.

But I do have more updates. :p :wink:

I finally did the baffelectomy and am quite happy with how easy it was and how well it turned out.
A 2-1/8 inch metal cutting hole saw that's 2-1/2 inches deep works perfectly for the job. I had very little to trim off after the cut and used a long 3/8 inch extension to literally wallow out the baffle. Some slight hammering helped but the effort of the extension worked great.
I used a barrel grinding stone on the Dremmel tool to clean up the hole and here's some pics.
Initial hole saw done.
Initial hole saw done.
Initial hole saw result
Initial hole saw result
The finished product. 😍😍
Finished product.
Finished product.
Finished product.
Finished product.
I also did the rec/ reg as well and used the Kawasaki MOSFET unit I got from EBay.
Everything soldered and heat shrunk and I did not want any quick connection as I prefer a more direct electrical contact for this application.
Everything nicely tucked and looking as good as factory. :biggrin :thumbup:

Pics. :cool2
Attachments
Another view.
Another view.
Rec/ reg done.
Rec/ reg done.
My website πŸ‘†
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

On the regulator I'm hoping the seat will fit the setup as it is.
I'll know when I get it all back together in a few months. :think:

I eliminated the ugly tag light for some freedom of design in that area and will have the plate mounted with either nuts and bolts or the aforementioned led plate screws.

Since safety is a concern I did the same to the bike as I did my car in adding some 'dot' led indicator lights we use in the trucking industry.
These are very bright for an indicator light and last forever while drawing very little current doing so.
02B1BA26-9012-49AE-AFEC-449F429FE197.jpeg
These are not for show but for safety and visibility in daylight and night.
3/4 inch hole and they pop right in and secure.
I'll be using the plate light wiring to work these and also the led plate screws since the fugly OEM tag light is now gone.

Pics and let me know what you think. :thumbup:
3F47B3DA-3269-481B-A5DB-C1B59FE97D06.jpeg
That's as much as I could get done in 6 hours of work and hope to get more done before I head back to work Wednesday.
:Sleep2: :Thinking: :think:
My website πŸ‘†
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

Got a bit more done today in the short time I had so I finally removed the gas tank and marked all the hoses off the fuel Petcock and used small colored tie wraps to make sure I put everything back where it belongs when I reassemble everything.
I'll be replacing both fuel lines with more standard automotive fuel line and adding a fuel filter to each line when done.
825C2994-859E-4A1F-8668-F474DB535CA3.jpeg
23100D32-B6C0-4443-8F91-A9F5DFAA45C6.jpeg
I also changed the muffler hanger bolts with something more pleasing to the eye as you'll see in the pics.
I like this better. 😍
DAE1E2BA-58C5-447B-8477-B522276C9D85.jpeg
4184BFC9-12BF-4561-BD4C-DFD81A22C184.jpeg
Wind screen is coming off too and will be refurbished and buffed out to original clarity when done.
I've not decided yet if I should paint the screen black on the inside because I actually like the screen but wanted some color there instead of buying another screen. Decisions decisions.
ProBolt screws will look good there when finished. 😜
C89C2090-9BE3-4AB8-908E-8F724909C9AB.jpeg
My website πŸ‘†
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

Now for the air box and all the fun with modifying the box etc.
I did purchase a modded air box from someone here on the forums and they did a great job on sealing everything in the box.
I went a bit further with it and looks much better.
Here's my factory box I just opened up.
50265836-F50B-4E1F-95D5-E9ADCA4B072A.jpeg
Oil and some gunk at the bottom as is usual for a factory setup.
I modified the filter and upper box to eliminate the bar in the box for better air flow.
6385CBCD-655A-4B88-B2BD-927291487E8F.jpeg
638300B1-4E60-4FCC-83AB-6DD3BAA999CD.jpeg
I've read that this improves the air flow a bit so why not.
Any opinions on this and if it's a valid mod to do without having to change carb settings?

Here's the modded box I'll be using and I further modded it by removing the small oil catch tank and associated hoses and sealed up the openings as you can see in the pictures.
I'm keeping my factory air box and have another new filter in case I have to go back to stock so we'll see how this works when everything is up and running again.
B029B4EA-4208-47DC-998B-526C7AC6C384.jpeg
769D0EB2-7532-43EE-A19D-A523E94201B4.jpeg
So is this the way to go with the air box for smoother performance of the bike or is stock still the best way to keep on the bike.
I've done a ton of reading on this subject but as is always the case the reviews are mixed.
My website πŸ‘†
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Congratulations on the 50 posts
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Dave100

Post by Dave100 »

Looking good πŸ‘
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You're certainly getting on with it :thumbup:

Chris.
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

50 posts. :Beer1: :Smoke3:

Onward we go as I have only one more day to play bike mechanic until the freightshaker calls me back to the road for a month. :cry:

More progress and some good news that my rear shock from DMr Performance Suspension is done and being shipped. :clap:
I also got the front fork tubes removed so I can proceed to ship these to DMr for some of their magic work on refurbishing them along with the full upgrade to make the bike as it should be.
Now I'm just waiting for my Scott's steering damper but it'll be mid December before they ship. No hurry though as I've got some issues the previous owner kept secret like an oil leak running down the kick stand and more screwed up bike hardware that I was lucky enough to remove without them fully stripping them out. They were pitiful looking.
Front caliper mounting bolts in sh*t shape and missing fairing screws too. :Argue 1: :whatever

Here's how she looked prior to fork removal.
36F63600-F770-4C20-B259-2008EA6D7C6B.jpeg
90B995B9-DFDF-4C3C-B088-7B9CA363C59F.jpeg
I'm working on the pair system removal and decided to mod my own air box as the already modded box won't allow a stock filter to be used. That box came with a K&N but I'm sticking with the factory air filter as there's less worries with having to re-jet etc.
I'll probably have to do this next time I'm home as I'll be pulling the rear wheel tomorrow along with the chain and guard so I can have access to the shock and other areas I'll be tackling next time.
Swing arm pivot bearings will be re-greased while I'm down there and I'll finally begin doing what I originally intended to do which was the mcct's.

Coolant drain tomorrow and all hosing will be removed along with the radiators so access to the acct's can be made easier to get to.

I think it'll take longer putting it all back together again than tearing it down so wish me luck but there's a long way to go still. :Wall:
Last pic as she stands for now.
50224D5E-9AD1-426C-8363-4948037A2897.jpeg
Btw this below is part of the pair valve from my understanding.
It can be removed, yes?
I have the pair plates but wasn't sure If I need to keep this air suction valve or not. Thanks. πŸ‘
830A5AA8-1ECF-428D-846E-59EC7D3B4D85.jpeg
My website πŸ‘†
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Yes you can remove the pair valve and all it's hoses, no worries....

I would also recommend picking up a fork brace as they really do help out with the stock front end :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.