*** IMPORTANT*** Swingarm and linkage bearings servicing***

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
sirch345
Site Admin

*** IMPORTANT*** Swingarm and linkage bearings servicing***

Post by sirch345 »

The swingarm bearings and linkage bearings need regular greasing, even more so if the bike is used all year round :!:

Don't leave it too late :!:

We've already had one bikes linkage split due to a seized bearing and another member has just had the rear end collapse on his bike, fortunately at low speed :!:

Courtesy of Pete.L :wink:
Rear linkage split.jpg
Rear linkage split.jpg (103.64 KiB) Viewed 7859 times

Chris.
pariah

Post by pariah »

wow , good point and really nice pic to show us where. will check mine at weekend.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: *** IMPORTANT*** Swingarm and linkage bearings servicing

Post by Pete.L »

sirch345 wrote:The swingarm bearings and linkage bearings need regular greasing, even more so if the bike is used all year around :!:

Don't leave it too late :!:

We've already had one bikes linkage split due to a seized bearing and another member has just had the rear end collapse on his bike, fortunately at low speed :!:

Courtesy of Pete.L :wink:

Chris.
Just thought I should emphasize the "seized" bit just to reinforce it had nothing to do with my fat A$$ :wink:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Cheers for bringing this to attention,i suppose for most,it's out of sight out of mind :!:
adfski

Post by adfski »

Probably a bit of a stupid question but how do you get grease in those joints?

Gonna change my shock soon so prime opportunity. :D
"military intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense"
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Strip job (non in the Spearmint Rhino sense... :lol:)

Linkages need taking apart and regreasing. If your changing your shocker its best to do it then anyway.
John Head

Post by John Head »

Have these problems only occured on bikes without fairing lowers? I'm guesing that the lowers may offer a little protection from the elements.
Great site. Very useful.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

John Head wrote:Have these problems only occured on bikes without fairing lowers? I'm guesing that the lowers may offer a little protection from the elements.
Great site. Very useful.
More of an issue with bikes without huggers I would have thought. The Blade I bought was Huggerless and the lower linkage gets all the shi*e
Its more of a rear wheel crap displacement issue I think.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

TBH
I doubt having a hugger would make much difference to the bottom linkages as they're 'open' to the elements and / or spray from rear tyre regardless of whether a hugger is fiited or not.

The bottom linkage lies below the level of the swining arm, while huggers tend to sit ontop and merely protect the shock and the undertray from crap.
IMO a very important addition to any bike that doesn't come with one as standard (as most don't).
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

wombles me.. have you ever cleaned that area?

looks neglected...like hell
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

RedStormV wrote:TBH
I doubt having a hugger would make much difference to the bottom linkages as they're 'open' to the elements and / or spray from rear tyre regardless of whether a hugger is fiited or not.

The bottom linkage lies below the level of the swining arm, while huggers tend to sit ontop and merely protect the shock and the undertray from crap.
IMO a very important addition to any bike that doesn't come with one as standard (as most don't).
Got it oin one RedstormV
That was my old linkage and I had a Hugger and fairing lower fitted from almost new.
In my defence, the bike was ridden all year round though and what started off as a little squeak when I sat on it in the mornings disappeared so I didn't think about it again until I found the crack. It shat me up a bit cause I had no idea I was potentially riding a death trap, it still even handled okay 8O

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Just looked at mine,but cos its a grey rainy day,it's quite dark in my garage.
Im sure i could see a sort of line,just in the same place of the crack in pic above,but to be honest ,think it's just a casting mark.
Also noticed how close it is to exhaust pipe, cant be much more than a cm away,possibly the heat from pipe ,especialy when goin slow,or stationary dries the joint out :?:
jonesy

Post by jonesy »

Hi all, it was my bike that had the shock link collapse, thank god at low speed. PLEASE check yours, would hate to read about someone on here getting hurt for the sake of a 2 minute check.
Be safe, Chris.
Not all those who wander are lost...
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Is it a simple matter of taking the nut off, knocking the bolt out, and re-greasing, or is there more to it than that :?:
stevie
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

I agree :!:
To many folk in at my work with missing digits due to accidents,i don't want to be next :!:
I might have a look at doing this at the weekend :)