*** IMPORTANT*** Swingarm and linkage bearings servicing***

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: *** IMPORTANT*** Swingarm and linkage bearings servicing

Post by sirch345 »

I'll second that TP :!: :) Those parts are looking like new :!:

Chris.

PS. I like the idea of the bleed nipple caps too.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Good job, and at a good price, too.

But the smaller end of the dog bone isn't fitted with a greasing point, and it's that one which seems in most danger of collapsing- (see the picture in the first post in this thread for why it's needed) so how does it help?

Granted, the two longer bolts and their bearings are now sorted, though.

Just drilling, tapping and fitting a grease nipple won't do it, as the needle bearing has a complete external cage, and so won't permit grease to reach the rollers.

I'm thinking a modified bolt might be needed, with a small hole drilled from one end and a transverse hole to the bearing rollers connected to it.

Shouldn't weaken the bolt too much, and a grease nipple can then be fitted at the bolt head for lubing.

Or are we still going to dismantle that bolt every so often to regrease the needle bearing?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

Hi All, cheers all for your comments.

Point taken Tony on the lower bearing although on dismantling, that one was still packed with grease and in fine order (believe it or not) and I suspect that it doesn't get so much punishment as the bearing directly above the pipe. Indeed, seems like a manual annual job.

See yis oot there. And show us yer nipples!

Bob

PS. Deleting search history, hmm.... years back I was searching stock photography for a photo to match a "Dogs baldrocks" concept - try searching for that with a straight face!
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
bandsawman

Re:

Post by bandsawman »

I've just tackled mine - and I have to say that I wish I'd have read this thread a bit more thoroughly first...

I spent more time trying to suspend the back of the bike than it took to do the job (not literally, but you get the point) - if only I'd read this:
Beast wrote:I found that by cutting a couple of lenghs off 2x4 the right size and wedging them between top of swing arm and subframe bar (the round one that travels accross under the battery tray) i didnt have to jack the bike up in anyway. ;)
:oops:

Ah well. The holes I made in the plasterboard garage ceiling to pass the straps over the joists aren't that noticable anyway...

I can't believe the condition of some of the linkages shown in this thread.
My bike is totally standard (no hugger or fairing lowers), is 11 years old, has done 34,000 miles, gets used and abused in all weathers (winter salt - yuk, I wash it off in the spring, whether it needs it or not) - but when I stripped the suspension linkage it was in great condition! Ok, one bolt needed a whack with a phosphor-bronze bar and a lump hammer, and the grease was almost completely gone, but generally in great condition. And the cast ally linkage? How do Honda make ally bits that resilient?! Which makes me even more puzzled as to why they did nothing about the CCT problem :?

I'll be building the suspension linking back up tomorrow, then I can rest assured that I won't have to worry about it again for quite some time :)
Going anywhere in a car is a journey, going anywhere on a bike is an adventure!
bandsawman

Post by bandsawman »

Twinpotter - I was just going to ask you if you're a professional photographer as your pics in this thread are awesome!
Then I looked at your profile... that explains it! :)

Yes, very impressive pics :wink:
Going anywhere in a car is a journey, going anywhere on a bike is an adventure!
darkember

Post by darkember »

Anybody know where I would be able to source the 2 major parts described in this thread. I have been trawling http://motorcycle.partsale.co.uk/honda/honda-vtr but cannot find any? Are there any other sites out there that I should be looking at? Thanks
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Bearings and dust seals ordered from http://www.bikebearings.co.uk, plus a new bolt and collar from DS (David Silvers)
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
darkember

Post by darkember »

Damn I hate old age :Argue 1: I have been splitting the aluminum swing arm linkage & have not been able to read the details on the larger single bearing end. Even my son cant read it. The front 2 are 1720's & we believe the solitary one at the other end is 1725. We also believe all the dust shields are the same size. Is anybody here able to confirm this?? Thanks
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Part dimensions are in the description:

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26 ... K_ABSORBER
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

darkember

Post by darkember »

Wicky wrote:Part dimensions are in the description:

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26 ... K_ABSORBER
This is good but it still does not give me the bearing size for item 20. Their part number is no help. Notice item 17 they are all 1720 bearing size.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Searching for the common Honda part no. gives a few references to the size: ID 17, OD 24, W 25

Suspension Linkage Needle Bearing No. 20, part no. 91071-KV3-005 17x24x25

Available from DS: http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/part ... mber_9649/

darkember

Post by darkember »

Wicky wrote:Searching for the common Honda part no. gives a few references to the size: ID 17, OD 24, W 25

Suspension Linkage Needle Bearing No. 20, part no. 91071-KV3-005 17x24x25

Available from DS: http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/part ... mber_9649/
Perfect thanks the number 17/24/25. On the bearings themselves it will be stamped 1725 indicating ID & width. I needed to verify that number but wont be paying DS prices. I use this place instead.

http://shop.marksman-ind.com/ta172425ue ... 3621-p.asp
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Hi guys, I have dismantled my shock linkages to prep for powdercoating. Was planning on putting new bearings & seals in when they are ready.

Am I right in thinking to refresh this assembly...

...I will need x6: No.21, x4: No.20 & x1: No.18...?

This is turning out to be a pricey little job!

Has anyone made a note of aftermarket alternatives? I see above No.20 is avaliable from that bike bearings place.

Sent from my GT-19505 using Telekinesis
Jamie :wave:
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Jamoi wrote:This is turning out to be a pricey little job! ****as per pic below****

Has anyone made a note of aftermarket alternatives? I see above *****in darkember's link****** No.20 is avaliable from that bike bearings place.

Sent from my GT-19505 using Telekinesis
Jamie :wave:
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 34&t=30838

Here you go Jamie, I got these off ebay, not fitted yet as for my fighter, but way cheaper than David Silver :thumbup:
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project