Brake Caliper Upgrade

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
E.Marquez

Re: Brake Caliper Upgrade

Post by E.Marquez »

agentpineapple wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:16 pm has anyone got that chart that showed the different piston sizes and which bike had what calipers, dam photobucket to hell
Most of us have now run into the dreaded photobucket broken link image
546259-photobucket-3rd-party-hosting-broken-image.jpg
546259-photobucket-3rd-party-hosting-broken-image.jpg (14.82 KiB) Viewed 8336 times
The good news is, as long as the image uploader has not deleted or moved the image location from photobucket it is still viewable by all.

And depending on your computer settings, once viewed directly may actually load in the browser as "normal" once you relaod the page, though that has been hit or miss for me.
So if you see the PB broken link 3rd party hosting image, grab the image URL, past it in a new window and it should be viewable.
See short vid below

https://www.screencast.com/t/qb9kfkTZp7

Erik
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks Erik for that :thumbup:

Your suggestion has been helpful to a degree, along with some of the pic's I had saved luckily from this thread,

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I was bidding on the 6-pot Billet calipers on fleabay but they went too rich for me. Back to searching for 'Blade/SP1/CBR calipers.
Last edited by freeridenick on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

freeridenick wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:01 pm I was bidding on the 6-pot Billet calipers on fleabay but they went to rich for me. Back to searching for 'Blade/SP1/CBR calipers.
I was watching them. I appreciate there aren't many around but it just seemed like a lot of money.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

StormyRob wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:02 pm
freeridenick wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:01 pm I was bidding on the 6-pot Billet calipers on fleabay but they went to rich for me. Back to searching for 'Blade/SP1/CBR calipers.
I was watching them. I appreciate there aren't many around but it just seemed like a lot of money.
You wasn't alone on that Rob
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

freeridenick wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:01 pm I was bidding on the 6-pot Billet calipers on fleabay but they went too rich for me. Back to searching for 'Blade/SP1/CBR calipers.
Especially when Honda alternatives come up for less than half what they went for and I saw Tokico 6-pots for forty quid yesterday.
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

alanfjones1411 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:31 pm
You wasn't alone on that Rob
I live a few miles away .... i was watching all of is VTR stuff...150k miles bike, job lot of spares and the billet 6 calipers. The lot went for about £1100. I know i could make some good money back but seemed a big spend on a lot of stuff that didnt work
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

freeridenick wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:38 am Especially when Honda alternatives come up for less than half what they went for and I saw Tokico 6-pots for forty quid yesterday.
i'm no expert, but I doubt tokico 6-pots are not even in the same ball park as billet 6-pots. oh and personally I wouldn't have bought any of those parts. most of them looked knackered and uncared for.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

freeridenick wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:01 pm I was bidding on the 6-pot Billet calipers on fleabay but they went too rich for me. Back to searching for 'Blade/SP1/CBR calipers.
best bet is to buy them from the usa, look for a seller in a dry state. even with shipping and tax, they're still cheaper.

all in £80.50
that includes shipping and import duty
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CBR-Nissi ... r#shpCntId

or these at £105 all in
comes with master as well
http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-02-03-04-05- ... r#shpCntId
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Tokico 6-pots do not have a very good reputation; in fact many owners of bikes having them as OEM bits replaced them with Nissin 4-pots from Hondas of the day...
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

mik_str wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:00 am Tokico 6-pots do not have a very good reputation; in fact many owners of bikes having them as OEM bits replaced them with Nissin 4-pots from Hondas of the day...
Exactly, the reason you can find them cheap over here is no one that had them stock wanted them....I bought a set for $40 and sold them a few years later for $80 having rebuilt them completely ..
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Cheers for the links AP and the feedback on Tokico calipers. I know they're not great but can't be £140 worse...

Anyway I'm following the 4-pot route as others have. Question. Which would folks go for, clean SP1s or rather messier 600F ones? The 600F ones are about half the price. SP
CBR
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

How about SP2?
I have a good SP2 master cylinder for sale, all you need is the calipers......
Rc51 calipers from an SP2 should be easy enough to find.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:28 pm How about SP2?
the sp2 master is considered to be better than the sp1, as Honda reduced the size from 19 to 17.5, giving better feel, I used to run the complete sp2 setup and was more than happy with it... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:28 pm How about SP2?
I believe SP2 calipers are the same on early CBR600RR, and CBR954 for sure, there should some for sale.