How to balance your carbs

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
VTRDark

Re: How to balance your carbs

Post by VTRDark »

Or with the three left over brass adapters from a pack of four use two of them, and put an outer cap over the top, which can also be purchased from carbtune. Just glue the threaded part of the brass adapter into the end of the hose. It makes it real easy then to connect up a carb syncing/carbtune tool as the hoses will connect straight up from the tool.

On my carbtune I have hoses which have been cut with a section of smaller pipe inserted in-between which causes a venturi effect and stabilises the flow so the reading does not fluctuate so much. Otherwise you will find you have to pinch the hoses.

I ran my vacuum take off's conveniently behind my battery.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
darkember

Post by darkember »

Al where did you pickup that sych device from or did you make it? If you did build it could you give an explanation on how to replicate it.

Many thanks Wil
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
darkember

Post by darkember »

Cheers M8 :thumbup:
reggy5

Post by reggy5 »

hi what are the symtoms of unbalanced carbs? because my bike is running like a bag of shite :|
vtr 1000 firestorm
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

reggy5 wrote:hi what are the symtoms of unbalanced carbs? because my bike is running like a bag of shite :|
Throttle response is bad - feels like it pulls on one then two cylinders .
Loss idle rough and revs too
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

reggy5 wrote:hi what are the symtoms of unbalanced carbs? because my bike is running like a bag of shite :|
Yeah, but from what you've posted, since you changed a CCT. If it was running ok before, it's not because the carbs are unbalanced.

Balancing them can't hurt, though.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Rob Boaden

Post by Rob Boaden »

Hi, that is ace. Was very nervous about doing this but going to give it a go. Just brought my second Firestorm as the first one got stollen a couple of years ago and the insurance did not pay up. Thanks again for the excellent write up. :D
shoarmadude

Post by shoarmadude »

Today ive balanced my carbs with the same tool.
Easy to use and to install.

The lower ball is iddling 5mm left and right from the center, so i think its pretty good now.
But im not realy satisfied with the final result, so im going to take another shot at it cause i think it can be better.

Heres a link from where ive got the tool from :thumbup:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-MOT ... OU:NL:3160

Thanks for the how-to. :wave:
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

hi
are these any good ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Ca ... 333wt_1046

because if i spend £23 on a piece of hose my missus will think i have gone mad and i think she may go mad :wtf: :Argue:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-MOT ... 353wt_1046
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Being a clumsy sod, i wouldn't want to keep moving my tank etc, could you make a small "snap tank" with 2 outlets to feed fuel to the cards instead? and maybe hang that up out of the way, or do you need more connections on the tank?
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

BTT, using an auxiliary tank is normal practice in garages and you can buy or make some thing along the lines you described that would work just fine
AMcQ
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

AMCQ46 wrote:BTT, using an auxiliary tank is normal practice in garages and you can buy or make some thing along the lines you described that would work just fine

bits scorched today! i have got a manometer as well that measures mbar, I've been told that may work too!
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

cybercarl wrote:Or with the three left over brass adapters from a pack of four use two of them, and put an outer cap over the top, which can also be purchased from carbtune. Just glue the threaded part of the brass adapter into the end of the hose. It makes it real easy then to connect up a carb syncing/carbtune tool as the hoses will connect straight up from the tool.

On my carbtune I have hoses which have been cut with a section of smaller pipe inserted in-between which causes a venturi effect and stabilises the flow so the reading does not fluctuate so much. Otherwise you will find you have to pinch the hoses.

I ran my vacuum take off's conveniently behind my battery.

been in 2wheel junkie today to get some gauges
and love the idea of coming through where the battery is
can i fit all the pipe work, put the bike back together then balance the carbs
and then in the future seat off,connect gauges,check and seat back on :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yep that's exactly what I do, just pull the end caps off to reveal the the brass adapters. I use a Carbtune gauge with mine so attach the Carbtune lines which have a restrictor in them to smooth the flow to the gauge (some gauges require this for an accurate reading) and then attach them to the brass adapters under my seat.

==============================Enter the Darkside