CCT (Cam Chain Tensioner) Fail Safe Mod. (aka Stopper Mod)

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
johnfish

Re: CCT (Cam Chain Tensioner) Fail Safe Mod. (aka Stopper Mo

Post by johnfish »

Hi all,

Sorry for sounding thick, but I don't get what you mean by "turn the worm in the rear CCT clockwise 1/4 of a turn and lock off". I've made the key and it fits down the slot in the CCT, but I'm worried about getting it wrong...! Can you clarify exactly what you mean by 'lock off'?

Many thanks
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You're not being thick by asking, better to ask first than after :thumbup:

If you look at the end of the CCT body with the end bolt and sealing washer removed, you will see four cut-outs (for the want of a better word), these are set at every 90 degrees around the thread for that bolt. Take a look and you'll see what I mean. The locking key shoulders (as marked by the red arrows in the photo below) should drop down into these cut-outs when you have turned it clockwise 1/4 of a turn, that's what I mean about locking it off, once you have the key in the position you want, by allowing it to drop down into those cut-outs will lock the worm/screw in place. (NOTE instructions show different amounts for front and rear CCT). If the slots don't line up exactly just turn the locking key a little more until they do.

Anything else you're not sure about then get back to us, good luck,

Chris.

johnfish

Post by johnfish »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply, it was really easy in the end! I have successfully completed the stopper mod, now for the rear wheel bearings then MOT!

J
kitsun

Post by kitsun »

Dear All

For those who have done the stopper mod, are there any cases out there of the CCT giving way and being saved by the stopper? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Kit
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Stopper mod allowed ToynM to limp home after a Storm gathering up in Essex a few years back. I believe he know has manual CCTs fitted
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The stopper does work and has saved bikes form catastrophic destruction. It happened to Sirch last year.....saved his bike and all that needed replacing was the CCT along with a new stopper. So in answer to your question Yes, many cases. Stop Mod has been proven to work :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:The stopper does work and has saved bikes form catastrophic destruction. It happened to Sirch last year.....saved his bike and all that needed replacing was the CCT along with a new stopper. So in answer to your question Yes, many cases. Stop Mod has been proven to work :thumbup:

WOW I'm impressed you remembered that Carl :clap:

It also saved me from having to call out the break down services, and a wait for them as I could ride the bike home. Admittedly the engine was rather rattly from the failed front CCT spring and I was glad to get back home.

Some have asked how would you know if a CCT had failed with the Stopper Mod, my answer is you'll know aright :) just read the previous sentence.

Chris.
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

Does it matter what sort of metal you use for the rod? I'm guessing anything other than soldering wire would be fine!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I would use steel, not aluminium as it's softer. I had made mine in aluminium, but when that front one went, on inspection after the 15 or so miles ride back home, I could see it had taken a beating. Not really a problem but steel would have held up better.

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I agree. I have been using hollow aluminium rod, and when I stripped down a CCT that had been in the engine for a year there was an extra 3/4 of a turn of free play caused by wear under vibration. the hollow tube was the main problem as this is too close to the diameter of the face inside the plunger and this allowed fast wear, but going forwards I now use solid steel rod.
AMcQ
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

Perfect, thanks guys. Possibly tackling this tonight then, looks like the longest bit is making up that stopper key.
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

Possible numpty question... Why do you have to remove the spark plugs to set TDC? I don't have a socket to fit and the plug tool isn't in my kit :(
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

TravisZack wrote:Possible numpty question... Why do you have to remove the spark plugs to set TDC? I don't have a socket to fit and the plug tool isn't in my kit :(
You don't HAVE to, but helps you to turn the engine over by hand as it stops the compression inside the barrel :thumbup:

Might be worth getting a plug socket/spanner for the future.
Jamie :wave:
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

Finally did it this morning, thanks a lot for the guide, was a relative breeze for my first time working on this bike.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Well done. :clap: :clap: It's not too difficult is it. It's the not knowing or understanding that worries people. But then if it's not done your gonna worry about a failure. :lol:

Now get out and enjoy the bike and sunshine. :Bike:

==============================Enter the Darkside