CCT (Cam Chain Tensioner) Fail Safe Mod. (aka Stopper Mod)

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
AMCQ46

Re: CCT (Cam Chain Tensioner) Fail Safe Mod. (aka Stopper Mo

Post by AMCQ46 »

mr.john.coates wrote:My contribution to this after just doing it:

1 - The dimensions of the locking tool in the Haynes manual are wrong I think. Make the tang (the business end) 3mm shorter else it won't lock. The proper dimensions are in the Honda workshop guide available on the forum.

2 - The stopper can be made from 8mm diameter bar - I used the plain part of an M8 bolt shank cut down. They will work out at about 11mm long each.

3 - You need a 2mm pin punch to get the roll pins out. Not having one I used the shank off an old 2mm drill ground off square.

4 - Do take the generator access plug out first - if you can't remove this easily you can waste hours faffing with it. Accept it'll get ruined and plan for replacing it.

Mr. J
well done in completing the stopper :thumbup:

just a comment for those following incase they can see a potential shortcut and do theirs at 11mm.........depending on your engine the stopper length is going to vary, I have seen them as small as 8mm long and as lond as 12, so dont think 1 size fits all. You have to measure each one and make the stopper to suit
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: just a comment for those following incase they can see a potential shortcut and do theirs at 11mm.........depending on your engine the stopper length is going to vary, I have seen them as small as 8mm long and as long as 12, so don't think 1 size fits all. You have to measure each one and make the stopper to suit
A very good point AMcQ just in case anyone did think that, I put the difference in stopper length down to cam chain stretch.

Well done in completing the job successfully Mr John Coates :clap: and thanks for your input,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

A pop rivet stem works well as a punch.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

can anyone tell me the size of bolt i would need for the stopper mod??????
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It is an 8mm M8 bolt chopped down that is needed mate. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

cybercarl wrote:It is an 8mm M8 bolt chopped down that is needed mate. :thumbup:

i'll sort some out.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

hi if i buy manual adjusters how do i fit them? Do i need to get the engine in the correct position TDC etc any help would be much appreciated. regards Paul.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yes the timing has to be set to TDC. :thumbup:

With regards to fitting and setting the timing read through this thoroughly http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8326

Your options of various manual tensioners http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 16&t=22720

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:Yes the timing has to be set to TDC. :thumbup:

With regards to fitting and setting the timing read through this thoroughly http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8326

Your options of various manual tensioners http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 16&t=22720

Carl is right the valve timing does need to be at TDC, but it must be on the compression stroke :!:

Follow the links he has posted and you should be fine. Anything you're not sure about just post on here :thumbup:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

To complete the thread here is the instructions to help you make the key to lock the standard CCT

AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Or purchase one from here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cam-timing-ch ... 4170cadaad
Expensive for what it is :eek2

frudd28

Post by frudd28 »

Just done this mod today was a breeze following this guide thanks !!! Not started bike yet as in pieces at mo doin winter maintenance but turned over by hand several times and all seems good so sure wont be a prob
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

ive just fitted manual CCT,s isnt that just easier? i followed the help on the forum and they have got it right and it was easy to follow. :D
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
frudd28

Post by frudd28 »

well mod certainly wasn't hard to do
was intending on fitting manuals but asked roas over christmas for a set when has some ready but guess he has a long list so i went for mod option for now
i got bike built back up at weekend(well most of it ) and had it started and all is well :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

frudd28 wrote:Just done this mod today was a breeze following this guide thanks !!! Not started bike yet as in pieces at mo doin winter maintenance but turned over by hand several times and all seems good so sure wont be a prob
Frudd28, good to know all went well, even better now you've fired the bike up :clap:

bigtwinthing wrote:ive just fitted manual CCT,s isnt that just easier? i followed the help on the forum and they have got it right and it was easy to follow. :D
BTT, it's not really easier to fit manual CCT's, as you have to set them manually to get the correct tension on the cam chains, unlike the Stopper Mod.

Chris.