VFR bar conversion

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Stratman

VFR bar conversion

Post by Stratman »

I thought I would take some pics and detail what I did/needed to do the job:-

First, make sure you put duct tape on the top of the fairing to protect them

Remove the existing clip ons and switch gear etc

You will need to re-drill the switchgear holes in the VFR bars10mm further in than the existing ones and drill a locating hole for the throttle lug. It is fairly soft alloy so a hand drill was enough

Then comes the horrible moment. Masking tape on the fairing of your baby ready to cut her with the dremel

After cutting and before filing smooth and sanding with a sanding block

The throttle cables just needed the metal guides loosening and repositioning at the right angle. Didn't need any longer ones and brake/clutch lines fine. Loosened the horn bolt and swung the horn a bit more to the nearside and that gave enough slack

Finished - a bit more smoothing and sanding to do and need to adapt the bar ends for the different internal threads in the VFR bars

All in all, a couple of hours and I will see if they make much difference. They don't catch either the fairing or the tank.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

sirch345
Site Admin

Re: VFR bar conversion

Post by sirch345 »

Nice job Paul :thumbup: I hope you're happy with the VFR bars now after all your efforts.

Chris.

PS. Did you fit the white speedo face yourself :?: if so how hard of a job was it :?:
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Chris, when I first got the bike the speedo was in kph (German import) so I got it recalibrated by Scorpio electronics in King's Lynn and asked them for a white face, so it's been on there for about 11 years now! I think it looks much better IMHO.

First impressions for the bars (though off to Wales tomorrow with some buddies for a long weekend) are that they are not vastly higher but just enough to take a bit of the "kink" out of my neck. Make countersteering that bit easier too. :D

simo

Post by simo »

Interesting, I wonder if Bar Raisers would be as good ? Have to give it some thought for next season as I'm looking for a bit more comfort.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

simo wrote:Interesting, I wonder if Bar Raisers would be as good ? Have to give it some thought for next season as I'm looking for a bit more comfort.
No, they aren't as high or as straight, which is why you need to trim the fairing with the VFR ones.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Stratman wrote:Chris, when I first got the bike the speedo was in kph (German import) so I got it recalibrated by Scorpio electronics in King's Lynn and asked them for a white face, so it's been on there for about 11 years now! I think it looks much better IMHO.

First impressions for the bars (though off to Wales tomorrow with some buddies for a long weekend) are that they are not vastly higher but just enough to take a bit of the "kink" out of my neck. Make countersteering that bit easier too. :D
Thanks Paul for the info on the white speedo face :) I also think it looks very good, as it matches up with the other dials 8)

The long weekend away should be a good test for the new VFR bars,

Chris.
Sandyback

Post by Sandyback »

Thanks for this, thinking of doing the same mod.....but can someone tell me why I can't see the photos?
Need to see how much dremmelling is required :(
Jester666

Post by Jester666 »

Sandyback wrote:Thanks for this, thinking of doing the same mod.....but can someone tell me why I can't see the photos?
Same here.
Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat!
Silver 1998 'Storm! That keeps trying to kill me! And is leaving me soon! :(
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jester666 wrote:
Sandyback wrote:Thanks for this, thinking of doing the same mod.....but can someone tell me why I can't see the photos?
Same here.
Iirc Paul (Stratman) had the photo's on his own site, so may be his site is down. You could send him a pm to find out if they are still available, that is if it's not to late by now,

Chris.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Jester666 wrote:
Same here.
if you look at my old intro thread theres pics of how much i trimmed off mine.
in fact i have a trimmed side in the garage - brb

untrimmed fairing.... get some masking tape or use a pencil or felt pen and from under the mirror mount (near the crack lol) follow the line and trim off the lobe...

this has got edging trim on it but you get the idea... with a bit of care you can get it nice and neat and it doesnt look odd. looks a bit wobbly from that angle but it isnt lol, was hard to climb over everything to get a pic lol...
all you need to do is mark from under the mirrors following the contour line and the round off the corner again.
takes no more than a hour to do..
you will need to grind or sand the inside edge as well cos its thicker under the fairing mounts and again at the edge near the ear lobe bit.

looks a lot clearer (and neater) in my old pic when it was er... blue

or... you could just change the master cylinders then they dont touch the fairing on full lock, then you dont need to trim it at all
these are a matching set off my old honda cbx750 - and improved the braking and clutch feel.

you can see a bit clearer in my old thread in intros... :Beer Popcorn:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
frudd28

Post by frudd28 »

Stratman wrote:I thought I would take some pics and detail what I did/needed to do the job:-

First, make sure you put duct tape on the top of the fairing to protect them

Remove the existing clip ons and switch gear etc

You will need to re-drill the switchgear holes in the VFR bars10mm further in than the existing ones and drill a locating hole for the throttle lug. It is fairly soft alloy so a hand drill was enough

Then comes the horrible moment. Masking tape on the fairing of your baby ready to cut her with the dremel

After cutting and before filing smooth and sanding with a sanding block

The throttle cables just needed the metal guides loosening and repositioning at the right angle. Didn't need any longer ones and brake/clutch lines fine. Loosened the horn bolt and swung the horn a bit more to the nearside and that gave enough slack

Finished - a bit more smoothing and sanding to do and need to adapt the bar ends for the different internal threads in the VFR bars

All in all, a couple of hours and I will see if they make much difference. They don't catch either the fairing or the tank.
hi stratman what did you do about fitting bar ends? did you modify originals and drill hole for larger diameter screw or did you get different ones? just got some bars but didn't realise bar ends was different :(
how are you finding the new bars are they a lot better? regards nick
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I converted the original bar ends - I am really pleased with the conversion and wouldn't want it back to the original. Along with the larger rear sprocket, this is a good mod.

monga

Post by monga »

very nice modification, think I am gonna do this, thank you
7057vtr

Post by 7057vtr »

I followed this link and was a great help. :D
dusty1969

Post by dusty1969 »

hi stratman, what size sprocket did you fit to rear end and what difference did it make? :thumbup: