Starter motor problems.

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Triad

Re: Starter motor problems.

Post by Triad »

Yeah, I'm now sure Tony's right and my mechanic's wrong... the funny (but not funny) part is that I already ordered the starter clutch for £50 :cry: 'cause the mechanic was pretty sure of his diagnosis... :Ball Kick:
I can't contact Tony due to being a newbie on the forum. Tomorrow I'll check with my mechanic, but pretty sure now he caused me a £50 damage and wasted my afternoon with his test. Me? At least I'm absolutely NOT into this stuff so if I make a dumb mistake I can be forgiven. :sad2
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Triad wrote:Yeah, I'm now sure Tony's right and my mechanic's wrong... the funny (but not funny) part is that I already ordered the starter clutch for £50 :cry: 'cause the mechanic was pretty sure of his diagnosis... :Ball Kick:
I can't contact Tony due to being a newbie on the forum. Tomorrow I'll check with my mechanic, but pretty sure now he caused me a £50 damage and wasted my afternoon with his test. Me? At least I'm absolutely NOT into this stuff so if I make a dumb mistake I can be forgiven. :sad2
Yep. As long as I can buy your bike for £300.

PM'd so that you can contact me re the transfer gears.
If you mechanic has fitted a part and it doesn't fix the problem, tell him/her to put your one back and not charge you.
He/she can't charge you for changing the wrong bit, surely?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Triad

Post by Triad »

Nope, sorry. Even if I have to run and drag the damn thing to turn the engine on :beer:
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Only £50? that would just be the sprag bearing itself then. Lucky you can buy that separately, on the Suzuki it's the whole unit at £235.

If he hasn't fitted the new sprag bearing and you haven't paid for it then I would get him to sort the transfer gears first and check again, then leave him with the cost of the new bearing.

Then if I had any more issues I would take it to a different mechanic cause you would know straight away if it was the sprag bearing that had gone.

Failing that I would then tell you to sell it to me for £350 :biggrin :P with the new sprag bearing
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
Triad

Post by Triad »

LOL even if I wanted to sell it for that amount, remember that I'm in Italy! :whatever
He's a friend. Usually works on cars but he's the only honest mechanic 'round here. Bike mechanics here are a bad breed, trust me. Only had bad experiences.
If this guy makes a mistake it's not 'cause he wants to rip you off, at least.
I already paid for the part but it's on ebay, I GUESS I could be able to back off the deal if I cover the ebay fees (only a few Euros).
Found the gears in the USA only:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-VTR1000F- ... zp&vxp=mtr

Tomorrow I'll go back to the mechanic's workshop to dismount those b8stard gears and find a temporary solution (like welding them together) waiting to find new ones locally (if possible).
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

By the way, if I happen to be wrong, I'll send you a complete good secondhand sprag clutch for nothing.

But I'm not..... :wink:
Triad

Post by Triad »

Wanna laugh? It was the damn gear, yeah. But it already had the "pin mod" done before! :eek2
Looks like the old pin got worn and couldn't lock the gear in place... my mechanic replaced it, changed the oil and now the bike is back. :biggrin
Of course I still have to deal with the ebay seller I ordered the starter clutch from... :think:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Glad you're back on the road :thumbup: , but I can't recommend mechanically locking the gears together on their shaft, either by pinning or welding.
The torque release design is there to prevent gear teeth being stripped. Bits of gear tooth floating around in an engine is never good news, and could wreck the engine.
Triad

Post by Triad »

Yeah but it's been like this for years and years now... and all the gears and the starter clutch are still in great conditions. Well, fingers crossed! :roll:
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Triad wrote:Wanna laugh? It was the damn gear, yeah. But it already had the "pin mod" done before! :eek2
Looks like the old pin got worn and couldn't lock the gear in place... my mechanic replaced it, changed the oil and now the bike is back. :biggrin
Of course I still have to deal with the ebay seller I ordered the starter clutch from... :think:

I read that as your mechanic replaced the gears but re-read it as he has replaced the pin? I would get new gears
Triad

Post by Triad »

Yeah, when I told him that the problem was one of the small gears he removed them and we found they were already modified with the "pin mod". For years and years, I think.
I owned the bike for 1 year and half, the previous owner only replaced oil and filter so the mod must have been performed by the guy who added the decent rear shock and all the small upgrades.
I think the gear got worn years ago, probably at 20k km or so (the bike now has 43k km).
jimeowen

Post by jimeowen »

I just stripped my flywheel and reduction gears.
I'm getting the gears welded as a cheap option.
Put it all back together soon so fingers crossed :>)
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

jimeowen wrote:I just stripped my flywheel and reduction gears.
I'm getting the gears welded as a cheap option.
Put it all back together soon so fingers crossed :>)
Is it not just as cheap to buy 2nd hand working gears?
jimeowen

Post by jimeowen »

Hi Phoenix, well I wasn't sure this would actually be the problem.

Ended up that it was, so now I have the experience of stripping it down I could always install a working gear set.

I'm in Australia and welded the gears together for $50. If you know where I can get some delivered for that price please let me know.

I started it tonight and it worked perfectly......very happy now !
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

I was t aware you were in Australia, and don't know what the conversion rate is (probably £10 to the $ now) Have you not checked Aus eBay or similar?