How to fit stick coils

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
scubadog

Re: How to fit stick coils

Post by scubadog »

Cheers matey, that's nice and clear! Seems as though CBR1000 units fit too, judging by other posts. I'll look out for 03 stick coils for that too as they may well be the same.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

The cbr1000 are longer .
They still work as good but stick out from the rocker cover
TonyW650

Post by TonyW650 »

will ones off a cbr600 rr from 03-06 fir ok?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

TonyW650 wrote:will ones off a cbr600 rr from 03-06 fir ok?
yep
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

This is the first time I've seen this mod and personally think it is a bad move. I had these "stick" coils on my Triumph TT600 and they were a major weak point. Over time they can break down and then corrode which means that the coil expands and gets stuck which can be a nightmare to remove.

Any gains that will be reported will be down to the close coupling of the coil and the plug meaning minimal electrical losses. Something you can minimise by having decent HT leads. I can't remember if the HT leads on the Firestorm are bonded to the coils. Like most things they will deteriorate with age and use so by now you will have losses. The gains seen by replacing with the stick coils should be the same as replacing the original parts with new ones.

Al.
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

I guess there's a couple of reasons for me to make the change. Firstly, all the mods I've made to my Firestorm fighter have created a pretty busy space between the frame and airbox, so removing the old coils and HT leads will free up some of that space. Doesn't sound like much but when most of the wiring is tucked behind the headstock a little bit of space gain will actually help. Secondly, I know stick coils are very widely used on bikes and cars nowadays so I kinda believe that if they work in so many applications they're going to be OK with the Firestorm. To be honest, I would expect that, had the Storm continued in production, Honda would've changed them at some point anyway as they're used on so many other models.
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

firestorm_al wrote:This is the first time I've seen this mod and personally think it is a bad move. I had these "stick" coils on my Triumph TT600 and they were a major weak point. Over time they can break down and then corrode which means that the coil expands and gets stuck which can be a nightmare to remove.

Any gains that will be reported will be down to the close coupling of the coil and the plug meaning minimal electrical losses. Something you can minimise by having decent HT leads. I can't remember if the HT leads on the Firestorm are bonded to the coils. Like most things they will deteriorate with age and use so by now you will have losses. The gains seen by replacing with the stick coils should be the same as replacing the original parts with new ones.

Al.
Old thread, and old post... But... Since I'm the guy on the Superhawk Forum posting the 2 bhp difference I'll chime in anyways...

It shoud be noted that in that very same post, a long time ago, I stated that while I consistently measured ~2bhp difference between these and my stock one's I also said I attributed it to the stock being 13 year old, and like more than a little tired, saying I was fairly sure I'd see the exact same thing with new OEM replacements... I just felt that part got left out at the beginning of this thread...

On the stock parts the HT leads are bonded, so you either replace the whole coil, or nothing...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
andrewmagas

Post by andrewmagas »

i am interested in two of these.
pm me if anyone has
emmettvtr1000

Post by emmettvtr1000 »

hey there is no pics l :D need more info
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Hope this helps took me ages to find these old pics
Attachments
C8EA7E72-C57E-4371-8AAA-6D725FA7B53A.jpeg
7A170205-EB70-45FE-AB3B-B14C075C7361.jpeg
5146ED98-C11D-44ED-BF02-3A5EC59B9DC9.jpeg
Mototrick

Post by Mototrick »

I fancied having a crack at this, being as the subject popped up recently, plus the fact i'm bored waiting to get the bike out again :lol:
CBR600rr coils are very pricey on eBay at the moment. I can't see any for less than £20ea delivered, plus the sub-loom for the connectors.
They are half the price in the USA, so much so it's cheaper to get them from the USA, including the shipping!

Project might have to wait a little longer.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

lloydie wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:24 am Hope this helps took me ages to find these old pics
Good man Lloydie for finding the photo's :thumbup:

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

What have folks used to glue the VTR rubber seal to the CBR coil body? I never bothered but it does wiggle a bit more than I'd like. It would be better to keep water away from the plug too.
Mototrick

Post by Mototrick »

Would something like an Araldite product work?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I'd use a heat tolerant silicon, that's waterproof and sticks like glue*.

*By that, I don't mean that straight wooden items are fond of glue, although they might be- I simply don't know, and I can't think of any way to test that possibility.

No, I simply meant that silicon can be used as a form of glue.

I think sticks might prefer sh1t-to-a-blanket, if they have a choice, based on apocryphal wisdom, and evidentially supported by the old wives section of Wikipedia**.

** Wikipedia cannot always be trusted empirically, for example, it purports that the Pope sh1ts in the woods, but there may be a mixed metaphor responsible for that.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.