How to fit stick coils

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
darrenmartin

Re: How to fit stick coils

Post by darrenmartin »

And it really is easy to do. I'm no mechanic and I picked up a soldering kit from Lidl for, I think it was £16 and a set of ring spanners for £6. :thumbup:
Like Riding Thunder and Lightning
seb421

Post by seb421 »

darrenmartin wrote:And it really is easy to do. I'm no mechanic and I picked up a soldering kit from Lidl for, I think it was £16 and a set of ring spanners for £6. :thumbup:
I wasn't that confident in my own skills as I've never done it, benny made mine up glad he did as i would have never done them as well as him, picked up lots of tips watching the way he did it so would be confident to have ago my self with something in future, can definitely notice a difference with the stuff he did on the day :thumbup:
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

Sounds a plan BVG. No issue sourcing them, and m sure we can arrange something on pickup.

I'll get a set ordered next week which should give me a chance to get up on the gibbons.

Which brings me to kevl last reply. Thanks kindly for some.sourcing their, but i to be sure I wouldn't need the loom for the 600rr kiddies?

Is their any benefit in the thou rr units?
edds11

Post by edds11 »

Eclectic,,,,, I bet you will, how else to you get the plugs for the end of the stick's...why do you think Kev put them up.....as a reminder
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

The connectors for the coils are the same on the 1000 as the 600 mate, so the cheaper option is the best. As I said there are a few on the Superhawk forum who have used the cbr1000rr coils so they should be ok.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
darrenmartin

Post by darrenmartin »

:thumbup: thought id better put me stick coils up to prove that i have actually done the mod :P well chuffed :clap: ImageImage Thanks to every 1 who guided me through this mod :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Fitted some to Marty's Storm at todays GrainStorm WS day, and the only hiccup is that they wobble about so need a block of closed-cell foam or similar to prevent this.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

tony.mon wrote:Fitted some to Marty's Storm at todays GrainStorm WS day, and the only hiccup is that they wobble about so need a block of closed-cell foam or similar to prevent this.
ones that Benny did for me fit well snug and don't move at all :)

ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

It's that top ring on the old seal, reshaped and fitted to the new stick coil, that stops it wobbling, that's how I did mine and they are solid.[*]
AMcQ
darrenmartin

Post by darrenmartin »

Same here AMCQ. I followed your lead (so to speak) on the cutting of the VTR caps and mine fit super snug, so thanks for that. All in all a top job made realy easy by the simple too follow instruction's on the forum. Many thank's yet again guy's :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I'll let Marty have some spare ones and he can chop them up himself.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

You can use the CBR rubber ends that come with the coils to act as stabilisers. Gut them and slide them about 3/4 of the way up the body of the coil. They then press into the recess of the rocker cover. Supports them and holds them still.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Kev L wrote:You can use the CBR rubber ends that come with the coils to act as stabilisers. Gut them and slide them about 3/4 of the way up the body of the coil. They then press into the recess of the rocker cover. Supports them and holds them still.
Good tip, I still have a few of those as well.
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

Guys, I've been trying to find out about fitting stick coils to a Storm, so glad to find this thread. A couple of questions...

1. Is there a list of known compatible stick coils to look for? CBR600, CBR1000? Years?
2. lloydiecbr says the two wires from the stick coil connectors are soldered to the two wires on the Storm loom (the ones that go to the low tension connectors on the coils). Which wire goes to which? It SHOULD make a difference, as one wire on each LT side comes from the ignition converter unit while the other goes to earth, but no one's mentioned that. Is it as simple as just connecting them up either way around?

Can anyone clarify please?

Ta
Scoob
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

scubadog wrote:Guys, I've been trying to find out about fitting stick coils to a Storm, so glad to find this thread. A couple of questions...

1. Is there a list of known compatible stick coils to look for? CBR600, CBR1000? Years?
2. lloydiecbr says the two wires from the stick coil connectors are soldered to the two wires on the Storm loom (the ones that go to the low tension connectors on the coils). Which wire goes to which? It SHOULD make a difference, as one wire on each LT side comes from the ignition converter unit while the other goes to earth, but no one's mentioned that. Is it as simple as just connecting them up either way around?

Can anyone clarify please?

Ta
Scoob
You want cbr600rr 2003 coils
I've not found any others that fit better tbh
But if someone does I can update it .
the wiring is
Green earth on the vtr
Black earth on the cbr coil loom
The other colours are live
Easy :-)