Kreiger, APE, Bazza and Ade Whitmarsh's CCT's

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
seb421

Re: Kreiger, APE and Bazza CCT's

Post by seb421 »

Boubepo wrote:Hi Guys,

Thanks for the information, it's very helpful.

I only joined yesterday but I can already see this is a very well run and friendly/helpful site.

Anyway I'm a bit of an imposture because I don't have a VTR [yet] I'm at the negotiation stage for a black 97 with 15 k
[Should also mention I live in Spain]

I have a few bikes, mostly ILF Honda's and a Speed Triple, I'm 48 and despite never being without a bike since I was 12, I have never owned a V twin, I've always admired the VTR for it's style, good looks, it's uniqueness and sound!

So here I am, on the threshold of VTR ownership and it's reassuring that a site and people like this exist, as despite my love and lifetime with bikes, my mechanical knowledge is basic and my mechanical abilities are somewhere between a 6 year old human and a 50 year old Silver Back Gorilla.

So with the CCT's I understand the potential problem of the standard ones failing and the need to replace them but for the moment I can't get my head around what the finished product looks like? several of you have mentioned some models of CCT's look better than others but how much of this component is on display and how visible is it?

If anyone has a photo or a link, of fitted CCT's I would be really grateful.

Thanks
Bou
APE's

ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

This is one of Rider on a Storm (member on here) manual cct's -

:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

And here's a front one. Can be seen clearly with carbs off. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Boubepo

Post by Boubepo »

Thanks Seb, Carl & Kev for the photos, they are just what I was looking for - very much appreciated.

I understand the original CCT's were not considered up to the job. The bike I'm looking at has only done 15k, although replacement is something I will want to do at some point, how common was this failure? After buying the bike and getting it shipped out here [Spain] I would rather wait perhaps another 12 months, perhaps another 10k - Or is this problem so common, waiting would be unwise?

As I mentioned before, I'm not blessed with a huge amount of mechanical skills, so I reckon I would be out of my depth fitting these myself, what would be the approx. time/hours a trained mechanic would take to replace them?

I know I'm being a bit cheeky as I'm guessing this next question is probably discussed on another thread but - What are the rules for adjustment, once the manual CCT'S are fitted?

Many thanks
Bou
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

how common was this failure? After buying the bike and getting it shipped out here [Spain] I would rather wait perhaps another 12 months, perhaps another 10k - Or is this problem so common, waiting would be unwise?
The problem here is that there is no given mileage for it to fail. They can go at any time, some fail with low milage and some fail at a lot higher mileage. So basically with the Honda auto cct's your taking a gamble every time and there is no early warning sign of a failure.
I would rather wait perhaps another 12 months, perhaps another 10k
If you would rather wait then at least go for the other option of a Stopper Mod. Have a read up here mate http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... od#p157492

:thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
macdee

Post by macdee »

Dibs
told you not to but oh no you knew better
paulp3333

Re: Kreiger, APE, Bazza and Ade Whitmarsh's CCT's

Post by paulp3333 »

Has anyone tried the Chinese ones?
They are half the price (delivered) on ebay for me here in Australia.
adewhitmarsh

Re Ade Whitmarsh's CCT's update

Post by adewhitmarsh »

Hi,just like to inform members that my manual cam chain tensioners have a o-ring fitted under the nyloc nut,which I changed over 12 months ago. If anybody has any more questions please pm me.
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Any further developments over the past 12 months, or is Wicky's and Ade's posts still the recommended advice? (Just preparing myself for what appears an essential mod.)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

No developments as far as I know.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

Hi,my tensions are still available if any owner is interest pm me or email adrianwhitmarsh@yahoo.co.uk cheers Ade
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

adewhitmarsh wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:01 am Hi,my tensions are still available if any owner is interest pm me or email adrianwhitmarsh@yahoo.co.uk cheers Ade
Can you pm me with more details please? Thanks
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Bit of an update...

Couple of weekends ago I had two Stormers at mine both for a CCT swap...

One had a set of Trackstar CCT's bought off e-bay... They came with gaskets but no bolts...

The other guy had bought a set of Ades MCCT's... No gaskets, they have an oilseal but were a pita to fit as the bottom nylock nut is quite tight so as your turning that its trying to turn the whole bolt... The dome head has no roll pin so has a lock nut of its own... Which despite a serious locking up still managed to loosen off during the fitting so the dome came loose... It was a case of going back & forth checking & re checking the tension, due to the nylock issues... Front & back... Grrrrr...

Still an interesting day swapping two different sets out... + I got free booze ... :thumbup:

The JD is nearly finished... Hic...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...